My 55 4 door recommissioning started today.
Have an account? Register

Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  0
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 38 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

My 55 4 door recommissioning started today.

Hi my 55 4 door arrived today after a long wait, I have been collecting parts for the last 3 months awaiting it's arrival. I am going to get it MOT'ed first then get it registered.

Then the fun begins, I had a bit of a look around it and it seems there is little rust in it mainly confined to both the rear doors at the bottom rear where there are a few bubbles of rust and the headlight brows where there is some filler repairs.

Front and rear wings have had their fair share of parking by ear and it has had a minor biff up the rear under the lights and not repaired very well so that all needs strightening and sorting so the lights fit perfectly again.

I ripped the rubber mats out of the inside and the boot removed the rear seat hoovered up the inevitable rat droppings and nest inside the rear seat, inspected the floor where there is just some flakey surface rust. In the boot under the mat no rust not even any surface up under the parcel shelf no rust. I have been looking at all the Chevy restorations everybody is doing so I have gained knowledge where they rust because of your builds, many thanks for that.

The o/s/r rear door lock doesn't work from outside, and the n/s/r door doesn't work at all so that needs looking at, it had aftermarket air-con fitted which I removed as it was a hideous add on even though it was standing for 10 years, when I disconnected it it was still pressurized with refrigerant the problem I have is I have ordered a Vintage Air air-con kit and you have to use the original heater levers and with the kit I removed it doesn't use the factory lever assembly, it's got a blanking plate with a heater switch in it's place.

If anyone has the original 55 heater dash controls and are selling them I would be very interested I don't need any cables etc as the Vintage Air kit has electric servo units that attach to them.

My plan after getting it legal is: -
    Remove chassis check over for straightness make a tube rear shock bar and make some mounts for the rear anti roll bar on the chassis as I don't like the ones that came with the kit, also make some brackets on the axle for the roll bar as I don't like the way they have a big U clamp holding it on, I'm just a bit fussy with that stuff. Make some mount for the front anti roll bar and weld them on and fabricate some lower wishbone roll bar brackets and weld them on as again I don't like the ones with the kit.

Sandblast the chassis then etch and paint as no money available for powder coating rebuild the chassis with all new urethane bushes fit dropped spindles and 1" lowered springs, all new ball joints and steering bushes and rod ends, disc brakes, renew every part of the rear brakes apart from back plates, make new brake pipes, route new piping for dual circuit brakes, servo, make and reroute fuel pipe outside chassis rails away from the dual exhausts fit new hoses, fit new rear leaf springs standard height, get some new adjustable Pro-Tech shocks made to correct length bump and rebound, and finally a CPP power steering box and make a new steering column shorter than the standard one as it comes too far back in the car for me.

Wheels are going to be Cragar 8 x 17 for the rear and 7 x 17 for the front with a slight rubber and suspension rake, also It will give me 5deg caster as it appears that they don't have any, and with a rake on the car it will go negative caster which will be awful to drive at speed. I don't want to go tubular top wishbones as I can't justify the price especially with the front suspension geometry on the front of the Tri Chevy's being wrong due to the placement of the top wishbone inner pivot being several inches to high for correct geometry, if it addressed that problem then I would probably go for it.

Modify the bench seat to go back further as fully back it's not far enough back for my liking and get a smaller steering wheel. I have also got a Ciadella full interior kit with custom door panels in materials and colour of my choice on it's way to me right now, I ordered this from them after recommendations from your good selves on here and the FB Chevy page thanks to Alan for his time and info.

I am making a rotisserie with dimensions that Peppershaker gave to me thanks mate so I can sand blast the underneath off, once the chassis is done then it will get the treatment etch primer stonechip and full spray job underside and bulkhead prepared and painted, then fitted back to the completed chassis and aligned for the body repairs and panel bashing to go ahead, still it must be getting boring if anyone is still reading this so I will stick some pictures on from today's delivery if anyone is interested.

Rgds John
    Last edited by 20vT_pop; 22-09-2017 at 20:03.
    My Pop Build thread https://www.rodsnsods.co.uk/forum/gar...op-build-32191
    My 55 Chevy Resto https://www.rodsnsods.co.uk/forum/tri...ed-today-67186
    Anyone can drive a fast car, not everyone can drive a car fast!!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Exceeded sell by date Plumpcars's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm interested but you know that anyway! Glad it's working out for you John.

Official RnS Addict Dr.Feelgood's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    good luck with it, John

Bob will be pleased to see another 55

http://imagehosting.rodsnsods.co.uk/...870793d39e.jpg
    ENJOY YOURSELF - IT'S LATER THAN YOU THINK !

5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Looks real nice John...bet your well pleased it's home now...this is where all the fun starts

You will love working on Tri 5's there's so many nuts & bolts it's almost unreal
    The car is open, the keys are under the dog !

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looks hell of a lot better than what I started with John !

Looks good & we are all very interested. Congrats on getting it home.
    The doors open, but the ride it aint free.

"fuck, thats orange" ! - kc55
    https://www.rodsnsods.co.uk/forum/gar...-57-chevy-1277

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cheers Chaps was a good day yesterday, just getting it MOTable as I have booked it for 08:00 Tuesday morning

John

Compulsive chicken choker English Impala's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Its tight down the side of the house! I've gone a very similar route with my 57 Ford, theres nothing wrong with not powder coating the chassis, paint is easier to touch up and flexes with the chassis.

woz
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Your a great car builder john so i am looking forward to this to see what you are going to do, good luck
    I'd luv you if you were the colour of a baboons arse....................

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bob will be pleased to see another 55 plus what a cool motor next to it.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cheers Ken, I have 3 projects now so it's going to be Chevy, then my Pop, then mid 70's style cal look beetle............

John

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 38 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information