Have an account? Register

Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    Fair point, could you take a leaf out of the spring?
    i'm using a herald chassis and have just run into the problem of the massive camber when the weight is off the chassis. I've removed my spring to get the wheels upright, which has the effect of "shortening" the distance between the upper spring mounts. Having sat and stared at it for a while, i keep coming up with three options
    a picture paints a thousand words. This ain't mine, it's a spitfire, but it's the same rear set-up and shows the camber of the wheels with no weight on the body. It;s quite a lot worse that this on a herald. Although looking at that pic has made me wonder how wide a spitfire spring is.

1/ new rear spring (or strike it lucky and find one that has the correct distance between eye's- about 40 inch's with very little "arch" in my case)

2/ fit coilovers. this option means I would need some way of "tieing" the upper spring mounts to the top of the diff. to prevent them from rotating

3/ fit a complete replacement rear axle (and potentially lose some points towards my re-bodying plan)
    A bullet might have your name on it, hand grenades are addressed "to whom it may concern......."

You can never have too much red wine, too many books or too much ammunition.
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    The reason it's pulling under is that the spring is set up to carry a specific weight . No weight and it pulls in so you need a spring suited to the weight it will actually see . ie bugger all and 2 people

Re changing the axle it would need to be done without cutting any of the chassis around and using existing pick up pints already mounted.

I hear that one office is currently running a tape measure over cars to check wheelbase and failing them if they don't match their specs. This is actually incorrect. It is permisable to extend wheelbase but only using the original chassis pick up points ie extend the locating links and modify the shock itself to fit chassis not the other way round .

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    .....which kind of rules out option 3 given the type of rear end fitted. The pick up points are very specific.
    The action of the spring was noticbale in stages as I stripped the body actually, you could chart my progress by the increased camber of the springs each night!
    I have a couple of springs kicking about in the shed and garage from various places/sources, I'll offer them up first (you never know your luck) and then go from there. I don't think there is any scope to remove leaves from the original spring, although I might investigate it (the car came with a spare rear springs in the boot)
    A bullet might have your name on it, hand grenades are addressed "to whom it may concern......."

5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you can tell me the width and thickness of the spring leaves plus the length eye to eye of the main one I can tell you what weight it id designed to carry, would be a starting point.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    i'll get those fatcs together tonight chap, and respond tomorrow.

(no laptop at home at the moment, it's in PC world for it's annual Gary Glitter check)

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's a swing axle so it's always going to camber that way.Doesn't matter what leafs.springs.col overs etc you fit. The pivots of the axles dictate it's movement.
    I would fit a live axle.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I looked at the herald chassis some time ago, could you not replace the spring with 2 arms using the same mounts then fit 2 coilovers ?

cheers

Brian

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    not sure bout the triumph rear axles. but isnt it possible to get rid of the leafspring and replace with rods and go for coilover springs?
    the camber will still be like now cause of the swing axle layout, but height/camber would be easier to adjust? just thinking out loud here, sorry if it makes no sense at all

PS what totus posted at about same time as me
    Last edited by dutchrod; 07-10-2010 at 17:47.
    teach your children to think, not what to think.
    I am different, just like you.

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cheap, no frills fix...try a camber compensator from a VW. You are trying to limit the travel at the top mount with various suggestions so why not limit it at the bottom?

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie Low Expectations's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Can't you just through a couple of bags of cement on top of it, to weigh it down. Lol.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in