Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  0
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

Modern petrol shelf life

How ling would you trust modern unleaded to last. Mine's been in the tank for six months now, smells and looks OK (I'm changing fuel lines) but concerned that a lot of water may have accrued/separated. Run it and see what happens or drain and replace...there's more than half a tank.
    And how the hell do you get rid of it anyway if you drain off?

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Compulsive chicken choker English Impala's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I last filled mine up a year ago, took it for a spin on Sunday & it was fine.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I start mine every ten days,up n down the road ,getting everything up to operating temp.....There's under a 1/4 of a tank at the mo,havn't bought any fuel this year as I have enough for a 20 mile run which I've done 3 times........no shows to go to!.

The fuel smells as it should and the car runs fine (350sbc) but., when not in full use I add a fresh gallon once a month,been doing this for years n never had a problem.....same with my now daily 4th Gen Camaro,was laid up for a year or two and runs perfect.

5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    if your car/truck stands a lot add some sta-bil additive. it stops it going stale and was originally for lawn mowers that sit all winter unused.
    neil.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/b/Fuel-Stabilizers/bn_7024934730
    need a job done on your project? i may be able to help.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    What makes fuel go "off" is the escape of the lighter more volatile hydrocarbons (aslo known as aromatics) the ones that burn more freely than the rest in the fuel and give the fuel it's characteristic smell, so if you have it in an airtight container it "should" be ok, especially if you can mix it up bit before hand. But adding a fresh slug of fuel always helps

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    if you drain it out put it in a can i wll take and test it on a run to scotland
    does that sound o.k

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PONCHO View Post
    How ling would you trust modern unleaded to last. Mine's been in the tank for six months now, smells and looks OK (I'm changing fuel lines) but concerned that a lot of water may have accrued/separated. Run it and see what happens or drain and replace...there's more than half a tank.
    And how the hell do you get rid of it anyway if you drain off?
    I'm sure your friendly local pyromaniac will be delighted to relieve you of a few gallons.

On that subject I have about 5 gallons of a 50/50% mix of Shell VPower petrol and VPower derv (left over from a 'filling error' on the Vette a few years ago) The respective fuels don't 'separate' and there's only so many bonfires I can start-up with it - any suggestions (no, I don't know any pyromaniacs! :****er
    Carburation suck'shttps://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/customavatars/avatar199184_4.gif

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by roscobb View Post
    I'm sure your friendly local pyromaniac will be delighted to relieve you of a few gallons.

On that subject I have about 5 gallons of a 50/50% mix of Shell VPower petrol and VPower derv (left over from a 'filling error' on the Vette a few years ago) The respective fuels don't 'separate' and there's only so many bonfires I can start-up with it - any suggestions (no, I don't know any pyromaniacs! :****er
    I have a similar mix but also with some dirty thinners in the soup as well, it makes a great parts cleaning fluid

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Find someone with a vintage car or army truck (like the Humber APC thingy) as they run abour 6:1 CR and run on virtually anything !!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by roscobb View Post

add a gallon to each tank full in your diesel daily.
    need a job done on your project? i may be able to help.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information