Have an account? Register

Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  0
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    the angle of the steering rod fromthe box he ses thats wrong the rear cross member , not enough detail ,,, to plain and the front spring set up was copyed by lots of people , the reson dans name is put on it is the frt end ,, sorry g he could be wrong but its just on observation , its still a nice t ,

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by onehot.t View Post
    the angle of the steering rod fromthe box he ses thats wrong the rear cross member , not enough detail ,,, to plain and the front spring set up was copyed by lots of people , the reson dans name is put on it is the frt end ,, sorry g he could be wrong but its just on observation , its still a nice t ,
    Im in contact with the new owner so I will ask him?
    built by hand NOT by computer

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Seems like its hit Custom car.

Heres a few words from the new owner...

When the car was for sale in LA, Curt Hamilton who worked with Dan back in the day (Google him) came by to see it and confirmed it was a Dan Woods built Car....I am working on getting the history on it. The motor was changed somewhere along the line as it is a late 70 early 80s 305. I have seen the cool steering wheels Dan would put on some of his cars with the spokes going all the way down to the floor! If you look at some of his other cars you will see the same "column" design this one has...

So is it s DW or not. For me it is.
    G

5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    it might end up being rebuilt but without pictures of how it was it will be a hard thankless task as everybody who has nothing to do with it will have an opinion on it , you never know it might end up better than ever , who knows where it'll end up

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    At this time, Doug, the new owner says it runs and drives just fine, so he is planning to leave as is.

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    oh and if anyone watched Dan Woods on "chop cut rebuild" sorry but thats a different DW.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    is that the same guy that presents "chop cut rebuild" ?

bugger must type quicker... lol

I'm a newbie !
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by onehot.t View Post
    This in all likelyhood is a Woods built car, not a copy - Looks like it to me as it has Dan's signature all over it including the widened Buick wires at the rear - although that front brake caliper setup is definately not from Dan.
    The drag link angle is typical Woods as is the rear crossmember. Dan normally used the aluminium Corvar steering box which dropped the piman arm and draglink down low on LHD cars unless it was reversed - bump steer was built in anyhow with the long/short front radius rods. The rear crossmember was as Woods always built 'em for T buckets using Jag rearends - plain with no frills. He used diagonally cut heavy angle to form the two sides of the diff' mounting pad with the centre angled portion boxed in, and simple drilled & tapped round bar welded directly to the underside of the crossmember for the spring mounts.....Dan's an engineer not an artist.

Although the opposed coil front suspension / sectioned body T bucket is always accredited to Dan, the front suspension was in fact designed, or at least rendered, by Ed Newton although the original concept may have been Dan's - or vice versa - I'll ask him. In any case the whole thing was originally prototyped while Dan was working at J & J chassis works prior to Dan starting CCW in Paramount on his own account.....Horizontal coils working through bellcranks was not a completely new concept at that time (certain Rover's used the same idea but applied in a different way), although it was a new and quite radical application for hot rods.

Also, although the sectioned body has always been known as a Woods trademark for '15 T's this mod' was first seen on the red 215 Buick powered T which Dan traded for the Milk Truck in the 60s. Dan didn't build that T bucket but he may have modified it, it was originally built by an LA roadster club member as far as I'm aware & who's name I can't recall. Again, I'll ask Dan how that came about.

Although the opposed coil FE is certainly a good looking setup, it does leave something to be desired as originally designed regarding geometry. The long / short radius arms impose a negative caster change through suspension bump and rebound due to their differing arcs - the trick is to make the lower arm as long as possible and adjust the angle relative to the ground so it will work within acceptable limits. Also, the underside of the front crossmember is not the optimum place to locate the rear of the short lower arm - using too steep an angle relative to the ground, the upper radius rods and vehicle motion will generate too much anti dive during braking and could in worst case even lift the front crossmember and unload the springs.....it's no problem at all on cars without front brakes as there's no torque reaction on the front axle. I always attempted to make this lower arm as long as possible by mounting it behind / below the radiator.
    The rod end shackles as used by Dan between the axle and bellcranks created a certain amount of lateral movement of the chassis during cornering, much in the same way shackles on a leaf spring do unless some means of sway bar / panhard rod is fitted, but then it can get too complicated and visually fussy. The rod end shackles would create more lateral movement than conventional spring shackles obviously as they are longer between centres. Most of these nuances can be overcome by lengthening & triangulating the lower radius rod to make an apex locator with the rear mounts further back on either side beneath the frame rails. All in all though the setup works & looks great.

Curt Hamilton's name also came up here....Curt along with Bud Lang, under the company name of Cal Automotive, manufactured the first 'commercially available' 'Glass T bodies - '23s (....actually 1922 style), in 1959. However, the very first 'Glass T body known to be made came from a setup known as Diablo speed shop just prior to Cal Auto's introduction of their '23 body. It seems only one is known to exist and found it's way onto....Buzz or, Bud, Ibsen's model A chassied '23 roadster pickup (I think I've got the name correct ?). Anyhow, this car was by all accounts the first 'glass bodied hot rod ever built.
    Last edited by Mr Ed; 27-05-2013 at 14:23.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Very close with the name Ed, twas Buzz Pitzen , I've had the article saved for quite awhile.

The World's First Fiberglass T-Bucket Hot Rod: Buzz Pitzen's "Glass Image" - Part I - TBucketPlans.com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information