Have an account? Register

Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  0
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'd just like to say a little word of thanks in here even though I didn't go. A BIG thanks you to the Spirit of the Fifties guys , and associated others ,who contributed so much to our early days.I always marvelled at those of Yank 'tanks' and the guys who were rich enough ( or so I thought and that's been put right by all the stories shared on the various forums ) and focused enough to to souce spares to keep them running in the days pre 'net .

Likewise I never knew Dave Grady other than by reputation and articles about him. I am truly touched by the obvious fondness with which you all remember him and also his input into the scene in general .

We have lost , far too early , many others from those early days .

That my friends is what history is about , not just the cars but the characters and the shared laughs and moments .That's why we must remember it and not allow memories to fade or be brushed aside.

Well done to Stew and Milton for putting this together and keeping the spirit alive.

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Official RnS Addict Steve 5-6-7's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Battersea Boys View Post
    And a massive thank you to Pat, Steve and the girls who came in like the cavalry and done so much to make it happen! x
    We loved doing it , look how happy Sue is standing next to the car from the Take That Video
    Nostalgia.......it's the future

Official RnS Addict Steve 5-6-7's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    ........................and now that I have nearly recovered MASSIVE thanks from Sue and me for what was an absolutely legendary night . Your genorosity was beyond belief , the night was planned to perfection and for once I think I was lost for words .
    When the cheers went up for Bonners car it took me back to the late '70's on the A30 at Hook watching Martin race Dick Lambert's Charger , shivers went down my spine!
    I concidered it an Honour to have been invited , and an Honour to have been treated so well !
    I left the car scene in about '96 for a number of reasons but am back , full on and after Saturday night I know I made the right decision . Bumping into some old friends like Roger whom I'd not seen since about '95 it was like we'd only spoken last month Also Gary Kerval , brilliant to see him again .
    Stewart and Milton you have confirmed to me how great this "hobby" is and how fantastic the people are ! Serious big thanks you guys for one of the best nights ever ! Being kissed by you both never was on my list but hey I won't tell anyone if you don't
    Nostalgia.......it's the future

5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Cadillac fanatic MR1958CADILLAC's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    It has been a few days now since the movie night and still it is the highest topic of conversation around me.

Let me explain why....?

I have managed to speak to many new people and several old friends too from both the forums over the last 18 months and suddenly the jigsaw was pieced together on Saturday night, it really shows how close our community is. it was so nice to put faces to the names, and to meet and greet although they are very familiar and have been talked about for over 30 years by older members of my family, I really felt like I knew everyone in attendance.

For those of you that may NOT know, both me and my twin brother Simon "Prostreet70gto " grew up in Brixton during the late seventies early eighties, and was always that little bit too young to be taken out cruisin by our older brothers ( Nigel and Trever Lowis ). We always had a fair selection of super cool cars at our house and often managed to blag the odd lift to the Chelsea cruise with one of the gang. Its hard to explain what goes through a 10 year olds mind when all you want to do is be part of the action, I would beg, plead and often wash the cars of the people that came around just to get that all important ride to the cruise ( You all know who you are...? ), Yes I did feel like a pest 30 years ago, and for many years I have often wondered if I would ever be considered as part of the crew one day, for many years I was known as Trevor's little brother, but having owned many 50's yanks myself now, and made friends with many of you all through both shows and the internet, I was really blown away by the fact that nearly everyone knew who I was. Some of you had NOT seen me since I was a wee laddy, but you still knew what cars I had owned....very humbling indeed.
    I really was not expecting to be talking about most of the things that came out on Satuday, I was expecting the usual carshow kind of chat, you know all petrol and ********, but what came out was from the heart memories, raw emotion and the power of friendship.

Since I have already said thank you to Ken, Milton and Stewart.... I would also like to say a massive thank you to the rest of you, you have inspired me most of my life and I am so glad to be able to call you my friends too.

All the best to everyone that came along.

A still very stunned Spencer.

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hello. Well. I've had a few days to think about the movie nite. And as Spencer ended his last post. I to am still stunned. Greengrocer had the right word for it in an earlier post. Magical he called it. And it was. From the moment I arrived it just got better and better. I did arrive feeling a bit nervous. About what I really dont know. But as soon as I met up with Milton I was made to feel so welcome. Then along came Stew. Again. Made to feel so welcome. From the moment I first arrived it was as though I had been transported back in time to the early 60's to an American workshop. This is where the magic began for me. Then I got to meet Milt and Stew. The magic continued when I saw the movie theatre that had been made for the night. There are all these real nice people standing around talking over old times. I was talking to Milt when Marylin Monroe comes gliding in. Milt says"You remember my little sister". It's about now I am thinking this is all a dream. (I'm sounding like Toad at the end of Grafitti) Then, Henry Hi-rise comes in on the back of Bigjob. In fact. Too much happened that night. And it was all fabulous. Thanks again guys for all the work you put in and the memories that were brought back. Ken.

Official RnS Addict Battersea Boys's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    It really is hard for any of us to put in to words - I had a picture in my mind of a balmy summer evening with little groups of people acquainting and re-acquainting themselves with each other, standing round a load of nice cars, drinking bubbly whilst girls offered canapes, then we'd all walk up the red carpet and sit down to watch some amazing cine film footage (I'd decided weeks ago I wanted to see it for the first time with everyone!)

When that all happened, the love, friendship, emotion and camaraderie that I think is unique to this great hobby just flowed through in bucket loads - now the garage is back to normal, its hard to believe that anything ever went on - okay the clean floor is a bit of a giveaway but it did transform in to a magical place on Saturday night - it didn't feel at all like our garage.

We can only thank everyone for the such fantastic stuff that has been said and without question it was those that came that made the night so enchanting!

Going on from what Rog said - and I'm still not a 100% sure he hadn't been on the sauce - I think 20th of June should be a special anniversary for us whether we celebrate it at a show, a group barbie with a game of volleyball or a night at a cinema but I reckon it should be 'Spirit of the Fifties Day (or night!) - since the club was the nucleus that got us all together!

Once again I apologise for not getting the Skype link up sorted - I really wish I had now!

Thank you again to all, with all my heart! x

Stew

I'm a grown up member now !
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

Talkingwhat a night

Any night that ends up in milton sleeping in the ghost buster wagon, young donald some where sleeping in the offices stu needing assistance to get to his cab & me sleeping in the arm chairs in the middle of the yard waking at 10.30 surrounded by some very nice wheels must have been one hell of a night. thanks boys & girls for a great great night & even in these tough times it seems the gang spared no expense to put a great show on cheers every one
    Last edited by little g; 23-06-2009 at 09:53.

Rest in Peace
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry that we woke you, we couldn't believe our eyes when we went to pick up Bigjob and you emerged from some settees in the yard. Milton the appeared looking remarkably like he did the night before.
    Rog.
    If some's good, more's better and too much is just enough

I'm a grown up member now !
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

no problem

Quote Originally Posted by SG57 View Post
    Sorry that we woke you, we couldn't believe our eyes when we went to pick up Bigjob and you emerged from some settees in the yard. Milton the appeared looking remarkably like he did the night before.
    Rog.
    the gatwick express & all the other trains flying by couldnt wake me but the bmw did. can just picture it little johny from the train window saying mum look at them great cars & why is there a man sleeping on a sofa in the middle of the yard lol

Exceeded sell by date Plumpcars's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Little G which one is you in the pics? You gotta remember that last time I saw you I think you were about 12 !!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information