Have an account? Register

Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  0
+ Reply to Thread
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

MOT/historic vehicle public consultation by DfT

im surprised no one has mentioned this on here yet as its being spoken about in a few other places. There is a public consultation which has been opened up about expempting historic vehicles from going through an MOT. There are 4 options available, the options being - leave as is, exempt pre 1920, exempt pre 1946 or exempt pre 1960

below is a link to the consultation - its worth reading the supporting documentation along with the consultation as they detail how many cars in the UK, how many are pre 1920, '21-'45 and '46-'60 and post '60. They also detail how many have failed an MOT, speak about mileage etc. etc. etc. the consultation is open until January 2012.

Historic Vehicles MoT Exemption Review - Consultations - Department for Transport
    Last edited by 35kid; 05-11-2011 at 13:05.

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I.M.H.O leave as it is.

The powers that be never ever give anything for nothing. Look at the rolling tax exemption. Was active for 12 months or so and then stopped.

I can imagine the scenario. First the vehicles will be MoT free then it will be restricted stock vehicles only, limited usage. Not stock, "historic"? Then loose the plate. Then it will be "look at all the accidents caused by non-MoTed cars", followed by de-registration or something to that effect. I don't trust the c*nts who are our elected representatives to do anything for the greater good of man. They are all in it for theirselves.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    it aint broke so leave it alone best thing i reckon

5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    stu you obviously havent read the supporting documentation because it speaks about accidents from cars which would be exempt, it says pre 1960 vehicles (cars/motorbikes/buses/coaches/LGV/HGV) were only involved in 0.03% of accidents with 4 people being killed across the whole range of vehicles, 24 people seriously injured & 42 people slightly injured. Of the numbers from cars 1 was killed, 5 seriously injured and 20 slightly injured.

it would bring us into line with the rest of the EU as most countries dont have MOT tests for pre 1960 vehicles, It will also bring the age of vehicles requiring the statutory MoT test in line with The Goods Vehicles (Plating and Testing) Regulations 1988, which already exempts unladen pre-1960 manufactured Heavy Goods Vehicles from the roadworthiness test.

personally i dont know if its good or bad but i think the bad outweighs the good - its good in the sense you would save money etc. but its bad because there are lots of people out there who do dubious things to their cars (not only in the rodding/classic world) and these things are only ever checked out/picked up by someone who knows better when it goes through an MOT. unfortunately human nature makes people want to cut corners and do the least they need to do in order to make a car roadworthy. it also does seem a waste if you only do 500 miles a year but in some respect its good that these cars need MOTs because they may lack maintenence due to their low mileage with owners thinking it doesnt do many miles so it will be OK again for next year...
    Last edited by 35kid; 05-11-2011 at 16:36.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    35kid > I used accidents as an example, it could just as easily be visible emissions, dodgy looking bodywork, percentage of chrome plate, etc etc. I strongly believe the Government give with one hand and take much more back with the other. In Germany they have historic plates after which there are no tests so people seem to modify their vehicles with impunity. In this country I cant see it working quite as well. When you get caught by a traffic camera or police or DVLA roadside or whatever say good bye to your car. End of story.

I would rather pay to retain the "freedoms" I have rather than be given something "free" that will come back to bite me. After all an MoT is what, £50? It would end up costing a whole lot more than that in the long run.

Also you just know that when we align anything with the tosser dictators of the EU that we will end up holding the ****ty end of the stick. Its thanks to the tireless hard work of Kev, the ACE guys and others that we have any car related freedoms left and they are still being squeezed from Europe.

In a nutshell, no I don't think its a good idea and I won't be voting for it.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    The problem with most 'laws' that are indroduced by the EU is that the UK is one of the few that actually adopt and enforce said changes.
    Its been happening since the first Europe-wide type 'laws' were indroduced,ie in 1973(?) the helmet law came in, we HAD to wear helmets, whereas
    the Italians had to have a helmet while riding, the helmet law has never been changed in Italy as far as I know,because of the cost involved, now imagine that with
    fender laws etc...............keep it as it is, I say. Then get out of Europe.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    there was something some where about the eu laws and the non modification of what would be deemed as a classic car or then you would have to tax the car as it was 100% classic ie new lump etc

Images
    Post Thanks / Like

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information