Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  0
+ Reply to Thread
    Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

Tell me about Chevy Straight 6's

I know next to nothing about them. So what are they like, what tuning parts are available, what to look for etc?

Cheers guys.

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile

They are simple, very easy to work on, the parts are cheap and easily available. Very reliable if maintained in decent condition and they seem to drive in a smooth relaxed style, the only drawback is that they were not designed for performance and little tuning gear exists...hence they are often replaced by v8s. There was one performance version the OHC pontiac sprint which was basiclly a chevy 6 with a better design pontiac head,4 barrel carb and belt driven ohc. The sprint was fairly quick but also thirsty and the sales were not great so it was dropped in the 60s, if you want speed a sbc is a much better bet but if economy matters then the chevy straight 6 is a good engine.

5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Don't know anything about 'em performance wise but my first 57 Chevy Cpe had a 235 six and powerglide combo , was a great engine . Very smooth , whisper quiet so that you couldn't tell if the car was running at idle - from inside or out . Would do an easy 28/30 mpg on a run and sit on the M/way at 80/90 mph all day long .
    Champagne for my real friends,Real pain for my sham friends

My Intro

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    The early (37-52) 216 and 235's were known as Babbit Pounders, as they were splash oiling ie: no oil pump. They are not the ones to tune and are weaker than the later ones. Having said that I have taken 10 years to trash mine, having thrashed it. As Stitch says they will travel at 80 all day long with great MPG, provided they are in a a sedan and not strangled by truck axle gearing. A 53-62 235 is the one to go for. Put a mild cam in or just put on an Offy inlet with twin carbs and Fenton headers with a twin system running Smithy's mufflers. This will sound beautiful and not use any more gas than a standard set up. All these parts are available, together with dress up chrome. All years are interchageable. The torque is incredible and performance surpisingly good. Try Patricks Antiques cars or Chev's of the 40's in the States.

Post 62 - I have no knowledge of the later sixes but I am sure someone does.....
    Attached Images

Rest in Peace
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Stitch View Post
    Don't know anything about 'em performance wise but my first 57 Chevy Cpe had a 235 six and powerglide combo , was a great engine . Very smooth , whisper quiet so that you couldn't tell if the car was running at idle - from inside or out . Would do an easy 28/30 mpg on a run and sit on the M/way at 80/90 mph all day long .

I like Ron had one in my first '57 but with standard shift, very smooth and quiet. Until a couple of ears ago I drove one everyday in a '56 Pick Up, I luv 'em.
    The tuning company " 6=8 " make headers, four barrell manifolds etc.
    If some's good, more's better and too much is just enough

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the replies guys. I've a '51 216 with the Babbit bearings...so you've confirmed what I thought - best to look out for a later 235 then?

I like the idea of keeping the car straight 6 rather than swapping to a V8, even if I change to a different straight 6 in my weird head that still seems more original?!

What about 'boxes? I've a 3 on the tree and heard a muncie 4 speed is a straight swap?

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    A muncie will bolt straight on to your bellhousing but you may have to change the propshaft yoke for one with the right spline and possibly have to shorten your propshaft also ..... clutch plate may need changing as some M21 and all M22's had a 26 spline input shaft .
    Champagne for my real friends,Real pain for my sham friends

My Intro

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chevy sixes can run hard.Clifford research offered all kinds of tune up stuff,and if you really wanted to make one run hard you had to have a Wayne head but they are scarce and expensive.

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    find a copy of "santucci's" book on chevy sixes,loads of info/history/tech etc. £12-15 on e-bay,handy for research/tech on my 250.straight 6;

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information