Likes Likes:  0
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    I'm a grown up member now ! witchywoo's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

Just wondering about my anglia...

Hi all,

I have just been wondering about a few things and I don't know if anyone can offer any advice.

I have a stock (apart from slight engine mods) Anglia.
    I never see many other stock Anglia's or Pop's, so its hard to draw comparisons.

The only issue I have with Henry is the wandering on straight fast roads. He isn't lowered (think he has the reverse leaf spring) and has original steel wheels and crossply tyres. Also has stock wings etc.

On a stock car, could I get slot mags on? What is the PCD?
    If I got radials, would it make much difference?

I'm pretty sure the handling is due to him having a high centre of gravity and skinny high tyres, but I don't want to lower him.

Maybe I will eventually get used to driving him on motorways but when I drove him to santa pod, i was so stressed, my back was killing me when I got there. It didn't help it was a really windy day.

So does anyone have any opinions on the above, and also, people with lowered pop's, rods etc, do you ever have similar experiences of wandering?

Its my first old car and my fella has a lowered beetle so its completely different.

Thanks for your help.
    Proud owner of Henry the 1949 Anglia.

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Official RnS Addict BaronVonVVankel's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    So youre wondering about your wandering henry?

I'll get my coat...

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BaronVonVVankel View Post
    So youre wondering about your wandering henry?

I'll get my coat...
    I dunno if I'm being slow due to the time or something but whoosh!

5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    The joys of a beam axle and steering box I'm afraid, it can be improved upon but will always be there. Because a Beetle is essentially an IFS with 2 less steering joints they don't suffer from it.

Side winds are always a problem even in a lowered rod due more to lighter weight in their case rather than high side profile like a Pop.

You need to ensure the steering box is as good as it can be and that all ball joints / bushes are replaced and kingpins in good condition as your starting point.

Crossplies will always follow ruts in the road that will contribute to the wandering.

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not sure but I don't think you'd find radials in the correct size anyway, or slot mags to suit that PCD, so I suspect you're pretty much stuck with the stock wheels and tyres. And Kapri is right, that sort of handling kind of goes with the territory. The Shedster is much lower and lighter, and runs more castor at the front end, but you still need your wits about you once you get up above 60mph, so there's little you can do to make a standard one any better. As has been said though, check everything to make sure there's no play anywhere (including rear spring shackles, if there's play there it will feel like the front is wandering, but it's actually the back end steering the car). Also when driving try not to over-correct, if you tense up and try and catch every little movement, it can make for a more fraught journey. And if all else fails, just don't go quite as fast.... Good luck!

I'm a grown up member now ! Violent Veg's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    In the olden days folks would fit VW wheels. I know some Pilot owners put taxi radials on their stock wheels but not only does it look wrong (too low), the steering becomes much heavier and it b*ggers up the bearings. Stick with it, you'll get used to it. It's called 'fun'..!

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the advice.

I think I will check my bits just to make sure that's all ok, and as my boyfriend says, "grow a pair of balls" and stop being a baby lol.

He has said all this to me but I just wanted to see what other people thought, and if anything was possible. Now I'll get I told you so from him.

I think I do over correct when the momentum starts, so I'll try to work on that.

I guess I did jump straight in going from a new beetle to a 60 year old car.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Over correction is usually the main issue like Odgie says , you have to 'go with it '. I did a full restoration / customising on a mates Consul Capri including a total front end rebuild. I drive it back from Wheelsday a few years back and scared myself for the first couple of miles. even though I KNEW that everything was post on. I hadn't driven a box steered car for a couple of years and it took me awhile to get back into it.

Hold the wheel loosely and let it do it's own thing ,just pulling it back in a tad when it wanders too far . On corners you set it up before you go in , slowly taking the slack out the system until it's all piled up against the box and then easing it out and onto the other side of the box for the other hand corner. Hard to describe to make sense but it's a sort of rhythmic thing once you get the hang of it.

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie dubmeister's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I do believe that standard pop pcd is 5 x 205 same as bugs,splittys and early bays so you could always have a game of wheel swapsie in vzi camping at the pod

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    i no someone who has a set of steels to fit stock pop axles about 6inches wide on the rear if you need more info ask

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information