+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Imagine..

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

Imagine..

..finding this..

the rebuild : Smirnoff AA/FD

Some of you may of seen it elsewhere, but thought it was worth posting.

Dunno why, but the 60s slingshots have something special about them, it must of been pretty awesome to watch them at the time.
    I was reading something recently about one meeting where they had in excess of 90 cars trying to qualify for a 64 car field, all fuel cars! its almost unimaginable today.

A final pic of Don Prudhommes' '69 car, now at Don Garlits museum.

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Been there, bought way too many T-shirts. Any time I'm in Florida I have to go pay homage to the Granddaddy of Drag Racing, Mr Don Garlits. Been to that museum more times than i can remember. He's a lovelly guy to talk too and has got time for anyone especially when he hears the English accent. He thinks it's wild that some of us travel all that way to get our fix of hotrods and drag racing and to visit his humble museum. Top man. Roger.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Tell ya what mark, If ya wanna sample the atmosphere of these drag meets back then then you gotta get to one of the Hotrod Reunions mate. There's one in Cali but i personally think the best one is in Bowling Green, Ky. I know some or most will dissagree with me but for that old time atmosphere and surroundings I don't think you can beat Bowling Green. The California one is too OTT for my liking but horses for courses i guess. Bowling Green is a more low-brow affair but with some of the best known cars in their day from Top Fuelers all the way down to the Doorslammers, and your close enough to the racing to get a good ol' lungfull of nitro and you'll be in tears in no time...lol. Have a look on youtube, there's plenty of video footage from past events and even the one in 2008 when I went, not that you'lll see me of course...lol. Cheers, Roger.

5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    CHeers Rog,

I'd love to go to one of the re-unions, maybe one day!

I agree Garlits museum is awesome, my pics are from 2008 - Don Garlits Museum - a set on Flickr
    Didn't meet the man himself, but the place is stacked full of cars and other stuff. If you are even remotely interested you have to go, its only an hour from Orlando.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information