1960 Chevy Impala - Page 3
Have an account? Register

Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    We don't even know what work the new owner has done to it in the last few weeks as well?

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mrquickwhip View Post
    sorry ratty the way im readin this post it looks like it was dubstuff who brought up the new selling price.......therestorer1967 seems to be crediting gary for all the work done. by the way im up in glasgow and dont know any of the parties involved so im not taking sides.
    Not disagreeing with you there chap don't see why dubstuff felt the need to bring it up in the first place either . Neither am I saying that Cornishtiger hasn't done the finishing off on the car . Just that it seems pretty thoughtless to be putting all this up on Gary's for sale thread .
    I joined a nudest colony the other week . The first few days were the hardest ...

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    'Ang on; I haven't seen it said anywhere on this thread that anyones actually paid ten grand for it.
    Asking and getting are 2 very different things as we all know.
    He might be still asking 10K well after the cows have come home! Not to say it aint worth it, but I'd expect to get a 2-door coupe for that amount.

5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

I'm a newbie !
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hope i can sort this out once and for all!!!!!!!!! I would never discuss what a car was bought or sold for i was only offering a reply to a rather disrespectful dubstuff. I have always credited gary with the fantastic work he did to "HIS" car. I am a lover of classics but do buy and sell them as i havent got enough cash to keep them, so i figure it's better to love and lose than never love at all. In the breif ownership i have: 1 got the car running properly (fuel pressure, hei dizzy fault and a jacking lifter), 2 sorted out a cooling issue, 3 resprayed the rear deck of the car, 4 reupolsterd the interior , 5 remade the exhaust that was damaged, 6 undersealed the underbody, 7 detailed the whole car after it's sat a little while, 8 refreshed the brakes as again theyve sat a while. Thank you to all who posted positive replys on the matter, sorry for any hurt to anyone but i state again ....£10k was only a number... it was only a starting point if anyone was interested. I only intended to picture the trophy and how the car looks now as a thoughtfull gesture.. not to take the **** hope this helps a few out there who misunderstood any intention. Once again to Gary thanks for the car im trying my best to finish it to the high standard that you layed down and then hope to find a permanent owner (with more disposable income than i have) to cherish her, many thanks Andy THE RESTORER

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    jueeezus its simple if you dont like the price haggle...if haggling dont work walk away give the guy a friggin break

Compulsive chicken choker English Impala's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Okay, time to put this one to bed then I'll ask Si to lock it. Long post coming up, so make yourselves comfortable:

I bought this car in 2001 for a bargain price of £1750. The car was pretty solid but mechanically worn out. I bought it from someone who was very enthusiastic, but didn't have much spare time & couldn't store it at home. I spent the next nine years restoring and mildly modifying it (mechanically). In between this lot, my daughter was born in 2004 and in 2007 I decided to extend the house, doing everything myself to keep costs down (i aint wealthy). Now this lot tends to limit time for hobbies and it has to be said my wife has no interest in old cars. I still managed to do bits & pieces on the Chevy in between brick laying, nappy changing and "family stuff", but I did put it up for sale a few times to test the water, but each time I hadn't got the heart to sell it (a 59 or 60 Impala had been my dream car since I was young).

Fast forward to 2009. The Impala was more or less finished. Everything being done by myself (including painting) in a 21' x 18' garage next to the house. Proud? You bet. It sounded and looked pretty damn good. But it just wouldn't run right. Over-fueling most of the time, but I managed to get it running well enough to go for an MoT (using a recover truck to get it there). November 2009 and it got its first MoT. January 2010 and it got its first ever UK registration. I felt like a new dad again, but thanks to the crap weather and this running issue I couldn't use it. The weather got a bit warmer and with Drayton Manor as its first debut I decided to call in a few favours to sort the car once and for all.

Now, I've been into this scene for 24 years, to save you the maths, I'm 40 now so I started at 16. Over the years I've built and restored several cars and helped out with even more. I'm a nice guy, too nice I constantly get told, nice enough to now realise I have "MUG" on my forehead. Over those years I have worked on many cars for "friends" for no reward as I firmly beleived that mates help each other. I am (now) ashamed to admit that I even paid for a lot of bits for a "friends" car that came to just shy of £3000 on the understanding that when/if he sold the car, I'd get that money back. The car got sold and the so called friend dissappeared. I'm still in contact with those "mates" that have been around for 24 years so I made several phone calls to explain the problem with the Chevy to try and sort it. To try and jump over that last hurdle. Not one single solitary ****er came round. No-one. Nobody. I had a few offers from folks I've known only recently (thanks, you know who you are) but they admitted that they didn't know what the problem was. I needed someone technically minded with V8's to come round & diagnose the problem. I simply didn't have the time to stand in the garage for three or four days going through everything myself. The weeks passed and help didn't arrive. The scene might well still be bouyant, but the "mates visiting garages" bit seems to have died out with Jag IRS's.......

Spider bites! Remember those? Since about 2006 I started to come out in bites when I went in the garage. The cars gone. I still get them. They aren't bites, they are a reaction I get when I get stressed. I was getting so worked up about not having my dream car finished that it was litterally making me bad. This, coupled with high blood pressure and very recently being diagnosed as suffering with depression was the trigger to selling the car. If the car was the root cause of my illness, it had to go.

I advertised it reluctantly on here, the NSRA and EBay at a price that many said was too low. I had many phone calls and emails from the biggest collection of time-wasting tossers you could imagine. I've emailed more photos of that car to "potential buyers" than I have of my wife bending over. Please remember that although the car looked very nice it WAS NOT perfect. It wouldn't run properly and needed fettling to make good. BUT the base was a damned good point to start from.

The price I put on the car was £6000, a realistic price I thought, but perhaps a bit too high for a car that had (a few) faults. I knew I'd take £5000 for it. I also knew that with the bits & pieces finished off it would have a figure of £8500 on it (the car isn't as desirable as a 2 door coupe, but being a pillarless is more desirable than a 4 door sedan, also it was originally a desirable 348 car). But I couldn't do the final bits & pieces.

Enter Andy (TheRestorer1967). Andy contacted me & living in Cornwall made it awkward for him to "nip over one evening" to look the car over, so I described it the best I could over the phone, warts & all. Andy made me an offer over the phone of £4650. Too low? Maybe, but how long do I wait for a genuine buyer to push his way to the front of the time-wasters to perhaps get another £700? I'm crap at selling cars at the best of times!

Andy paid a deposit as agreed, collected the car as agreed and paid cash as agreed. He got a bargain and he knows that, but he was genuine and I got rid of something that was affecting me physically. I didn't realise he was a dealer, but I kind of had a feeling that he was going to move it on & make some money. He's managed to get more done on that car in two weeks than I would have done in two months (or even years). £10,500? Optomistic for a sedan, but it didn't sell. If its had a new interior (the original was tired) then maybe £8000.

Please remember that Andy didn't come on here boasting about making nearly £6K profit on a car he's owned for two weeks, someone else posted that. If Andy does sell the car, its a good one if anyone wants one. If a rich relative of mine dies within the next few weeks I might even buy it back. In fact I might just go and see what the payout circumstances are on my wifes life insurance........
    Last edited by English Impala; 04-06-2010 at 10:03.

Exceeded sell by date Plumpcars's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bloody good post and hopefully an end to the matter.
    Hope you get something when the time is right Gary.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Jeez, don't you just love people who *read* and abide by the very few rules we have on this site

Gary, lacked at your request mate

Oh, and keep 'em peeled. Shouldn't be long before we have a classifieds area where people can't spoil other peoples advert through 'chat' moaning
    Meep Meep.
    My Intro

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread Information