Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  0
+ Reply to Thread
    I'm a newbie !
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

Accross the pond new guy...

Hi all,
    I am a 78 years old hot rodder, living in Washington state, USA. I just completed building a T Bucket, actually a '26 roadster, using a '63 Olds 215ci aluminum engine, sister to the Buick 215, and the fore runner to the Rover V8. In '61 - '63, Olds used a 3 speed automatic often referred to as the 'mini slim Jim', and it was pretty much a piece of junk, with terrible shift habits. The Buick used a 2 speed automatic, called a 'Dual Path', which is not a bad trans, very small in size, but weak. (Both of those trans were only built from '61 to '63, and are getting hard to come by here.) I chose the Dual Path for my T bucket, because of it's tiny size. (On a T Bucket, you need all the foot room you can get!) The bad news is that my junk yard supplied Dual Path trans has burned out clutches for reverse. A rebuild kit for this trans is about $400 US$. Finding someone with experience and knowledge on this trans that can actually perform the rebuild is near impossible.

As an aside: I like the Olds head design better than the Buick design, as they tend to breath a bit better, and the valve covers are set at an angle similar to a Chevy, which to me looks better. It's pretty much a wash though, either Olds or Buick and pretty much the same, with almost total parts interchange, and many parts interchange with the Rover version. For example, I'm running Rover exhaust manifolds since mine were cracked, and a Rover starter, because it in geared and allows me to run a small garden tractor battery in the car. PS, The car just squirts as it is so light, with my tubing home built frame and thin glass body!

All that trans talk is the bad news, the good news is that since this engine is the same bell housing pattern as the Rover V8, any automatic that bolts up to a Rover should also work on the Olds. AND, there is more good news, I happen to have in stock an '85 Jag XJ6 trans that is freshly rebuilt, it is a BW65. I understand that some SD1 Rovers used the BW65, so I'm thinking that I could use this trans, if only I had the parts to mate it up to the engine. I'd for sure need a bell housing, perhaps a flax plate, spacer(?), torque converter, etc. as well. I'm here looking for information on this setup, as all my internet searches have come up dry. IE, what years SD1 used the BW65/66? Did any other Rovers use that trans? Etc.

I know there are many extremely knowledgeable dudes on this site, so I welcome information from all. I also have a bevy of other cars and rods, so I may have some knowledge and can contribute in other areas on this forum.

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Is the bellhousing removable from the jag box or is it all one casing?, some Rover autos had removeable b/h some do not.
    The box fitted to the late 80's Range rover (4wd with o/d )is full of Torqueflite 727 internals, not many know that LOL
    When I built my Rover engined Sierra (your Makur) I put a t5 in it with the adapter between the trans case and the b/h...not between the b/housing and the back of the engine.
    Lots of folk have done this, so I hope someone can answer with a bit clearer info for you.

68roadrunner

I'm a newbie !
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarv8 View Post
    Is the bellhousing removable from the jag box or is it all one casing?, some Rover autos had removeable b/h some do not.
    The box fitted to the late 80's Range rover (4wd with o/d )is full of Torqueflite 727 internals, not many know that LOL
    When I built my Rover engined Sierra (your Makur) I put a t5 in it with the adapter between the trans case and the b/h...not between the b/housing and the back of the engine.
    Lots of folk have done this, so I hope someone can answer with a bit clearer info for you.

68roadrunner
    Jag box is a removable bell housing. It would take a smaller adaptor to marry the two between the bell and trans, and I do have a couple different bell housings that bolt to the engine (one for manual trans, one off an Olds slim Jim), but of course stock parts would be preferred. I've done a couple adaptors myself in the past, but it is tricky getting everything lined up properly. Thanks for the thoughts.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information