Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  0
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: New MOT regs

Images
    Post Thanks / Like

New MOT regs

The open consultation to have our FINAL input into th new MOT is due online any second now .

This is the Directive as it stood in 2014 when DfT started to tailor it to the UK

Texts adopted - Tuesday, 11 March 2014 - Roadworthiness tests for motor vehicles and their trailers ***I - P7_TA-PROV(2014)0194

The most concerning part is acctual wording of unsafe modifiations "Unsafe modification means a modification that adversely affects the road safety of the vehicle or has a disproportionately adverse effect on the environment.

Other concerns Taken from my own notes at the time :- Other times MOT now required

4. Notwithstanding the date of a vehicle's last roadworthiness test, the Member State or competent authority concerned may require it to undergo a roadworthiness test ▌ before the dates referred to in paragraphs 1 and 2 in the following cases:
    – after an accident affecting the main safety-related components of the vehicle, such as wheels, suspension, deformation zones, airbag systems , steering or brakes;
    – when the safety and environmental systems and components of the vehicle have been altered or modified;
    – where the holder of the registration certificate of a vehicle has changed ;
    – when the vehicle has reached a mileage of 160 000 km;
    – in cases where road safety is seriously affected.

Thought out there is a strong and repeated reference to impact on the environment and unsafe modifications.

Unsafe modifications defined as “Unsafe modification means a modification that adversely affects the road safety of the vehicle or has a disproportionately adverse effect on the environment.”

Tinted windows fail

Lowering “
    c) Unsafe modification(3) .Stability impaired, functionality affected, insufficient clearance to other vehicle parts or to the ground.”

Tyres not meeting original spec (d) Wheel size, technical design, compatibility or type not in accordance with the requirements(1) and affecting road safety.

insufficient load capacity or speed category for actual use, tyre touches other fixed vehicle parts impairing safe driving.

Illegal engine mods again rears it head

(h) Illegal power-train modification. X

As does ECU mods
    6.1.9 Engine performance (X) (2) Visual inspection and/or using electronic interface (a) Control unit ▌ modified affecting safety and/or the environment. X
    (b) ▌Engine modification affecting safety and/or the environment.

Asked for but not mandatory identification checks.

Exhaust fumes entering cab ( up to know more c&u)
    (b) Fumes entering cab or passengers compartment.
    Danger to health of persons on board.

Missing mudguards “
    6.2.10. Mudguards (wings), spray suppression devices Visual inspection. (a) Missing, loose or badly corroded.Likely to cause injuries; likely to fall off. X X
    (b) Insufficient clearance to tyre/wheel (spray suppression) .Insufficient clearance to tyre/wheel (mudguards). X X
    (c) Not in accordance with the requirements(1). .Insufficient coverage of tread. X

Noise level tightening up. “
    8.1.1 Noise suppression system Subjective evaluation (unless the inspector considers that the noise level may be borderline, in which case a measurement of noise emitted by stationary vehicle using a sound level meter may be conducted) (a) Noise levels in excess of those permitted in the requirements(1). X
    (b) Any part of the noise suppression system loose, ▌ damaged, incorrectly fitted, missing or obviously modified in a way that would adversely affect the noise levels.Very serious risk of falling off.

DfT may well have changed some of theseb y now but only by checking the Consultation will we know if there is still something that needs fighting.

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Compulsive chicken choker English Impala's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Surely the DFT will only have changed things IF they have been pointed out by those with a vested interest in them? Unless of course the DFT is full of car enthusiasts, which I doubt!

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    The DfT published a consulation shortly after this Directive came to us asking for input into what Historic owners would like to happen as the Consultation also mooted MOT exempt status for ALL Historic ( defined as over 30 years old and STANDARD).

I believe that the Fedeeation have focused purely on Historics not having to pass fresh additions to their testing ( they never have before ???) . I doubt that anyone has paid any attention to the items I spotted . Time will tell.

5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    that sounds like how it has been in portugal for around 10 years now..

no window tints - Unsafe as you cant see the road
    no modifications whatsoever - their reasoning is no manufacturer has approved other components other than standard.

so basically in Portugal you cant change anything in a car.
    If that thing goes ahead that means the end of every modified car over here as even a race air filter can be seen as a modification that can harm the environment.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    And you all thought the EPA thing in the usa wouldnt happen here...

we need out of the eu now.its all their doing...****ers.

more small businesses going to the wall over this when passed...

The Oddlot Drag Racing Team...havin fun is usual
    57 bel air wagon
    540cui altered.
    your not drunk enough if you can lie on the floor without holding on..

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    this does n`t look good
    livin' on beer 'n' jaffa cakes -one box per pint

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by English Impala View Post
    Surely the DFT will only have changed things IF they have been pointed out by those with a vested interest in them? Unless of course the DFT is full of car enthusiasts, which I doubt!
    Vested interest = Manufacturers. They don't want US fiddling with THEIR cars - only THEY can fiddle with them at our expense.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    The following is how we may all get trapped.(except BIVA passed vehicles etc)

The new mot proposals seem to include modification .

But,ah,you might say ,"my modified car is pre 1960,so I don't need to go for mot"

But check your tax reminder,it may state " This vehicle needs an appropriate MOT certificate". And yes ,currently you can still tax it without an MOT.

But this may not be the case in future if the DVLA decide to just flick a switch to activate that,then you will need an MOT to tax it,possibly a new format MOT that includes a modification ruling ,then we are snookered.

Interestingly,I have asked a few people about their tax reminder letters and found the following.

On three pre 1960 cars that have had their engine details changed to a bigger engine
    The reminder states " This vehicle needs an appropriate MOT certificate"

On two completely standard pre 1960 cars ,the above statement does not appear.i.e. No MOT required.
    So there is a difference between the two.
    Obviously I do not have enough info there,but do you think that the DVLA already know which vehicles are modified ,and have tagged them ready using this method,or am I being paranoid

So,can anyone out there examine any tax reminders they have to see if there is any consistency ,or has this already been discussed and I missed it with me being out of touch for around a year.
    Sorry if it has guys.
    Last edited by Captain Scarlet; 22-03-2016 at 17:40.

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I taxed my pre 1960 modified cars last year online despite it saying mot required.

Pete

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Scarlet View Post
    .............Interestingly,I have asked a few people about their tax reminder letters and found the following.

On three pre 1960 cars that have had their engine details changed to a bigger engine
    The reminder states " This vehicle needs an appropriate MOT certificate"

On two completely standard pre 1960 cars ,the above statement does not appear.i.e. No MOT required.
    So there is a difference between the two.
    Obviously I do not have enough info there,but do you think that the DVLA already know which vehicles are modified ,and have tagged them ready using this method,or am I being paranoid ..............
    That's just an anomoly in the system Ian, I've had three tax reminders in the last two months all for MOT exempt cars with standard engines (or engines that have never been changed on the V5) and all stated that an MOT was required to tax but I still taxed them without one!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information