Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  1
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by yukonphil View Post
    Ah, now that's very interesting, thank you. I know it's a difficult one but could you put the micron thickness into layman's terms please, ie, would I have to try REALLY hard to get a 1500 micron coating on in one go with a brush?
    A micron (in these metric times) is a millionth of a metre, so a thousandth of a millimetre. 1500 microns is 1.5mm, 100 microns is 0.1mm (4 thou in old money, about a human hair width).
    Screw EU

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Welding Guru
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Sorry for not explaining better. The 1500 micron (1.5mm) id the dry film thickness (DFT) and this is measured after full curing time has elapsed. The wet film thickness (WFT) is much thicker during application. The best way to decide if you think you are putting too much on with a brush is to apply the heaviest even coat you can in a horizontal stripe on a vertical surface and see if it sags in the brush marks. If it does, just back off a bit with the thickness until it doesnt sag, then you will have a good rule of thumb to work with.
    You will be surprised how thin paint is when applied with a brush. The industrial painters i oversee can do brush work quite accurately to gain 300 micron over a couple of coats.

4. Likesdrseg liked this post
    Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by weldtech View Post
    Sorry for not explaining better. The 1500 micron (1.5mm) id the dry film thickness (DFT) and this is measured after full curing time has elapsed. The wet film thickness (WFT) is much thicker during application. The best way to decide if you think you are putting too much on with a brush is to apply the heaviest even coat you can in a horizontal stripe on a vertical surface and see if it sags in the brush marks. If it does, just back off a bit with the thickness until it doesnt sag, then you will have a good rule of thumb to work with.
    You will be surprised how thin paint is when applied with a brush. The industrial painters i oversee can do brush work quite accurately to gain 300 micron over a couple of coats.
    Thanks for the explanation, I reckon I have a goodish feel for what might be considered a decent coating based on your advice. I'm quite well practiced having painted my entire car with a 25mm brush chased over with a foam roller, yes it's as rough as, but I love it

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information