Forgot your username?

Likes Likes: †2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Car lifts

Images
    Post Thanks / Like

Car lifts

Ive come to the conclusion that climbing around on the floor trying to get to something under the car is a young mans game. So Iíve decided Iím going to treat myself to a car lift.
    Iíve already trimmed the joiners in the garage so I can get enough height, however, saying that....I can only get a mid rise lift (about 4foot).
    Iím leaning towards a 2 post which are on eBay for about £1300. I know that they are nowhere near the quality of a 4 grand version....but this is only a hobby. Another option Iíve looked at is the scissor type. Although access isnít as good as the 2 post it does have the advantage of being mobile so I can work on the drive in the summer.
    Has anyone on hear got either type and a review? And does the scissor lift lift the car up perfectly straight??? By that I mean is if I use it in the garage and space is tight....will it lift in a straight line or will the back of the car get shifted backwards as it goes up?

Russ

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    mate of mine up the road has got 1 of the 2 post lifts £1200 installed on single phase rated at 3.5 tonne he asked the seller if it will really do that and was told it will lift 5 tonne max but no problem with 3.5 continuously
    at least dick turpin had the decency to wear a mask!

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 352 kum View Post
    mate of mine up the road has got 1 of the 2 post lifts £1200 installed on single phase rated at 3.5 tonne he asked the seller if it will really do that and was told it will lift 5 tonne max but no problem with 3.5 continuously
    i wondered what they were like was going to go for a four post once i move
    keeping vintage iron alive

5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have a cheap four poster in my garden.was about 1500. It's ok but I'm not sure I'd want to yank a car around too much on it.its not as sturdy as the Bradbury it replaced.

I have a two poster inside.thats what is recommend. I can't get trucks up full height so just work underneath on a stool. A scissor lift would be too restrictive.great for working on wheels ect but not for day exhausts
    Rod/custom/drag build profiles:
    Mini | Pop | Porker | Trike | Morris 8

| 48 chevy coupe | ford f100 | tube chassis,d pop

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    How thick of a floor do you need for a two post..?

The Oddlot Drag Racing Team...havin fun is usual
    57 chevy wagon.
    540cui altered.
    your not drunk enough if you can lie on the floor without holding on..

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lift manufacturers sometimes say what depth you need. My floor is six inches.

you could always dig out where the pads are going to go so you have a deeper base and tie it into the existing concrete.

Lifts really do make life easy
    Rod/custom/drag build profiles:
    Mini | Pop | Porker | Trike | Morris 8

| 48 chevy coupe | ford f100 | tube chassis,d pop

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nothing really to do with the question you originaly asked Russ but, if your circumstances change and you go for a 4 post lift, I would recommend one that is for cars only as the one I have was from BT and is for twin wheeled vehicles. Whilst I'm not moaning, if I could have another one I'd go for one with narrower beds. Also, as I own 2 1950's Vauxhalls, I don't think a lift that holds the vehicle up by it's floorpan would suit me, if you know what I mean. I'm guessing a pit isn't an option Russ?

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    With a two post make sure the floor is reinforced where it is mounted, I don't think they'll be safe on normal 4 inch concrete. The garage I MOT at had to have the floor re-laid with special concrete although that may be to do with elf and safety but you still don't want it collapsing inwards due to substandard foundation

11. LikesTorment liked this post
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think my floor is around 5 inches. I’m going to dig out where the posts sit and put 2 foot by 2 foot concrete pages down with long studs instead of usual fixings

Images
    Post Thanks / Like

This is mine 2700kg will lift to chest height even more with the risers on, brilliant piece of kit, there is no end bar restriction only the centre frame.
    If quitters never win, and winners never cheat, then who is the fool who said "Quit while you're ahead"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information