where did this '55 go?? - Page 2
Have an account? Register

Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

 
Likes Likes:  1
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 29
  1. #11
    sjb
    Nostalgia freak sjb's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    essex uk
    Posts
    4,991
    Images
    1862
    Post Thanks / Like
    sjb is offline
    Quote Originally Posted by ColinHD View Post
    his brother Chris (passenger in the last pic) was the owner of the super cool 1965 Ford Galaxy, red with a 429.
    Yep,one very cool street racer...


  2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements
     

  3. #12
    See, I told you I was sic ColinHD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Back in the UK Weston-Super-Mud
    Posts
    600
    Images
    355
    Post Thanks / Like
    ColinHD is offline
    That's the one!
    Brings back memories, damn we had some fun back then.

  4. #13
    I'm a grown up member now !
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    blackwood
    Posts
    48
    Images
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    tyreman1 is offline
    I'm sure I've got a few old photos of it when Paul Kempton owned it,I think it had some sort of six pack carb set up on it when he had it first and the bugger was always leaking fuel and caught fire once.......fond memories of this car when Nige owned it on a Sunday night car club meeting and a bloke coming up and asking if anyone owned the ' Humber hawk ' outside as it was blocking him in.

  5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements
     

  6. #14
    Rods 'n' Sods Junkie joncaddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    dartford
    Posts
    172
    Images
    6
    Post Thanks / Like
    joncaddy is offline
    Could this be the same car I went to look at for sale in about 1998/9( may have been later,) in Bexleyheath Kent. Following an intro from the late Roy Smith. The guy selling its name was Terry. It had a 327 with dual quads and a four speed and reverse chrome wheels. if my memory serves. Terry took us for a blast around the back streets of Bexleyheath. The other thing I remember, he also had a 57 Chevy convertible that was stripped down and Terry was trying to get it back together intime to use for his daughters wedding.
    Last edited by joncaddy; 11-02-2017 at 21:22.

  7. #15
    Official RnS Addict Keith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    554
    Images
    157
    Post Thanks / Like
    Keith is offline
    Quote Originally Posted by joncaddy View Post
    Could this be the same car I went to look at for sale in about 1998/9( may have been later,) in Bexleyheath Kent. Following an intro from the late Roy Smith. The guy selling its name was Terry. It had a 327 with dual quads and a four speed and reverse chrome wheels. if my memory serves. Terry took us for a blast around the back streets of Bexleyheath. The other thing I remember, he also had was a 57 Chevy convertible that was stripped down and Terry was trying to get it back together intime to use for his daughters wedding.
    Yes it is

  8. #16
    ready salted evilzee28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    spooks central
    Posts
    1,803
    Images
    60
    Post Thanks / Like
    evilzee28 is offline
    This is a picture of the car the day it arrived at my workshops. I imported it through a company called "Transcontinental" who were importing a lot of cars from the US in the early '80's.




    When it got to the port in this country, it seems that someone had tried to steal the carb from it in transit and it caught fire on the dockside, luckily it didn't cause too much damage. The car was imported from Jersey and had spent quite a large part of its life racing there. It had a cage and no interior, other than a pair of 2nd gen front seats. The American purchase report said "boy can this car run!!" It had a hot 327, 750 dbl pumper, camel hump fuelie heads, big cam and roller rockers. It also had a scattershield and 4 speed Muncie with a Hurst Shifter. Sun gauges were fitted to the steering column.

    The car broke down on it's way to me, with the driver from Transcontinental saying it was a nightmare journey driving it. However, the car was nothing like it had been described, so I sent the guy back to London with the car as I wasn't going to pay for it. After numerous phone calls, I discovered that Transcontinental were closing down, so I sent a friend of mine ( Charlie) to London to pick it up and to pay the balance owing. The car had been dumped in a one way system by the Imperial war museum. When my mate got back with the car, his first words were, "this car is ****in jinxed, sell it quick" !! He said that he'd never had so much trouble collecting a car before, to the point where even his brand new Range Rover broke down three times with the car on his trailer. Then to add insult to injuries, the trailer had a puncture. Needless to say I didn't listen to him and kept it. The first trip out, it sheared all of the wheel nuts off one of the rear wheels. Second time out, it broke the rear UJ and the prop flailed around underneath the car taking out the park brake cables and an exhaust. Third time out the throttle jammed open, and I nearly stuffed it into a hedge. The fourth time out, it broke down on my way to work. From that point on it just seeemd to have a propensity for eating itself and any other parts, but as the engineer said, "boy did it run".

    The car also came with a spare hood with a huge snorkel scoop on it. The bonnet didn't have hinges so it had to be lifted off. I put it on the ground by the back wheels, only for the car to roll forward down the slope from my workshop and roll over the bonnet with the rear wheels crushing it!!. and yes, the park brake was on

    I couldn't stand the pink 'flake so I just masked it up and gave it a coat of satin black, this was about '82 before satin black was in fashion




    I'd not long finished building the black Pop Coupe for Paul Kempton and he made me an offer for it that I couldn't really refuse. I sold the car to him, but swapped out the hot 327 for a warmed over 283 that was in my '69 Firebird. I started to strip the paint off it and then lost the workshop due to my landlords change of plans for the estate. yep, I blamed the car for that too. Just as my mate Charlie had said, the car was jinxed. Paul fitted a tripower carb set up to the car and took it to Steve Temples garage in Weston Super Mare for the paintwork. Yes, once again the car caught fire with the tripower on it.

    Paul spent an absolute fortune on having everything rechromed, including the window garnishes. The interior was fully trimmed in tuck and roll as was a Jensen Interceptor rear seat that was fitted to it. This really was a no expense spared rebuild. He didn't own it very long and sold it on, but I lost track of it from that point, hence me starting this thread to see where it went. Was the car jinxed, well, I sincerely think so and judging by what's happened to it since, it seems to have continued its habit of trying to kill itself.




    Nige
    Last edited by evilzee28; 06-04-2017 at 06:27.

  9. #17
    Exceeded sell by date Plumpcars's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    London Heathrowish!
    Posts
    7,721
    Images
    46
    Post Thanks / Like
    Plumpcars is offline
    Transcontinental. Boy did they have a reputation...

  10. #18
    Official RnS Addict Kustomkulture's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Sunny Bristol
    Posts
    2,522
    Images
    4
    Post Thanks / Like
    Kustomkulture is offline
    Quote Originally Posted by evilzee28 View Post
    This is a picture of the car the day it arrived at my workshops. I imported it through a company called "Transcontinental" who were importing a lot of cars from the US in the early '80's.




    When it got to the port in this country, it seems that someone had tried to steal the carb from it in transit and it caught fire on the dockside, luckily it didn't cause too much damage. The car was imported from Jersey and had spent quite a large part of its life racing there. It had a cage and no interior, other than a pair of 2nd gen front seats. The American purchase report said "boy can this car run!!" It had a hot 327, 750 dbl pumper, camel hump fuelie heads, big cam and roller rockers. It also had a scattershield and 4 speed Muncie with a Hurst Shifter. Sun gauges were fitted to the steering column.

    The car broke down on it's way to me, with the driver from Transcontinental saying it was a nightmare journey driving it. However, the car was nothing like it had been described, so I sent the guy back to London with the car as I wasn't going to pay for it. After numerous phone calls, I discovered that Transcontinental were closing down, so I sent a friend of mine ( Charlie) to London to pick it up and to pay the balance owing. The car had been dumped in a one way system by the Imperial war museum. When my mate got back with the car, his first words were, "this car is ****in jinxed, sell it quick" !! He said that he'd never had so much trouble collecting a car before, to the point where even his brand new Range Rover broke down three times with the car on his trailer. Then to add insult to injuries, the trailer had a puncture. Needless to say I didn't listen to him and kept it. The first trip out, it sheared all of the wheel nuts off one of the rear wheels. Second time out, it broke the rear UJ and the prop flailed around underneath the car taking out the park brake cables and an exhaust. Third time out the throttle jammed open, and I nearly stuffed it into a hedge. The fourth time out, it broke down on my way to work. From that point on it just seeemd to have a propensity for eating itself and any other parts, but as the engineer said, "boy did it run".

    The car also came with a spare hood with a huge snorkel scoop on it. The bonnet didn't have hinges so it had to be lifted off. I put it on the ground by the back wheels, only for the car to roll forward down the slope from my workshop and roll over the bonnet with the rear wheels crushing it!!. and yes, the park brake was on

    I couldn't stand the pink 'flake so I just masked it up and gave it a coat of satin black, this was about '82 before satin black was in fashion




    I'd not long finished building the black Pop Coupe for Paul Kempton and he made me an offer for it that I couldn't really refuse. I sold the car to him, but swapped out the hot 327 for a warmed over 283 that was in my '69 Firebird. I started to strip the paint off it and then lost the workshop due to my landlords change of plans for the estate. yep, I blamed the car for that too. Just as my mate Charlie had said, the car was jinxed. Paul fitted a tripower carb set up to the car and took it to Steve Temples garage in Weston Super Mare for the paintwork. Yes, once again the car caught fire with the tripower on it.

    Paul spent an absolute fortune on having everything rechromed, including the window garnishes. The interior was fully trimmed in tuck and roll as was a Jensen Interceptor rear seat that was fitted to it. This really was a no expense spared rebuild. He didn't own it very long and sold it on, but I lost track of it from that point, hence me starting this thread to see where it went. Was the car jinxed, well, I sincerely think so and judging by what's happened to it since, it seems to have continued its habit of trying to kill itself.




    Nige
    where is Paul these days....been a long long while!!!!

  11. #19
    ready salted evilzee28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    spooks central
    Posts
    1,803
    Images
    60
    Post Thanks / Like
    evilzee28 is offline
    Quote Originally Posted by Kustomkulture View Post
    where is Paul these days....been a long long while!!!!
    He was living in Cyprus the last I heard
    Nige

  12. #20
    ready salted evilzee28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    spooks central
    Posts
    1,803
    Images
    60
    Post Thanks / Like
    evilzee28 is offline
    Quote Originally Posted by Plumpcars View Post
    Transcontinental. Boy did they have a reputation...
    Thats a bit of an understatement I think Steve Was it you that also had trouble importing a car with them, model A perhaps??

    Nige

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Bookmarks

    Posting Permissions

    • You may post new threads
    • You may post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •