Have an account? Register

Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Likes Likes: †0
+ Reply to Thread
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

Welding mask recommendations

Finally, my old Clarke auto-dim welding mask has given after not being used for three months......another victim of Coronavirus!

Iíve left it out in the sun all week to try to get some charge into it but no luck so Iím in the market for a new auto-dim mask. What do you guys recommend bearing in mind that, like a lot of you, this is just a hobby so Iím not looking for an all singing all dancing air fed mask but I do want to keep my old eyes safe .

Your thoughts please

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    my last one came from lidle, wouldn't recommend for pro use but works great just a little more flimsy than my previous one. it works exactly as it should and was cheap.

Official RnS Addict wakesupremo's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have 5 different masks hanging over my welder. I really struggle to get the right amount of 'darkness' either too dark so I can't see or too bright. I have even bought one that has 2 different light scales that can adjust from 0 - 5 and 5 - 9. thats my favourite. its a Parweld that came with my tig welder. I think it was around £150.
    If it's got tits or tyres, its gonna be trouble

5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have a 3M Speedglass 100 I think, their basic model, and it has been great for a few years and was around a hundred quid on eBay (had to shop around a bit to get one in the UK as there were a few at the time from places like China which I assumed were knock-offs). We have a fancy £300+ one at work with side windows and other functions and frankly don't see it as any better.

I had a Lidl one which worked well but one freezing day in the garage the plastic loop over top snapped, presumably due to the cold, rendering it unusable. I also tried a £25 eBay one once but it would only fit a small pointy head so is hanging up for back up only.
    Screw EU

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've got one of these: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SWP-FIXED...UAAOxyItRTcnWn

Mine's actually an adjustable one, I got it off ebay a few years ago, can't remember how much I paid but I don't think it was much more than the one in the link. I did my Minor roof chop with it and a I've done a fair bit of patching on the Cortina and it's been fine.
    50 shades of grey primer....

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wakesupremo View Post
    I have 5 different masks hanging over my welder. I really struggle to get the right amount of 'darkness' either too dark so I can't see or too bright. I have even bought one that has 2 different light scales that can adjust from 0 - 5 and 5 - 9. thats my favourite. its a Parweld that came with my tig welder. I think it was around £150.
    I did wonder how useful the twin light scales would be as I have a similar problem with too light or too dark because the ambient light in my workshop can vary a lot.

My mask prior to the Clarke one was, as it turns out, a Chinese knock-off. The lens worked ok but I found after a while that I was getting a sun tan, there didn’t appear to be very much UV protection which I can only guess was down to the material it was manufactured with.

Narrowing it down, cheers guys!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information