Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  7
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kapri View Post
    Definitely the bloke on the dyno needs to know what he's doing and most haven't a clue when it comes to carbs . Our nearest rr is run by efi blokes and does a couple of back to back power runs cheaply which shows enough info for me to go away and play .

I'm not looking for ultimate power just making sure it's working as should .

It's just that most seem to chose air filters by how they look as opposed to how they perform . Spend £20 too little and any other go faster bits simply can't work to full potential .

Suppliers generally don't seem to know about what they're selling either . In the 4 pot world of tuning seems that some are relying on past glories to sell the same old stuff..
    the ones that amuse me are the ones that say they have gas flowed a head at home and have no idea how to or have the equipment to do so
    at least dick turpin had the decency to wear a mask!

2. LikesMagman liked this post
  3. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by choppedblownpop View Post
    It was one of their “tops”

We ran back to back tests, and the top cost power, went back to the chrome top after that.
    That's the one! Despite the fella at RS telling me they're useless I bought one, for looks. Lol it got destroyed later.
    After many years of internet learning I understand that maintaining velocity is crucial so too wide an opening is no good.
    Mates got an S2000 and it has a huge calming air box from which required volume is drawn.
    We all know that velocity stacks can deny air at speed!?

Anyhoo, I spent tortuous months making a proper four branch manifold for a stock 1703cc Consul and fitted a Nikki Carb to make it a rip snorting Cossie killer. Er no, it's all relative, it will only ever be an old anchor, full stop.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    For those that have a Motor Trend account,Engine Master did a lot of back to back tests of air filter types
    on an engine dyno to prove what works and what sucks.

Dave

6. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Official RnS Addict legendlives's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rockstar View Post
    For those that have a Motor Trend account,Engine Master did a lot of back to back tests of air filter types
    on an engine dyno to prove what works and what sucks.

Dave
    "what sucks"

Engine Masters do cover a lot of 'what works' tests. Their investigation into damaging headers is well worth a watch.
    Last edited by legendlives; 18-07-2020 at 02:13.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 352 kum View Post
    the ones that amuse me are the ones that say they have gas flowed a head at home and have no idea how to or have the equipment to do so
    ...and then set up as business selling them !!

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    there must be lots of tuning work done,that doesnt actually improve anything,expecially on road cars. maybe slightly different on race cars where youre flat out all the time.

saw some interesting dyno results very recently on lambretta engine case porting and gas flowing.something ive done befor to match the transfers of the barrels,and one mod all the tuners have raved about for years.

results on the dyno was it did nothing to improve either torque or hp. some fella,s just set a new flying mile record on a lambretta of 127mph with no crankcase mods.

makes you think doesnt it
    Rod/custom/drag build profiles:
    Mini | Pop | Porker | Trike | Morris 8

| 48 chevy coupe | ford f100 | tube chassis,d pop

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    A lot of people build race engines for street cars hunting the ultimate bragging rights or just hooning sideways round roundabout in a big cloud of smoke, or the rodding scne 'ultimate' , the burnout , does nothing for me at all.

There's always someone quicker than 'you'.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Kinda what I alluded to earlier. It's all relative. I pored over the Vizard budget small block Chevy book and it was clear all the little blue printing port matching stuff in reality meant nowt (but collectively on the track a big deal, longevity etc). Nice to 'blueprint' as it makes you feel warm inside, kinda like emptying the ashtrays and it goes faster. On street cars it has to be summat bigger than a few random 1hp tweaks.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think a lot of Vizard’s stuff produced extra power more as a side effect of just building an engine with more accuracy than a manufacturer would have done on a production line. Making sure that the crank shells were exactly to size, match weighting rods, port matching and blue printing etc will produce a much more reliable and smooth engine with the added bonus of a few extra horsepower because of it.
    Apply the same techniques to a race engine and you’ll do well. Randomly bolting on heads, a cam and a big carb isn’t getting the best out of a standard engine or the tuning parts you’ve spent so much hard earned on.

Just my 2p worth and could be totally worthless!!

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I remember a mate discovering secondary vacuum springs on a Holley. He went through the lot eventually ending up with the weakest and it ran like ****e and he was moaning about the economy. Powers costs

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information