Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  0
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

One for Kapri (or ACE)

Saw this on another forum about new problems in France;

I have started the paperwork trail to register it in France, (Its got a normal uk V5 in my name) but I forsee problems getting french approval. I might be able to wing it, but it depends on how anal the tester wants to be. First prolem is the engine. I have a MG Metro engine for it. This is a bread n butter conversion in UK, but vans were never homologated for a 1275cc engine here, therefor the engine swap shouldnt pass inspection. Will some tester who checks Meganes all day be able to tell the difference between a 1275 and a 998cc A series engine? I'm hoping not. The MG metro engine number plate fell off when I cleaned the motor, so I will make a new plate with the engine number from the V5 on it. I'm 80% confident this will work. If not, I will need to swap in a 998 engine for the test.

Second problem is the wheels and tyres. Tyres are the new "big thing" for testers in France. Regulations have been amended to make it obligatory to keep the standard size tyres on a car, or an alternative size specified by the manufacturer for that specific model. I have 165/60/12`s, where the van should have 140r10`s. Again, this is a common swap in UK, but here its not. I'm hoping that the tester has no data for this model, so wont be able to say they are wrong. I'm kind of boned if he does pick it up though - I will have to buy a set of 10`s for my scabby 10" steels, but the 10`s wont fit over the disc brakes......dunno what to do there. Cross that bridge when I come to it, I suppose.

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    He'll struggle, the French always seem to find a way to block modified stuff , even when it's minor stuff that woudl be fine over here . I helped register a Consul Capri there about 2 years back and that was virtually stock and I had to provide all manner of tech support and production figures .

There is a law that allows a car registered in one EU state to be registered in another but across the Union they are tightening up on the criteria for registration in Historic class .

FIVA have a new definition of Historic and recognise Coeval modifications ( historically popular mods within 10 years of last build )as part of those rules. These are used as guidance for EU states but they don't HAVE to follow them.

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    All scary stuff - when you read through what's happening just a few miles across the water, it really brings home to you how necessary organisations like ACE are eh? Don't anyone think for a second it couldn't happen here, it's only all the hard work in the past that's allowed us the freedoms (if that's the right word....) we have in this country today....

5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

MHT
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    It may not have to be 'tested' to register it. It's all about getting a Certificate of Conformity. When I registered the Capri (thanks Kev) I contacted the FFVE (http://www.ffve.org/) who I convinced, after lots of history, form filling and pictures, that it was a standard car (it is standard). Then they issued a Certificate of Conformity. Once you have a CofC it is just a matter of going to the local Marie (Town Hall) fill in more forms hand over some money and a few weeks later you have your new registration. The car was never 'tested' apart from getting a Controle Technique (MOT). The CT does not look at modifications, just makes sure the car is safe.
    I have also registered a UK Citroen Xantia, CofC obtained from Citroen for about €100 and am in the process of helping a friend register a 1986 Kawasaki 1500. We are waiting for a CofC from Kawasaki, they wanted to know all the serial numbers on the headlights, tail lights, indicators, reflectors, serial numbers on the horn, exhaust system, mirrors even tyres. Luckily it is a 'stock' bike. We are still waiting for the CofC.
    The up side is that there is no MOT required for bikes (lasts for 2years for cars) and there is NO annual road tax for cars or bikes.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hiya Mike, good to see you here

Over at ACE we get involved in all manner of queries including questions about shipping modified cars abroad and also help requested re Brit modified cars shipped abroad that need help with registering. We already know of a lot of restrictions placed but they are getting tighter and tighter and most have restrictions on usage .

One of our concerns with Historic registered cars in this country is that they may become subject to the same sort of restrictions .Unfortunately the FHBVC have fought their entire arguement on the fact that Classic cars only do 1500 KM ( yes KM) per year and supplied vast amount of facts to back that up so if that figure is enforced we have no arguement left against it.

Likewise the FHVBC have 'cut loose' all those who do higher than that mileage saying they are unable to represent Classics which are used as dailies. This is also why BIVA is important to us so that , if needed ,cars can be put through the test to become taxable and give us a RIGHT to be out there.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Could I just say that in the current anti-car climate, I think it's really important that all 'car enthusiasts' stick together, whether they be in hot rods, classics, 4x4s, kit cars or even, dare I say it, max power type cars.....
    The Butty Run - Warwickshire breakfast meet, 1st Sunday of every month
    http://butty-run.com

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    Could I just say that in the current anti-car climate, I think it's really important that all 'car enthusiasts' stick together, whether they be in hot rods, classics, 4x4s, kit cars or even, dare I say it, max power type cars.....
    S'had my vote for a while that idea I'm hoping that's how ACE will evolve...

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    That is TOTALLY the premise behind ACE .Although most of the team are from a rodding background we also have expertise in other fields of car interests or can actually see the bigger picture .We are working for all car enthusiasts.

The problem is that rodders are more aware of the issues so we've struggled with other forums where it takes time to sit down and slowly discuss ( without arguing) the issues and how they relate to that specific genre of build.

However the information shown on the ACE website and the newsletters showing how it ties together seem to slowly be causing a shift in attitudes and some eye opening.

Everyone can help by simply spreading the word of the issues , ACE , and the links to FACTS it provides.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    The daft thing from the original poster that I quoted, is that its a bog standard mini van!
    The only mods are the bigger engine, fitting disc brakes (std ones) bigger (std) rims & tyres and thats it!
    He's just restored an old mini, not built a hot rod. Scary that they will fail a car cos it has 70 series tyres on it instead of the older style higher profile!!!

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Now you start to see how easy we have it here compared to the rest of Europe.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information