Ford 9" pinion crush spacer stockist - UK?
Have an account? Register

Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  0
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Compulsive chicken choker English Impala's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

Ford 9" pinion crush spacer stockist - UK?

Anyone know who in the UK will have these? I'm having to replace the pinion oil seal in my 1957 9" axle, the seal will be here Monday but I also need the crush-spacer. The US stockists that have these want $63 to ship (seriously.........) so I'm after a UK supplier.

From what I can see, while the seal is 1957-specific, the crush spacer is common for many years.

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Exceeded sell by date Plumpcars's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Robinson Race Cars or Hausers.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    they're a pain in the arse, when you're ringing round see if anybody does a spacer and shim kit instead.

5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    They're a pain to set up correctly as they need tightening down to set crownwheel clerance rather than just a torque setting. Personally I'd go with slowly adding more pounds to a torque wrench until you feel it click and 'go'. Count the number of turns off as well and then duplicate when refitting . 8 out of 10 times it'll work .
    Last edited by kapri; 02-08-2017 at 11:30.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Take the pumpkin out & get a pro shop to set it up. Get pre load wrong and you will need new gears after a while.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kapri View Post
    Their a pain to set up correctly as they need tightening down to set crownwheel clerance rather than just a torque setting. Personally I'd go with slowly adding more pounds to a torque wrench until you feel it click and 'go'. Count the number of turns off as well and then duplicate when refitting . 8 out of 10 times it'll work .
    I'd heard about that method but the nut turned out to be loose, so I suspect the previous owner dismantled it and just left it finger tight. I completely missed it, I never normally assume that anything is tight unless I check it first, kicking myself really as I changed all the bearings & seals on the axle shafts before refitting it!

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpopracing View Post
    Take the pumpkin out & get a pro shop to set it up. Get pre load wrong and you will need new gears after a while.
    After watching a few Youtube videos on doing it I'm coming to the conclusion that I'd be better off letting someone that knows what they're do this.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by English Impala View Post
    After watching a few Youtube videos on doing it I'm coming to the conclusion that I'd be better off letting someone that knows what they're do this.
    it's a doddle with the knowledge and correct torque gauge. Click type torque wrenches don't work and won't go low enough, its rotational torque you measure. Have a look at my diff build here https://www.rodsnsods.co.uk/forum/gar...l-401249/page4 . this is an English diff but the principle is the same, only differs from a 9in in that it doesn't have the separate pinion support, but since you're not messing with any of that it's literally make a fixture to hold the yoke, gun the nut off, do the seal / crush sleeve, reinstall and tighten the pinion nut until the rotational torque is at the correct value. This value will change dependent on whether the shafts, brakes and seal are in versus it sat on the bench being rebuilt. I bought a torque dial gauge specifically to do this as all other methods without were not accurate enough. You're welcome to borrow it with a small deposit / postage covered.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WB54 View Post
    it's a doddle with the knowledge and correct torque gauge. Click type torque wrenches don't work and won't go low enough, its rotational torque you measure. Have a look at my diff build here https://www.rodsnsods.co.uk/forum/gar...l-401249/page4 . this is an English diff but the principle is the same, only differs from a 9in in that it doesn't have the separate pinion support, but since you're not messing with any of that it's literally make a fixture to hold the yoke, gun the nut off, do the seal / crush sleeve, reinstall and tighten the pinion nut until the rotational torque is at the correct value. This value will change dependent on whether the shafts, brakes and seal are in versus it sat on the bench being rebuilt. I bought a torque dial gauge specifically to do this as all other methods without were not accurate enough. You're welcome to borrow it with a small deposit / postage covered.
    Thanks, the diff is still in the car so I wanted to do it in-situ as I originally thought it would be a case of swap the seals & job done! I have calibrated digital torque wrenches at work so would be able to use these.

I'll have a better look at it later to see what's involved, I know a pro-shop will remove any doubt, but I could do without the expense and I'm struggling for time at the minute. However, I don;t want to do it myself & end up shopping for a new diff in a year or two!

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Having the correct tools is 90% of the battle, but ideally you would blue the gears afterwards to check for correct meshing. The pumpkin needs to come out to do this though. Cost me £40 to have mine set up a few years ago.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information