Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  1
+ Reply to Thread
    Official RnS Addict ChopperHarris's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

Painting/plating brackets?

Since Hammerite paint turned to pants years ago I have had trouble finding a decent paint for the small brackets we all make from time to time. More often than not for me they are for motorcycles. So generally exposed and I live right beside the sea.
    A mate gave me some 2pack stuff used on the ferry hes captain of, and that was superb but long gone. Also a pain to mix just for a small bracket. Using a variety of finishes from the hardware store here in the boondocks last about 6 months, primed or not.

Ive been looking at home plating which looks ok for nickel or zinc, but of course thats not very attractive for a headlamp bracket where I really want satin black.

Any recommendations please?
    Ta

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    You can buy bolt blacking kits ?

Welding Guru
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Paint life always depends on the prep. Are the brackets you make cleaned back to bright metal EVERYWHERE and all edges radiussed with a surface key like 120 grit?? It is very very important that carbon steel is coated within 4hrs of prep (Less if you are coastal) otherwise the corrosion cycle sets in on a atomic scale
    I am a coatings inspector for nuclear and all coastal coating failure starts with either physical damage or poor preparation.
    If the prep is an issue you can use one of rustoleums products, that have high levels of phosphoric acid and act as a converter/etch. We have had a lot of long term success with this.
    Alternatively, use POR 15 and decant a small amount and seal the lid as quick as possible, it tends to last a couple of years in the can if you do this as you limit the oxygen exposure reaction.
    If you want a coating to last, never use carbon steel material with mill scale left on it. Mill scale is oxygenated steel and in essence a perfect surface for rust to develop under a coating surface (it has higher nobility on the galvanic scale so reacts with the carbon steel it is stuck to and starts to laminate and lift the paint over time) like aluminium and carbon steel reacting and oxidizing on land rovers.
    I use colled rolled or bright steel where i can and blast everything with crushed glass or garnet before coating.
    Hope this helps.

5. Likeskapri liked this post
  6. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    As long as you find a good place to do it then powder coating is good. You need somewhere that primes it first and then uses two coats of powder though. Most places just stick one coat on which looks nice but is rubbish for outside use.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks so far.
    Yes its all ground back and radiused, I even slightly countersink any holes. Welds also ground back. Just before painting and then acetoned.
    I looked at eastwoods blackening kit but its too dull and you have to mix it all.
    No industry where I live and I dont have the quantity or turnaround time for powdercoating
    Thanks and sorry to sound negative to the replies but its hacking me off, particularly as I do some work for friends and tell them to expect to repaint within the year.

I guess plating then painting is a no no, by the time Ive keyed the plating i will go through it.................

Welding Guru
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    if the plating is zinc then you can use an etch (or Mordant / T wash) that gives a great key for any suitable overcoating with an etch primer or epoxy. alternatively you can use a "sweep" blast using crushed glass or garnet (this gives a key but doesn't remove the plating) and then overcoat with an etch primer or epoxy and compatible top coat (to provide UV protection to the epoxy)
    I use Upol etch primer and then upol raptor black as a top coat (just measure and mix little bits when needed) and that gives a great finish that is extremely hard wearing (I use it on engine bays a lot as its bash proof and fuel proof)

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, do you have a preffered supplier that posts?

Images
    Post Thanks / Like

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Raptors a bed liner? Suitable for visible brackets? Textured?

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for your time, appreciate you sharing knowledge...has the Corvair sold?

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information