Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

Brush on bedliner type stuff?

819 views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  yukonphil 
#1 ·
Reading a thread over on RR, the builder (Dez, Chevy/Ranger) has sprayed the inside not the cab with Cobra bedliner, it looks great and would be ideal for me as even with new seals all round the Moggy still leaks so I don't want to fit carpets. However, I don't have access to spraying gear and it's gonna be quite messy so is there something I could brush on that's tough and durable? Many thanks.

#8 ·
You can brush Raptor on. Even though the instructions say spray i have tested it for brushing suitability in several thicknesses (from approx 125micron up to 1500 micron) and it works fine. At the heavier thickness it retains a slight "rubberised" status but doesnt exhibit cracking over time.
I am a qualified coatings inspector with the institute of corrosion, so i do all kinds of trials on coatings in a variety of thicknesses to see how they perform over long periods.

#12 ·
Sorry for not explaining better. The 1500 micron (1.5mm) id the dry film thickness (DFT) and this is measured after full curing time has elapsed. The wet film thickness (WFT) is much thicker during application. The best way to decide if you think you are putting too much on with a brush is to apply the heaviest even coat you can in a horizontal stripe on a vertical surface and see if it sags in the brush marks. If it does, just back off a bit with the thickness until it doesnt sag, then you will have a good rule of thumb to work with.
You will be surprised how thin paint is when applied with a brush. The industrial painters i oversee can do brush work quite accurately to gain 300 micron over a couple of coats.

#13 ·
Thanks for the explanation, I reckon I have a goodish feel for what might be considered a decent coating based on your advice. I'm quite well practiced having painted my entire car with a 25mm brush chased over with a foam roller, yes it's as rough as, but I love it :lol:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.