Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

painting 2k what mask

a2p3 abek1p3 abek2p3 ??

looks like air fed is out of the question for me , what does everyone else use

cant seem to find a definitive answer

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Welding Guru
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    I use ABEK2 P3 half mask with twin cartridges in my booth for 2K epoxy primers and other isocyanates. But only because i have full body covering and really good air change ventilation.
    I perform coatings inspection and submit regular urine tests and the only time i flagged up as exposed was following a few hours in my own booth and my coverall didnt have a hood. (it absorbs through the skin as well as inhalation).
    The key with half masks is they cant withstand saturation, therefore air change and dilution is key.

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Doing a whole car or just small areas? Gerson do a good mask for small areas and a A2P3 will be OK for base coat but not 2k clear. If you're doing a whole car in your garage without proper extraction.....air fed/tyvek suit and rubber gloves only. Problem with normal respirators is they clog quickly, ie about 5 minutes so you're for ever putting new filters in the respirator @£20 odd a throw, you can cover the filters with single layer kitchen paper and elastic bands but eventually the filters will need changing.
    2K isocyanate is evil stuff and the single pack not good for longevity. Other option is buy finishline/devilbiss air fed and new small cheap compressor (make sure air is clean going in) but eventually you will taste the damp rusty air through your air fed so now you need carbon filters and driers. I invested in the kit and did three full resprays ,inside and outside all in my garage with a large fan blowing onto a voile curtain as a filter, remember 2k sticks to everything.........your daily, next door car/caravan, windows, plants etc. Make sure floor is wet otherwise the paint will stick to the floor and your shoes, like walking on treacle.
    Last edited by 66elcamino; 21-06-2020 at 13:33.

5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Welding Guru
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Just got in my shop and type i use are from scott safety. Filters are cheap but the mask isnt. Its made of supersoft silicone so seals really well to all face shapes.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    3M 06941 disposable mask is good but you MUST have good extraction or paint outside with it.
    Proper extraction should exchange the entire volume of your garage in 60 seconds or less.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    ok , half mask ABEK2 P3 it is for the moment

got an air fed set up from a mate to try, he bought it years ago but never used it, also a small compressor, about 7cfm, it did seem to keep up with the air fed mask but the carbon filter in the regulator for the air was out of date in 2009 and cant see them anywhere on the net, only seen a pic in one place and they are out of stock, maybe just aswell at £50 each

seen a sata half mask air fed (£119) that i would have preferred to hook up to the regulator i have but would still need to find a carbon filter

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    £50 for a filter to save your lungs - I'd say pretty cheap.

Compulsive chicken choker English Impala's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Several years ago I had a US air fed mask called (I think) Hobby Air which was simply an air pump that you placed outside the workplace and it fed the (fairly simple) mask with air from outside. It packed up and I binned it, I bought it second hand from eBay and never seen another for sale but it was a good bit of kit.

11. Likesscottie liked this post
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpopracing View Post
    £50 for a filter to save your lungs - I'd say pretty cheap.
    only place i can see that sells it is out of stock

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by English Impala View Post
    Several years ago I had a US air fed mask called (I think) Hobby Air which was simply an air pump that you placed outside the workplace and it fed the (fairly simple) mask with air from outside. It packed up and I binned it, I bought it second hand from eBay and never seen another for sale but it was a good bit of kit.
    something like that sounds better than breathing in air from the compressor :-)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information