Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

Anybody with a tri running low & big rims ?

3K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  LUCKY777 
#1 ·
Having a bloody nightmare trying to sort out the front suspension / wheels on my 57 due to some of the mods.
Anybody on here running a low (3.5" dropped) front with 17" wheels ect ?
Be gratefull for some info, as I'm at a :beuj: stage.

#6 ·
Not sure if this well help or not but I am running 15" rims with a 205 70 15 which is a pretty big tall tyre.

I have about 3 1/2" to the crossmember, maybe 3 3/4". Run 2" dropped spindles with QA1's. When I just had the Spindles and 1 coil lopped from the springs it was at the same ride height but constantly banged the sump (deep one hangs below the crossmember)

Now have no problems with grounding out at the front. do catch the exhaust box's over speed bumps.

Am going to take the front up to achieve 4" at the crossmember over the next week or so.

Rolled the lip on the front wing, still rubs on near full lock, still fairly easy to manoeuvre.

What is the problem you are facing? Interference or....

P.

#7 ·
The prob I have is, the 'kin big brakes on drop spindles have pushed out the track to a total 60.5", about 1" wider than stock.
I've also got 1.5" drop springs & tubular A arms ect.
Now its so low & wider, the 7 x 17's with 225/45 x 17 tyres are about 1/2" from the arch lip. Rolling the arches will help a bit.

If I change the wheels to 4.75 bs (currently 4") it might give me about 1" from the arch, but the wheels are about a 6 week order.
If I change to 1.5" narrowed A arms & keep my wheels, it will give me more clearance but the narrowed arms need coilovers ect.

Got any pics of your front set up Lucky777 ?
Whats a 'normal' tyre / arch gap on your cars ?
This is what I've got :sniff:

#8 ·
Sorry , I dont have any pics. The car is up on axle stands in a corner of the garage has been for months...

I will have a look at the tyre sizes tonight for you. I did spend lots of time experimenting with tyre sizes to get it looking right.

Can you use a lower profile tyre ?

I used the original arms and changed the spindles and springs , I might have problems myself yet , I dint know.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.