Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  0
+ Reply to Thread
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

seal remover TH350

Hi

I have a TH350 in my drag car and its leaking from the shifter arm, access is OK not good, I cant get the seal out, I have removed the sump and according to the book I can remove the shifter rod only I cant, the seal face is only about 3 mm wide and is steel so trying to punch through it etc is difficult

In America you can buy a special tool for removing the seal from most parts places, in the UK however I cant find one, can I borrow one from someone, or has anyone got one they want to sell?
    Im based in Swindon but post should work as its only small

IT'S NOT GETTING WHAT YOU WANT...IT'S WANTING WHAT YOUVE GOT

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Welding Guru
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    You can use a peice of threaded pipe (taper thread) 1/4 or 3/8 bsp barrel nipple from memory.
    this can slide over the shaft and still fit inside the pressed steel section and destroys the seal when turned and pushed in. This can then be gripped with a set of grips or such and levered out.
    Even if its stuck and fails you sill end up with a steel tab you can grip with pliers or mole grips to pull the little bleeder out.
    Good luck .

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by weldtech View Post
    You can use a peice of threaded pipe (taper thread) 1/4 or 3/8 bsp barrel nipple from memory.
    this can slide over the shaft and still fit inside the pressed steel section and destroys the seal when turned and pushed in. This can then be gripped with a set of grips or such and levered out.
    Even if its stuck and fails you sill end up with a steel tab you can grip with pliers or mole grips to pull the little bleeder out.
    Good luck .
    Thanks a lot for that. Great bit of improvisation. Big help as I’ve also been looking for one of the seal tools.

5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

In the end after I tried getting a pick behind and different things to prize it out, but its really shallow and small, I drilled it with a 2.5mm drill and screwed a self tapper into it, that dead ended and threaded the seal down its thread and out
    IT'S NOT GETTING WHAT YOU WANT...IT'S WANTING WHAT YOUVE GOT

Welding Guru
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Brilliant, thats what this site is all about, a bit of ingenuity. How much was the single self tapper versus the fancy tool i wonder??.
    Drag it out any old way its scrap after all, its putting it back in nice and square that counts. Deep socket that is just the right size to get a decent contact on the outer portion of the pressed seal perhaps??

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information