Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  1
+ Reply to Thread
    Official RnS Addict ChopperHarris's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

One relay for high and low beam.

Considering replacing my motorcycle headlight bulb with a 90/100w bulb (H4)
    Happy to fit two relays, one each for dip and main, but it occured to me that maybe one would work, as they are not on at the same time, unless you flash someone. So both high and low beam trigger wires go to the same terminal on relay.

Have I missed something, can this work?

As Ive typed this I think that actually the high beam warning light would come on with dip, so not such a good idea?

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    all the relay is is a high capacity switch, so it turns on whatever is connected to the higher amperage circuit. it can be switched from multiple sources but will still only turn on whatever's connected to that higher amperage circuit. so no it won't work. as you say 2 relays is no problem.
    if the relay was between the headlight and dip switches it would work but then full power/amps would go through the dip switch which would burn the contacts of the dip switch kinda defeating the object of the relay in the first place.
    neil.
    need a job done on your project? i may be able to help.

Official RnS Addict wakesupremo's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    If its a 5 pin relay then it'll work. N/c for dip and N/o for main. When headlights are switched on( no power to the relay) the relay is in normally closed so power the dip beam. The main beam switch energises the relay and switches across to the normally open and switches on main beam.
    If it's got tits or tyres, its gonna be trouble

5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks chaps. Looking deeper into it, ceramic high temperature plugs are necessary and also the case of the light is plastic. All starts to get a bit fussy. Started looking into performance bulbs (incandescent) for the time being, until quality LED becomes affordable

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wakesupremo View Post
    If its a 5 pin relay then it'll work. N/c for dip and N/o for main. When headlights are switched on( no power to the relay) the relay is in normally closed so power the dip beam. The main beam switch energises the relay and switches across to the normally open and switches on main beam.
    so how do you turn the dip beam off? i'm not big on different relay types. are both dip and main beam supplied power through the relay and the dip switch just works the relay so no load on the switch?
    i'm curious, neil.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    if you have a 5 pin relay, you'll still have to have a high current switch to turn on the 'headlight' as whole, but only need a low current switch to swap between dipped and main.....

if you've only got low current switches,then you can have a 4 pin relay to switch the headlight supply, and a 5 pin relay to toggle the main, dipped....

so you might as well have 2 4-pin relays and just switch the high and dipped beams independently
    Last edited by thisYup; 01-07-2020 at 19:31.

9. Likesmygasser liked this post
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by thisYup View Post
    if you have a 5 pin relay, you'll still have to have a high current switch to turn on the 'headlight' as whole, but only need a low current switch to swap between dipped and main.....

if you've only got low current switches,then you can have a 4 pin relay to switch the headlight supply, and a 5 pin relay to toggle the main, dipped....

so you might as well have 2 4-pin relays and just switch the high and dipped beams independently
    that's what i was thinking

Official RnS Addict wakesupremo's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    You are correct. You'll still need a relay from a low amp switch to power the second relay sorry. but if you use 2 4pin relays you'll end up being able to have both low and high on at the same time. If I could post pics I'd draw a simple cct diagram but I have no idea how to post them up.
    If it's got tits or tyres, its gonna be trouble

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    What is the light setup at the moment, does the main toggle with the dipped, or dipped on all the time??? some cars have both on at the same time..... Depends entirely on the vehicleand reflector arrangement... but it also depends what the switch used is and if it'll allow both to be on at the same time... Either way you are looking at 2 relays if you don't have a tough enough switch!!! But then again, you can get a better switch and have no need for any relays... i don't have relays in my hotrod as the switch is designed to run the headlights without any!
    Last edited by thisYup; 02-07-2020 at 12:32.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Its a standard BMW motorcycle switch. Theres a separate switch for off/park/headlight. The other switch toggle between low and high (not on at same time)
    I already have a Cibie spotlight that also comes on with highbeam via a relay so I could have piggy backed off that. However as I said in previous post Im not bothering anyway.
    While on the subject anybody got experience/preference for the higher performance but standard wattage 60/55 bulbs?

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information