Why don't we club together and bring a container back from the States?
Have an account? Register

Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  0
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

Why don't we club together and bring a container back from the States?

I’ve brought tons of stuff back from the states in suitcases (all under the personal import allowances of course), but some things are just too big or heavy to import that way (plus I don’t go often enough).

Individual shipping isn’t cheap either.

I guess there might be a load of us feeling the same way? So I was wondering about a container. What would be wrong with the principal of clubbing together to import a container’s worth of goodies from the US?

The costs could be divided proportionately between everyone based on weight or size maybe? (i.e. if you’re shipping an engine you pay more than someone shipping an MSD ignition). I’m guessing the import duty for a lot of things can be calculated on a per item basis?

Do the whole thing on a non-profit basis once a year?

Anyone tried this before? Am I missing something? There’d be a bit of organisation required, but wouldn’t it be worth it? I’d be willing to put time into it.

I suppose loading all the stuff on the US side might the sticking point?
    The Butty Run - Warwickshire breakfast meet, 1st Sunday of every month
    http://butty-run.com

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    nice idea but a nitemare to set up logistically. You would be better off approaching Summit or Jegs to collate X amount of British based orders for economic shipment rates with a nominated freight forwarder. Better still, get a list of people interested in reducing freight costs and approach somebody like Real Steel or LARacing to manage it for you. You'll be able to capitalise on their deeper discounts with suppliers, their experience in obtaining preferential exchange rates, their US freight forwarding contacts, customs clearance, onward UK delivery to your door and a UK based supplier accountable for all returns, warranty etc. Everyone will also be able to pay with credit cards in sterling and not mess about with money transfers etc

It would only work if those interested in buying can afford to order and wait for their parts till the containers are full and buy brand new parts. Would you wait 3 months for your parts because mine are dealyed ? Lots of potential problems but not impossible.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Why would someone like real steel help you with a container when they want you to buy of them, surely it would be bad for them

5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

SiB
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I know plenty of freight company's in the US and have looked at this, can be done cheapish, but ideally you need someone out there to load parts, store container while waiting for other parts etc etc

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Russ Pepper at R & R has containers leaving the East Coast regularly and will ship for you.

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Thanks Alan,
    Yes its exactly what we do my business partner in NJ collates all the parts at his Hot Rod shop, palletises them, takes them to the shippers, loads the container and hey presto.
    Been doing it for 6 years now, works well at a fair price, we are loading the next one in approx 1 months time and remember VAT goes up in the new year so get in quick.
    We take credit card/ debit card payments, an example a full Euro pallet cost £500 to ship, filled to the height of the container, shrunk wrapped and secure, plus the taxes this end.
    Also helps with Ebay purchases where the US seller will not ship out of the country, send it to Rich in New Jersey, we do the rest.
    Cheers
    Russ

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by stevie.t View Post
    Why would someone like real steel help you with a container when they want you to buy of them, surely it would be bad for them
    depends how commercially minded they are. A container load of kit shipping in 2-3 months time, payment up front banked earning interest, a small % profit for managing it, none of their own capital invested and supplying x amount of new customers who would have purchased direct from the states ?. Customers buy it for less due to cheaper shipping option, happy customer return for ad hoc requirments.

Personally I see an opportunity like this being preferable to their current business model. There is a cost to every business for holding stock, storage, insurance, cost of cash, banking etc. To earn a lesser % profit on the deal without the risk of stock becoming overpriced (if exchange rates recover), not having capital tied up in stock (better cashflow), definate sales and a new customers etc, actually sound quite plausible.

ClassicUSAutoparts redcrossdick's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi we offer this service for our customers and we bring in air freight weekly so get your stuff alot quicker containers also if your not in a rush

Welcome to Moving Parts
    Great Deals + FREE SHIPPING

I'm a grown up member now ! Sam496's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've tried to do this with people I know let alone strangers, they still seem to be happy to pay the premium..

Official RnS Addict Kustomkulture's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by randrhotrodimports View Post
    Thanks Alan,
    Yes its exactly what we do my business partner in NJ collates all the parts at his Hot Rod shop, palletises them, takes them to the shippers, loads the container and hey presto.
    Been doing it for 6 years now, works well at a fair price, we are loading the next one in approx 1 months time and remember VAT goes up in the new year so get in quick.
    We take credit card/ debit card payments, an example a full Euro pallet cost £500 to ship, filled to the height of the container, shrunk wrapped and secure, plus the taxes this end.
    Also helps with Ebay purchases where the US seller will not ship out of the country, send it to Rich in New Jersey, we do the rest.
    Cheers
    Russ
    Hey Russ, just wondered if your partner in the states ever came across or knows of any generation 1 or 2 Econolines or Dodge campers or vans, 60's to early 70's, any helpwould be much appreciated

cheers
    Rod

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information