Likes Likes:  0
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Be-coooool

Images
    Post Thanks / Like

Be-coooool

Hi There

Took my car out for a long run today in the midday sun...It's first run since I had the front end alignment done so it was a different car to drive. All is great while I am on the move but I got stuck in traffic on the way to Stratford raceway and the car warmed up really quickly.

I need to sort something out and need some advice. There is no thermostat in so I think I need to improve the radiator. There is no fan shroud at the moment, would fitting one make a lot of difference? Should I re-core the rad I have (where is a good place to take it?) or should I get one of the aluminium radiators- what's a good make?

Any thoughts welcome

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

I'm a grown up member now ! nige57mad's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    First thoughts - you definitely need a thermostat - 160 degrees . A fan shroud makes a huge difference, I have one on my 4dr and I now never have any overheating problems. I have both of these items spare if you'd like to purchase them - PM me if you're interested. Alternatively you just go with an electric fan as I have on my Nomad - equally no overheating probs. We met at Shakey last year I believe. Great to see your car finished. Nige.

Official RnS Addict Steve 5-6-7's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yep , you need a thermostat .if that is an old rad get a new one or recore but those ally ones do look good
    My set up in my '62 is 180 thermostat , shroud , and electirc fan.
    Nostalgia.......it's the future

5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nige57mad View Post
    First thoughts - you definitely need a thermostat - 160 degrees . A fan shroud makes a huge difference, I have one on my 4dr and I now never have any overheating problems. I have both of these items spare if you'd like to purchase them - PM me if you're interested. Alternatively you just go with an electric fan as I have on my Nomad - equally no overheating probs. We met at Shakey last year I believe. Great to see your car finished. Nige.
    PM sent Nige

Not sure how old the rad is Steve, it came with the car. There is no obvious issues that I can see. I'll try a shroud along with a better fan and thermostat and see how things go. I think, in traffic, the fan is just stirring the air in the engine bay rather than pulling in fresh stuff.

Those ally rads do really look cool but I there are so many other things calling for my money at the moment- Load space stainless, slightly higher profile tyres, dropped spindles etc, etc......

Official RnS Addict Steve 5-6-7's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by series1 View Post
    PM sent Nige

Not sure how old the rad is Steve, it came with the car. There is no obvious issues that I can see. I'll try a shroud along with a better fan and thermostat and see how things go. I think, in traffic, the fan is just stirring the air in the engine bay rather than pulling in fresh stuff.

Those ally rads do really look cool but I there are so many other things calling for my money at the moment- Load space stainless, slightly higher profile tyres, dropped spindles etc, etc......
    My money is on the rad , if it's old I'd replace it issues will be inside the rad unseen . Good luck and let us know how you get on .
    Just remember a new rad is cheaper than a new motor !!!!!!!!
    Nostalgia.......it's the future

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like summers over so I might be alright for another year.......While I am fitting the shroud I will back flush the rad and see if any small rodents drop out.

I'm a newbie !
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    hi your rad is a new one .all my chevys got hot when stood in traffic .car looks good regards martin

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I had mine re-cored for £275 and fitted an electric fan and a new thermostat. All good, except when a wiring joint let go!
    If I wasn't meant to go that fast, the pedal would only go half way!

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you need an example of arguably the most difficult and worse case scenario of a car to keep cool - then take a modded 68-73 big block Vette as an example!
    Ally rads are more efficient than copper/brass - the rad needs to be 'sealed' in the front support so that ALL cooling air that comes through the front grille ONLY goes through the radiator. Then if utulising a mechanical fan use a shroud that leaves ALL the cooling surface free, and again seal it to radiator (I use Sikaflex too here) - mine now runs at 175/185 degrees max in heavy traffic.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Roscobbc View Post
    If you need an example of arguably the most difficult and worse case scenario of a car to keep cool - then take a modded 68-73 big block Vette as an example!
    Ally rads are more efficient than copper/brass - the rad needs to be 'sealed' in the front support so that ALL cooling air that comes through the front grille ONLY goes through the radiator. Then if utulising a mechanical fan use a shroud that leaves ALL the cooling surface free, and again seal it to radiator (I use Sikaflex too here) - mine now runs at 175/185 degrees max in heavy traffic.
    Thanks for the advice, that's a good idea- sealing the rad to the shroud etc...I'll do that

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information