Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

Concept pic

Tags
concept pic
4K views 31 replies 18 participants last post by  classicchris 
#1 ·
Inspired by a guy who's building a 105E Anglia truck in the "Garage" section, How about a Consul Classic Pickup?

I've reversed the rear pillars to make the roof flow into the rear quaters and kept all the original trim to make it look as much like a factory body style as poss. The basic idea was to make a British size Ranchero or El Camino bt then you probably worked that out already.

See less See more
#8 ·
There used to be one just like it in Stafford in the early 80's cut and welded by Al Maiden ( couped devon builder) looked just right but needed a proper tailgate making for a true factory look.

Rich

#23 ·
I did know.
Strange as my mate Martyn Payne has just taken delivery of a clean, black plate, California 61 Falcon wagon and when I went to check it out last week, I couldn't help noticing the similarities. Odd that this thread occurred now. I actually like the Kenyan one, it has a sort of Nash styling to it. Very period correct, like the Farnham wagons or the Abbott (?) PA Crestas.

#17 ·
The estate was owned by John Cantwell and I beleive Rob Bamford now owns it. There is a concepy photo out there somewhere Tootall that look just like yours, basically looks like a Classic / Capri fronted Minx estate.

Jez, I know of probably 5 or 6 pick ups. First one was built by Steve Smith ( Jagos foreman ) back in around '74 as we swapped a lot of bits as I was building my first Capri at the time.
It was featured in Hot Car a little later I think, had full width sequential red indicators and tail lights.

Steve Loder built one which is now ownedeby Capri Club stalwart Ray Brandon plus there was a yellow /blue chopped/hardtopped one owned by Russ Baker at one stage.

#18 ·
As Kapri states I owned the blue/yellow/chopped/hardtopped pick up for a while, originally built by Alan of Al's Classic's. Bought another roof to weld back on, would have come out something like the concept, but moved it on.

Actually thanks for nothing Tootall, I've always fancied a 2 door Classic wagen and your picture turns up just as I have to move all my old Classic Capri stuff............. LOL

#28 ·
You are cutting/altering into the monococque so you would lose the identity I'm afraid . About the only body style change you can do without problems is making an estate into a van by welding rear doors shut and steel over rear windows. If you cut the B pillar to lengthen the door you are back in BIVA territory.

The biggest problem with BIVA for customs is having EC43 spec glass but ,I think, EC43 front screen is available for Capri(but not Classic) as they still used the screen in some Elans and later Granadas I think.

Details about legality on our website here

http://www.the-ace.org.uk/Chassis-and-Monocoque-Modification.html

#32 · (Edited)
thanks for the reply kapri
i would be keeping all four doors as factory the cutting/fabrication would be around the back window and roof only (and any reinforcing required underside) somthing like the converted one from kenya just four door,but as you say its still cutting into the structure
do you or anyone else know are abbot /farnham estates shown as converted on the logbook or are they shown as saloons?
thanks chris

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.