Have an account? Register

Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  0
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Erm . . er . . . oh bugger ! Glad I could be of help & you like what I did to mine

Hey, congrats on buying the 55 John.

Now, a few very similar things here. I bought mine while off work with a broken elbow, I also had large rose tinted glasses & also thought a 6 month makover would do it. Took 6 years ! (dont mention bank balance !)

Like Nige said, dont take it all to bits at once, do it over time & enjoy driving it about while doing it. Get it on the road & get to as many Tri things as you can. You will have some great laughs, with a great group of people.

Keep us up to date when it lands John, be great to see your progress etc.

Steve
    The doors open, but the ride it aint free.

"fuck, thats orange" ! - kc55
    https://www.rodsnsods.co.uk/forum/gar...-57-chevy-1277

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Unfortunatley mine will never be as nice as this one.....

Cheers for all the replies chaps much appreciated, I hadn't looked on here for a few days as I have been trawling the net for Tri 5 bits "bugger" you can get zillions of bits for these, the must have list, is kin huge now :****er: shouldn't have been looking so hard.

First I am going to MOT and register it, nip about in it to get a feel for it for a few miles, then I am to keep it as complete as I can not strip the whole thing down as that tends to get long and drawn out as some of you have said on here, but if not too rusty then most of it will be spanner work so I need to get a big pile of bits in place for when I start so I can thrash on it to make it a good driver and hopefully nice and reliable, won't be pretty on the outside but will give me plenty to smile about. I already have one major project with the Pop so I have to be careful and not get carried away with doin all the mods I like looking at on the stunning cars that people have built here. Mine will never be a show car but I want it to end up being nice and tidy looking and to be able to use it properly.

I have decided the first bit of budget should go on the chassis, suspension, brakes and engine. I intend to take the body off complete less the front sheet metal, jack the body up from the body mounts and roll the chassis out. Whip the engine and trans out and sandblast the chassis, while the chassis is away check out the floor and body mounts, from the pic's it looks fairly sound................. repair any rust areas and etch prime then seal and paint probably a neutral colour.

Then with the chassis, etch and paint the chassis in colour of choice, lowered rear springs, shocks panhard rod and top rear shock tube mount. Front suspension rebush all wishbone bushes with HD versions, new ball joints, lowered front springs and dropped spindles with a disc conversion, new adjustable shocks all round, instal front and rear sway bars.

Hopefully stick a crate 350 in it, with new carb, inlet, hei dist etc if I can get a deal on that lot, keep the 3 on a tree as it reminds me of my old MK1 Consuls I had years ago "in me yoof" when what I really wanted was a Tri Chevy.

Check steering box (manual version) for wear and free play/backlash, new master cylinder with servo unit and all new brake hoses and dual circuit system fitted with new rear cyls and shoes.

Put the body back on sort out any wiring problems re-upholster the seat and baring any hideous unforseen rustage to the main shell ready for some use, the next stage would be to sort the interior whilst I am driving and enjoying it, then gradual preparation for paint and then sticking it in colour.

Sort out the wheel and tyre combination for the right look, I was thinking about the Ansen slot mags? what do you think??? or would that not look right??? opinions greatly appreciated.

I have a goal in mind for getting it usable as I really would like to get it to Wheels Day next year............. ooops I've done it now. Sorry about the length of this post but thats about it.

Cheers John
    Last edited by 20vT_pop; 19-08-2012 at 14:17.
    My Pop Build thread https://www.rodsnsods.co.uk/forum/gar...op-build-32191
    My 55 Chevy Resto https://www.rodsnsods.co.uk/forum/tri...ed-today-67186
    Anyone can drive a fast car, not everyone can drive a car fast!!!!

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Fcuk me John
    That lot would take me 20 years if ever

Light travels faster than sound, This is why some people appear bright until they speak
    Check your fan blades!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information