Likes Likes:  0
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Official RnS Addict Neil Davies's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by English Impala View Post

A-frames

Using an A-frame to transport another vehicle seems ideal. These attach to the car being towed’s wishbones with tensioned chains, the steering is left unlocked, a light board fitted on the back & everything is cool. If ever there were a “grey area” with towing, this is it.

The law states that any vehicle on the highway must be taxed, MoT’d & insured, so towing a car on an A-frame should theoretically meet these requirements. The argument has been that a vehicle fitted with an A-frame & light board then becomes a “trailer” so is exempt from these. No test case has ever gone to court, so there is no legal precedent to use as an example.
    I've had a good trawl around, and read a lot of the links but I can't decide if what I want to do is legal!

I've got a B+E license, and a pre-1998 tow vehicle of a decent size. I want to tow a Beetle project using an A-frame (Beetle-specific A-frames clip onto the front axle beam rather than using chains). My old race car weighed less than 650kg ready to race, and this one has no engine so it'll be lighter still, and therefore doesn't need to be braked. All seems good so far!

Then I read the post about IVA requirements.
    As this is a project car, although it is still MOT'd, it's not insured or taxed, so logic says to treat it as trailer - it fits the requirements above.
    BUT, if I treat it as a trailer, then does it need to be IVA'd? Technically it has become a trailer only when the A-frame is bolted up! I can't claim that it's been a trailer since before the IVA introduction as it's still MOT'd! Am I reading too much into this? I need to tow it about 90 miles so I want to get it right!
    Help!
    2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. [email protected] on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
    2276cc, 48IDAs, race car. [email protected] on race fuel and slicks. April 2005!

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Compulsive chicken choker English Impala's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    No-one has ever been prosecuted in the UK for using an A-frame, so although technically they aren't legal, it really is a grey-area in the eyes of the law as there's never been a test-case. If you asked a dozen traffic cops you'd probably get a dozen different answers. If you got stopped and argued that it was a trailer and therefore exempt from tax, MoT and insurance, you'd possible be asked to PROVE that is was built prior to trailer IVA. I honestly think it would be too much trouble for a traffic cop to pursue regarding paperwork, but I don't think anyone can give you a definitive answer. I drive quite a few miles for work and still see cars being towed on an A-frame on the motorways.

The only 100% safe/legal route is to use a trailer.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by English Impala View Post

The only 100% safe/legal route is to use a trailer.
    That's pretty much what I thought, so we're borrowing a trailer!
    If the car was complete (or even looked complete!) then I'd be happy enough to A-frame it, but being a project car with panels missing it's so conspicuous and just asking for trouble!
    Thanks for the reply!
    2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. [email protected] on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
    2276cc, 48IDAs, race car. [email protected] on race fuel and slicks. April 2005!

5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm working out a practical example for towing.
    My Audi A6 has a kerb weight of 1510kg. My caravan is a little Lunar Clubman 390-2, with a mass in running order of 737kg, and a maximum allowable weight of 889kg.
    I've got a B+E licence but my wife has only got a B licence as she passed her test much later than me. Am I right in thinking that she can legally tow the caravan? If she can't, she's going to have to drive the race car to Shakey and I can't see her being too happy about that!

Info from here:
    Audi A6 Avant 2.5 TDI, 1995 C4 technical specifications 236852
    Caravan specifications Lunar Clubman 390 /2 1991 - Caravan talk

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    You're nearly there, nearly......

Your Audi has a kerbweight (1510kg) which is higher than the caravans MTPLM (889kg) and I'm guessing the towing weight of an A6 is at least "ample" (always worth checking though but I'd guess its at least 1600kgs).

All you need to know now is the Audi's maximum gross weight. In all probability its probably around 2100kgs (but please check). You need to add this figure to the caravans MTPLM (889kgs) and if its under 3500kgs (which it will be), she'll be fine.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Superb, thank you. I think I'll treat her to a weekend away in the caravan and get her to tow it home!
    Thanks again!
    Neil

I'm a grown up member now !
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here I go, throwing in another curveball......... what is the deal with a tow dolly?
    I have an American factory built heavy duty tow dolly, hydraulic braked, built 1991, and will happily tow loaded at 80-90mph. Safe as houses! But obviously, of the four wheels forming the trailer, only the front two are braked.The rear wheels of the vehicle in 'recovery' are still on the road, so can i legally only tow a vehicle that is taxed/insured and MOT'd.
    Only asking as I haven't seen anyone mention dollys above. Whatever the legality i'll continue using mine, as most coppers have the intelligence to turn a blind eye to eurocratic rules so long as the set-up is safe.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ford cx View Post
    Here I go, throwing in another curveball......... what is the deal with a tow dolly?
    I have an American factory built heavy duty tow dolly, hydraulic braked, built 1991, and will happily tow loaded at 80-90mph. Safe as houses! But obviously, of the four wheels forming the trailer, only the front two are braked.The rear wheels of the vehicle in 'recovery' are still on the road, so can i legally only tow a vehicle that is taxed/insured and MOT'd.
    Only asking as I haven't seen anyone mention dollys above. Whatever the legality i'll continue using mine, as most coppers have the intelligence to turn a blind eye to eurocratic rules so long as the set-up is safe.
    Following the "letter of the law" any untaxed, uninsured vehicle should have all four wheels clear of the road, but as you've said, I think most police officers would turn a blind eye if a braked dolly were being used, but you never know if you're going to come up against one that has had a crap day and is clued up on towing! I see lots of scrap buses being towed up the motorway on suspended tow and lots o transporters carrying insurance write-off cars, usually with one on tow behind on a spec-lift with a pair of wheels still on the road.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    The latest DFT leaflet on towing can be found here:

http://www.dft.gov.uk/dvla/forms/~/m...ts/ins57p.ashx

Who promised you tomorrow Gasolinescream's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here's another for you. Lets say we have the right license, right vehicle, etc, etc. Do you have to notify your insurance? Been having fun with classic car insurance and interested to know if there's anything stopping you from pulling a trailer camper etc. I see many classic cars pulling caravans, I've done it the past myself but just presumed it was okay.

Cheers Dan

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information