Have an account? Register

Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  0
+ Reply to Thread
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

should i or shouldn't i??

This weekend has been great, meet some really cool new people who share the same love with rods as me and my dad. Everytime i go to a show and see some really nice 32's..etc.. i always think to myself is it worth me attempting to build one?? I was thinking of just collecting parts and going slow with it and putting a straight 6 in. Some most have some done a similar thing to what i want to do. Just some advice would be great for me to think about it and is it hard to do? Am not in any rush to get one finished but i think i could learn alot from doing this and hopefully make a nice rod.

Thanks matt.
    *ITS NOT FASHION,ITS A LIFESTYLE*

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by matt--8 View Post
    i always think to myself is it worth me attempting to build one??
    You need to define why you might want to build one before you can tell whether it's actually worth it or not. Yes, you'll learn a great deal, meet lots of interesting and (usually ) helpful people, and have the satisfaction of (hopefully) seeing it through to the end and driving around in it. But it's a serious undertaking, it will take years, and a bunch of money, and it's easy to lose heart (hence the masses of unfinished projects changing hands all over the place...). I'd been building bikes for 40 years before I attempted my first car from scratch, I made it harder for myself by making everything rather than buying bits in, but it was still a challenging project.

If you go on ther BritChopper hotrod forum and get in touch with Ant, he's only 17 and has lots of projects on the go. His work is incredible for someone so young, he may be able to offer advice from a smilar perspective. It will also depend on how much you can rely on your dad for the skills you may not have - welding, engine building, wiring, bodywork, interior trimming - or whether you're going to learn them or pay someone else to do them?

Without meaning to be too harsh, if you have to ask whether it's worth it or not, maybe you're not quite ready to commit to completing something so vast. That doesn't mean there's any harm in gathering parts as and when you come across them, and just playing about with them to see what comes together. Eventually one way or another either you will end up with a finished car - or an unfinished project you sell on. But you'll be a lot wiser, and at least you'll have answered your own question...

www.53catalina.co.uk 53catalina's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Hi Matt

As shedster said, you really need to form a plan and decide exactly what you are aiming to build before you start.

Personally, I prefer cars that are driving. you could buy a rod that is roadworthy but needs finishing. That way you get to enjoy the driving whilst still adding your own touches and making the car 'yours'.

Either way, good luck

Dan

5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    thanks guys, i understand every word u said shedster.

thanks matt.
    *ITS NOT FASHION,ITS A LIFESTYLE*

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm 40 something and I've never built a Rod.
    It's definitely worth it if you have the skills. I don't, so I'd buy something finished or close to it and change it to suit my own taste.

It's always a good idea to collect lots of stuff too. It always comes in handy later on.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    hi there i think its great for some one of your age to be contemplating building your first car, i think what shedster said is food for thought ? as someone suggested you could buy something finished or nearly finished unfortunatley there is some real dangerous stuff out there, it may look the nuts but you sometimes need to see the bigger picture, in your position you could do worse than 100e, moggy 1000 etc to get you started and some experience, before you go in a full blown project, why would you wont a stright six when you could get plenty out of a 4 pot ? remember your age,if you realy want 32,A,34 etc these can be built almost like a kit car(NO I DONT WANT A SLAGGING FOR THAT, YOU ALL NO WHAT I MEAN) im sure everybody on here would be more than willing to help with advise, take it from me, there is a wealth of knowledge on here,best of luck

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information