Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  0
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think you've taken the first important step by actually asking people for input- a lot of show organisers don't bother!
    Atmosphere is everything at these shows,

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Input from a newbie

You have to be careful where in Cornwall you think about doing this. I do the Riviera Run most year's with the Mini crowd (now that's a big pool of cars) and every year less people are going and it's rumored 2014 will be the last in Newquay. I also heard that Run to the Sun (VW) has been pulled due to Newquay council wanting to much money to police the event.

As others have stated you can not "as a new event" go up against Wheels Day, sorry to say but you will lose as that show "works" and is busy rain or shine. Probably better to move the show to another weekend later in the year.

I think these are what attract people to an event for the weekend.
    Clean toilets and showers plenty of them
    Cabins or Glamping options (caravans can be rented to put on site)
    Quiet camping zones
    Day time entertainment (monster trucks, stunt drivers, fair rides, bouncy castles etc.)
    Maybe an optional cruise, with a stop for cream tea.
    Show n Shine day, if people don't want to go for the weekend they can just turn up on Sunday for the day.
    Public only allowed in on 1 day, controlled with wrist bands so non payers can't sneak in.
    No movement of cars after a certain time.
    Plenty of traders and auto jumble.

I'm a grown up member now !
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dawolverine - Thank you for your input - we do want to make it "spot on" The group as a whole go to quite a few shows, and we have some good idea's but at the end of the day it's you guys we want to come to the show, so we want to listen to you!

bluffin - Again thank you for your input. I'm not sure about the Riviera run, but it looks like the run to the sun turned out to be a bit of a "stunt" as it has now as far as we know been resurrected.. only time will tell...

The main problem with doing shows like this is the council / insurance / Health and safety / Traffic management.We already have a show ground with all the right permits, Insurance and licences in place. One of the organisers runs a traffic management business, another works for the council as a health and safety advisor, so we do have a good team - that side of it anyway lol. We're lucky you would not believe some of the red tape that needs cut! It makes it very difficult to do anything these days.

I am a little worried about our timing though. no dates have been set so I'll be bringing this up at our next meeting.
    All your other suggestions are spot on.

Thanks again

Ian
    Saved so far - 69 Cortina - 64 Humber Sceptre - 63 Zephyr V8

Projects - 57 Plymouth Belvedere - 72 Mercury Monterey

5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

I'm a grown up member now ! gibbo1957's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Ian I am on the committe that runs wheels day next year is the 40th anniversary it is allways on good Friday the weather always plays a big part in the financial sucess of the show we have had Snow rain and sun all in one day but as its a one day event only we seem to get away with it I have just come back from the Calstock bike show 3 day event quite succesfull in cornwall my advice would be think about the time of year as easter moves about by a few weeks good luck and be prepared to run your selves ragid

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Gibbo,

Congrats on the 40th anniversary not many make it that far!

I'm having a good look at dates, I wonder if the good people of this forum would like to list the shows they go to and when they are?

Maybe I can spot a hole in the many events taking place..

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    From a purely personal point of view I would love a show to go to in Cornwall (or Devon come to that) as there are some wonderful historic places, gorgeous scenery, interesting roads and pasties .
    Having said that I would not choose it over Wheels Day. I would like to see a sort of southern version of Hot Rods and Hills with a decent cruise out etc. purely static shows for more than one day bore me as I was banned from bouncy castles many moons back... Also, not being a family type it's nice to have an area where kids aren't welcome (I know, I know) where I can relax, drink, swear and tell rude jokes - not worried about offending adults as they can make up their own minds but kids shouldn't be subject to certain behaviour...
    And due to our changeable weather somewhere under cover is always a good idea.

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie farl cogetty's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cptpugwash View Post
    beer,strippers n hotrods
    yes yes and yes

you need a mens only tent with strippers not the burlesque type and cheap beer

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by farl cogetty View Post
    yes yes and yes

you need a mens only tent with strippers not the burlesque type and cheap beer
    That means providing one for the ladies as well... lol

** Account Suspended **
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I love to eat good food, I hate to eat bad food. When im hungry I get grumpy, so im told. Many shows have very bad catering vans - Choose them carefully? I know, I don't go there for the food, but it helps keep us all happy.

Official RnS Addict BaronVonVVankel's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ianandangela View Post
    At the moment it's a Vintage / Hot Rod / (old) VW type show.
    Quote Originally Posted by mike noble View Post
    i'd assume no one from outside devon and cornwall will show up, you will get a few for sure but many will make positive noises but will never venture far from the M25.
    Just back from a week in Devon and the number of VW Campers on the roads down there these days is comical (I imagine theres probably even more in Cornwall), are you sure youre not going to get overrun with the things? I doubt you will get many Hot Rods driving hundreds of miles to a VW show.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information