Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

Grinding / Cutting . . . .

Wear safety goggles guys, - idiots that don't end up posting threads like this . . . .

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Doh!
    need a job done on your project? i may be able to help.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've ended up in A&E once having a bit of metal from grinding dug out of my eye, hurt like a bugger waiting and then having it dug out was unpleasant, having to keep your eyes wide open looking forward seeing this thing coming towards and into your eye to dig out a bitof now rusty metal was not good.
    Once is enough to learn to never do anything without safety specs.

5. Likesstu460 liked this post
  6. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I read somewhere that by rights one should wear safety specs even using an electric drill. Not just eyes - I had a lucky escape from an angle grinder the other day where it ground the surface of my nail, through latex glove, but luckily didn't go all the way through. I'm using some of my daughter's nail varnish in groove, until it grows out.

Compulsive chicken choker English Impala's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Tight fitting goggles are best. I also had to have a piece drilled out of my eye after they couldn't pick it out. I have no idea if it WAS a drill but it sounded like one! I was wearing full goggles but a piece got in through the gap between the goggles & my cheek. Using a wire brush on a grinder and have it catch your jumper is equally hilarious. ....

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Would just like to add to this, regarding those naughty slit discs, yes fantastic but please don't hold your work while "just" cutting a bit off etc even if you think your in control and know what your doing, made this mistake last year, when disc grabbed and cut through my thumb/chicken leg. the only good news out of it was two weeks off work, thumb now fully mended.
    Any one had a cut injected and scrubbed clean ffs it f*cking hurt like f*ucking b*llocks. stay safe out there, dont be a Reg Prescott, anyone remember him?
    Last edited by rodster; 12-07-2019 at 17:16.
    If quitters never win, and winners never cheat, then who is the fool who said "Quit while you're ahead"

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yep I have had the eye needle thing (the eye doctor at Colchester hospital looks like Yoda out of Star Wars) I was wearing goggles at the time but when lying in your side under a car with a grinder goggles can get misaligned and still sparks and **** gets in your eyes...

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rodster View Post
    Any one had a cut injected and scrubbed clean ffs it f*cking hurt like f*ucking b*llocks. staff safe out there, dont be a Reg Prescott, anyone remember him?
    a few years ago i was grinding the scabby arches on a transit, normal grinding disc. now the grinder in question had a guard that wasn't fully tight so you could move it round to suit the angle you needed to work at. the problem was it would 'work' it's way round while grinding. i'd done it a thousand times so without turning it off i went to turn the guard but the wheel caught my latex glove and snatched my finger in. the wheel was new so the gap between it and the outside of the guard was about 1/4" and my fat fingers are definately not that small. once my finger was spat out the other side i thought 'bugger, that'll be weeks healing up'. so i pulled the glove off and there was a bit missing down to the bone, full thickness of the disc. off to the hospital and the doc' started carefully wiping it with a soft brush (like a soft toothbrush) and i said ''do you want me to do that?'' so i proceeded to scrub the grit and crap out quite vigourously at which i noticed him cringe. i said ''don't worry i cant feel it''. he reckoned the nerves were burnt/sealed. the gap left was enough to lay a pencil on the bone but the skin grew back which i was amazed at. i can't feel sharp stuff if it's stuck into the end of that finger now ( it didn't hurt when i cut the end off with a stanley knife earlier this year) but if i touch anything hot it feels like an electric shock so it's not wired up right anymore i guess.
    neil.
    need a job done on your project? i may be able to help.

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not the only one then - deffo going to be decent tight safety goggles from now on.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's a jungle out there! But hey, you can get caught out anywhere!

Years ago down the gym, I was benching 350 when I saw the tiniest flake of chrome fall from the bar.
    It drifted straight in to my eye. Did nowt, day after at college ten miles away it dug in and eyeball / lid made like a cheesegrater. Mate took me from college to hospital then home. What an almighty pain.

I lied about the 350, think i peaked at 220lbs. Happy daze.
    "I'm not going to take this defeatist attitude and listen to all this crap any more from all these people who have nothing except doomsday to predict."
    Carroll Shelby

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information