Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

Be-coooool

2K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  series1 
#1 ·
Hi There

Took my car out for a long run today in the midday sun...It's first run since I had the front end alignment done so it was a different car to drive. All is great while I am on the move but I got stuck in traffic on the way to Stratford raceway and the car warmed up really quickly.

I need to sort something out and need some advice. There is no thermostat in so I think I need to improve the radiator. There is no fan shroud at the moment, would fitting one make a lot of difference? Should I re-core the rad I have (where is a good place to take it?) or should I get one of the aluminium radiators- what's a good make?

Any thoughts welcome

#2 ·
First thoughts - you definitely need a thermostat - 160 degrees . A fan shroud makes a huge difference, I have one on my 4dr and I now never have any overheating problems. I have both of these items spare if you'd like to purchase them - PM me if you're interested. Alternatively you just go with an electric fan as I have on my Nomad - equally no overheating probs. We met at Shakey last year I believe. Great to see your car finished. Nige.

#4 ·
PM sent Nige

Not sure how old the rad is Steve, it came with the car. There is no obvious issues that I can see. I'll try a shroud along with a better fan and thermostat and see how things go. I think, in traffic, the fan is just stirring the air in the engine bay rather than pulling in fresh stuff.

Those ally rads do really look cool but I there are so many other things calling for my money at the moment- Load space stainless, slightly higher profile tyres, dropped spindles etc, etc......

#9 ·
If you need an example of arguably the most difficult and worse case scenario of a car to keep cool - then take a modded 68-73 big block Vette as an example!
Ally rads are more efficient than copper/brass - the rad needs to be 'sealed' in the front support so that ALL cooling air that comes through the front grille ONLY goes through the radiator. Then if utulising a mechanical fan use a shroud that leaves ALL the cooling surface free, and again seal it to radiator (I use Sikaflex too here) - mine now runs at 175/185 degrees max in heavy traffic.

#12 ·
Thanks

That's a good price. I think I might have a different rad to the one the car should have.. I just bought the fan shroud and it doesn't fit. The brackets on the side are different so I need to work out how it should be...I think it might be a 6 Cyl position rad

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.