Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

Road tax letter

1K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  shoebox 
#1 ·
Hi All

I have had to pay for the road tax on my 57 'cos it's listed as a 1980 car. Does anyone know who could write me a club letter to get it correctly listed?

Thanks

#3 ·
As long as you keep the reciept for the tax and send it in your letter for changing the tax class to historic you will get it back. As for the wrong year....its clearly a 57 and so proving it is no prob what so ever. It also has a chassis number or vin plate which would relate to a 57 too so I cant see there being any problem.

#4 ·
Sounds like it isn't an issue here, but what if the car in question was a full tube framed pro-street styled car that wouldn't qualify under the 8-points rule? Getting written confirmation of the year from a DVLA-recognised club may not be possible, and it could open up a can of worms for the wrong person.

#6 ·
The reason he'll be paying road tax is that 1980 will be the date it was first registered here, no doubt still with a w or X reg on it. This would have been before the days of Historic exemption so declared date of manufacture wouldn't have been entered on the 3rd page of teh V5C , on the slip that you tear off and give to the new owner. I presume it says PLG under tax class and has been off the road for awhile ?

#8 ·
Mine was the same not taxed for years
I filled out the right form and took it to the Maidstone DVLA office,
Five mins later I had my historic free tax disc

#9 ·
Thanks for the advice, I have called and emailed the DVLA and got conflicting instructions......The first pedant said that I have to have a letter from the manufacturer stating that the car was made in '57. I asked this guy if I could give a letter from a club and computer said no! So I emailed them and got a not back saying that a club could do it. I have phoned the classic Chevy club listed on their list and left a message.

I will give them a couple of days to respond then chase them up

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.