Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  0
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

A Dodgey adventure...

I've put a lot of thought into what we want out of our time recently and decided that it was time to sell the Austin and get something turnkey that we could just hop in and drag a bike along behind. Bought a new truck yesterday...a 1964 Dodge A100, 170c.i. slant six and a manual three on the tree trans'. Picked it up from Derbyshire (150 miles from home) on a Friday of a Bank Holiday weekend and set off back down the M1 at commuter run time... The seller was good enough to guide us to a filling station and then to lead us off towards the nearest motorway junction. After fueling up I just couldn't get the column change to select smoothly but put it down to my lack of expertise in my new left hand drive "experience" and a bit of nervousness/trepidation. Thankfully the motorway wasn't anywhere near as bad as it had been on our way up and we made reasonable, if wobbly, progress. Until we got to the M69 junction, that is. As I accelerated, in the sort of manner that glaciers do, I lost the gearchange entirely. Yep, on the outside of a line of traffic, in the wrong lane and desperate to get over to the hard shoulder I had a choice of first gear or... err, first... Credit to white van man on my inside as he understood my hand gesture for what it was and gave me enough room to crawl over to a halt. A quick sortie under the truck and a bit of fairly random prodding and poking and we were off again. Amazingly with only minor fettling we made it all the way back to the quiet countryside of our humble abode. Or very nearly. At the top of our hill I pulled over to let a car pass (it's all single track up here) and that was that. No amount of prodding or poking would give me anything other than first. By now it was dark so I settled for a very slow trundle for the last few hundred yards to home and pulled onto the drive with no gear change, no brake lights, no speedo', a random assortment of fixings rolling around the cab floor where stuff had rattled loose and definite case of tinnitus... Not sure this was the ideal vehicle for a trip to Hot Rods and Hills next year...

Anyway, I've got the gearchange working again to a useable extent - one of the linkage bushings had disintegrated, tightened up various loose bits, had a bit of a play and given it a wash and it ain't arf pretty... What I would like to sort out tho' is the steering, I know these things aren't dynamically brilliant but I'm sure it could be better than this; I've already had a go at adjusting and there is no more adjustment left. Anyone know where I could get a rebuild kit or the box rebuilt? Cheers...

And I'm not having a moan at the seller - just a short, light hearted tale of living with a fifty year old truck. Here it is...

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    looks very nice
    could do with some carpet and taller tyres imo
    need a job done on your project? i may be able to help.

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Always thought these a little quirky - but very nice

5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    A hop in and go would be nice but never happens, been there, very nice truck so Iam sure youll make it so

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    It might get some carpet but new tyres are out - I'm skint!
    Definitely quirky...
    I know if I'd really wanted "turnkey" I'd have been better off with a nice modern summat, but I bet the tale above is one that a few folk can relate to...

Forum Sponsor RAYS CLASSICS.COM's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    These & econolines have always been my favourite trucks , had quite a few , needs a set of old torqthrusts to really set it off, looks like one I sent to Nick smith at Dixie motors a few yrs ago ,you,ll enjoy it once you get used to it, they,re a great little truck . RAY A in sf

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well remembered, Ray. Import documents show a Nicholas Smith of Hampshire back in 2011. Looked like this for a while...

Grown up? Never!
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Love it!
    I've yet to buy a car that hasn't had something fall off or brake on the drive home, so good going

Chaley
    And on the 6th day Man created god.
    Tetanus

American Truck importer v8.jimmy's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice truck that A100 mate, I love them and the Econolines. I have a 5 window Econoline project truck here which I need to get into at some point.

many years ago I viewed a '60 ElCamino in Lewes, East Sussex, and when I returned home and decided to buy it, I drove my old Ford Ranger to Birmingham and met the Camino owner and swapped over. Wipers packed in in heavy rain as I was approaching Glasgow to drop my mate off and then it wouldn't start at his house when i was heading for home. Jump started it and it made it home with no wipers. Became my daily for 2 years.
    Since trading in American trucks I had an English guy, 71 years of age, fly over from his home in Alicante and drive this '63 Chevy C10 home

We had put in a recon engine, went through brakes, etc to get it MOTd and registered, sent him off with a spare wheel, engine oil, water/anti freeze mix (as it was 3 days before Xmas), gear oil. I was ****ting myself to be honest but he made it home on Xmas eve with no problems and it didn't use any oil or water.
    More recently had a couple of guys fly up from Essex with return flights, but decided to drive this home. 1968 F250. My gut feeling was that it would make it as I had sold it in Scotland a couple of years previous, and the owner had used and improved it, and when I bought it back I drove it about as well.

and most recently another bum clencher for me. An English guy and his Swiss wife flew over from Switzerland to buy a '57 Chevy truck, which they got collected and delivered to them, but 6 months later came back for this '64 Dodge D200, and decided to drive it home! Nick said to me smiling "it runs well on the motorway, you said so when you MOTd it". My reply "yes but I also told you the ****er broke down in the fast lane at 80mph with fuel trouble which we're not 100% sure we've cured. Please have it delivered" "Nope, it'll make it" he said. So after a meal out with my wife and myself, they set off next morning. They were stopping at his daughter's in York for the night, then taking the Hull ferry. So, he ran out of fuel half an hour from daughter's house, but other than that they made it home, though it was spluttering a bit for the last 3 miles. Turned out there was crud in the bottom of the tank which was being picked up now and again, so a good clean out and both trucks are used daily in good weather. I know a 50 plus year old truck is not my problem once it leaves my yard, but it doesn't mean that I don't worry about it and wouldn't feel responsible if it broke down, so the buyers go off on a jolly and I sit and worry lol.

and now, this '67 El Camino is about to be driven down to Essex on Wednesday. I've done a total of 30 miles in it..............................aaaaarrrrggghhh!!! ! I'll be totally bald by Thursday!

Last edited by v8.jimmy; 27-08-2017 at 09:40. Reason: typos as usual

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jimmy - love some of your stories on here, and, yes, can relate to some of those above. I've nearly always traveled for my vehicles and love the anticipation/excitement and sometimes, even, danger involved. Me and the missus always say, "We're going on a little adventure" (and I normally quote from The Hobbit about not leaving home without a handkerchief! Sad, I know). Feel the same as you when selling tho', few years back I sold a 1962 Triumph Tiger 100SS custom bike that I'd built from boxes of bits, only time I rode it was to m.o.t. - never did hear from the buyer so I lie awake at night sometimes wondering just how much further he still has to push it...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information