Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  0
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Car cover ?

Images
    Post Thanks / Like

QuestionCar cover ?

I did a search but nothing came up so i'm starting a new thread.

With the onset of winter and garage space being a premium i need to park the lowrider outside for much of the winter whilst the garage is reserved for a camper that needs welding so i need a decent car cover to put over the buick, any recommendations, things to look for, do's and dont's ?

I've got an indoor dust cover thing that works just fine but was wondering about an outside cover blowing about and rubbing continually against the paint etc ??

Any brands recommended or steer clear ?
    http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h271/unityjon/500x100-buick-banner.jpg
    ...There is no 'old school', thats just lowriding how its supposed to be

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have a fabric breathable one for my Tbird. Don't use a plastic type as the car will get damp underneath from condensation and will never dry off properly.
    '62 Ford Thunderbird
    '81 Datsun Bluebird SSS Turbo
    '81 Datsun Bluebird SSS

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Some say that even the fabric breathable ones can cause good paint to micro-blister, but that might just be people excusing poor preparartion. My '34 spent five years or more under a carport with a weatherproof fabric cover and the fenders blistered like hell, but that was more likely a result the crap paint job.

I have a couple of those folding 'peramulator' covers, which I reckon are great. You obviously need one bigger than the car to avoid any contact, so the longer it is, the taller it will be. I have the heavy duty plastic-canvas ones, and would say there are two problems with them: firstly, although they have breather vents, they tend to get condensation on the inside so you would want to open it up regularly to dry out. Secondly, the frames are made of 3/4" electrical conduit so are a bit flimsy - I have made heavy duty base frames for both of mine from galvanized water pipe. They can collect water in the dips if they are not kept taut. and heavy snow needs to be swept off or there is a danger of the frame collapsing sideways.

One of mine should be up for sale soon as I have more or less finished my garage, but I don't think it would be big enough for your lowrider.

5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have used a breathable shower proof universal ( that means it gets soaking wet in anything but a fine drizzle) . It has rubbed and chaffed the paint , more so when it is wet AND windy as the cover is then tight against the panel and being blown about.

Personally I'd rather leave the car outside fully waxed and greased up for a lay up ,seems to be less damage than when left under cover.

Likewise it DOES appear that covering causes microblistering , a friend had it happen just with blankets left on a car inside a garage

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    good stuff, and nice to hear from people that have actually had problems, rather than just 'hear-say' i'm begning to think a lock up for the winter would be a better investment than a cover !
    http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h271/unityjon/500x100-buick-banner.jpg
    ...There is no 'old school', thats just lowriding how its supposed to be

Official RnS Addict Hot Rod Widow's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Its funny how different people get on better with different products, i had a Covercraft cover on my 68 Cadillac Fleetwood a few years back and it wrecked the paint.

In recent years i've had good success with Cover Systems, they are a thinner silver material. They are semi tailored which seems to let the car breathe and dry better after a rain fall
    Looking for a 50s car, Cadillac, Buick, Pontiac, Oldsmobile, Chevy, cash waiting. Message me or call 07836 349356

Official RnS Addict Hot Rod Widow's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Motorama View Post
    Its funny how different people get on better with different products, i had a Covercraft cover on my 68 Cadillac Fleetwood a few years back and it wrecked the paint.

In recent years i've had good success with Cover Systems, they are a thinner silver material. They are semi tailored which seems to let the car breathe and dry better after a rain fall
    Just realised it not done a winter, so thanks for that, will watch it and see how it goes....

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I had a Cover Systems silver cover on my '55 Ford pickup for a year or so. The truck was always wet after rain where the cover touched, but it dried out quickly. My 'paintjob' was a sort of primer finish and the cover definitely polished the surface where it moved around in the wind, so might be something to consider.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    after the problems i had with the Covercraft i tend to remover the cover once a week and dry the car, i also make sure there's plent of wax on the car to minimise chafing damage, also keep windows down a tiny bit to keep the inside dry

i would have liked one of the outside Carcoons but they are a fortune for a Cadillac size one
    Looking for a 50s car, Cadillac, Buick, Pontiac, Oldsmobile, Chevy, cash waiting. Message me or call 07836 349356

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information