Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

Belle Vue & Rainy City Cruisers

11K views 39 replies 22 participants last post by  Photosbycolin 
#1 ·
Hi all,

Just to introduce myself - I'm Rodger Attaway. Hopefully some of you may remember me..... I, along with Graham Kelsey, used to organise the Rod & Custom Shows at Belle Vue and we both had a bit to do with the early days of Rainy City Cruisers.
I'm still married to the same girl, Corinne, and have two lads. Recent rodding involvements have been helping Dik Stapley run the Multi-Storey Show in Hull and attending the Hot Rod Holiday.
And I'm putting together a book about the Belle Vue shows... but more of that in a different thread

Regards,
Rodger

#2 ·
Hi Rodger, it's good to have you aboard. I exhibited at a couple of your excellent shows. I've still got the pennant from the fist Show. I was on the Leicester club stand with my nearly finished 5 Window, Terry Riddle's 'T' and the late great Mick Cooke's Camaro. Those shows were great for the hobby.
Rog.

#3 ·
Aye Up Roger, ;o) Remember you and Graham well had some great fun up at York Street, the Sunday runs out and spent some coin when you had the shop in Graham's Mams front room in Stockport, then the posh shop, Yes fond memories.
Is there any progress with the film Crusin loads of people keep asking me about it... and not the Al Pacino one either... Great to hear from you, had an e-mail from Steve Myatt the other day to, we cant get this out of our systems can we.

#4 ·
welcome Roger

Welcome roger, we dont know each other but I remember you from the dare I say the old days when you could see a street rod on the road every day as someones daily driver anyway greetings from another newby :smoke:

#5 ·
Welcome roger, we dont know each other but I remember you from the dare I say old days when you could see a street rod on the road every day as someones daily driver anyway greetings from another newbie WE all hope you post a few photos !! your car or even someone elses:rofl:will you be getting involved with the show scene again because we dont see many shows up north anymore:smoke

#6 ·
Hi,

Many thanks for the welcome...
Yes Rog I remember your white 57 Chevy.... beautiful.

Holmsey, I'm still trying to get `Cruisin' sorted out. Got a friend (was the sound man at BV) on the case as he's in the film business and Curtis Clark is a big wig in the American Cinematography (?) Association. Seems they don't talk to ordinary folks! But we keep trying. we've established that he sold the rights but it's finding out who holds them now.

Nice thought but I wasn't planning to run any more shows... at my age?

Thanks again
Rodger

#9 ·
Hi,

Many thanks for the welcome...
Yes Rog I remember your white 57 Chevy.... beautiful.

Holmsey, I'm still trying to get `Cruisin' sorted out. Got a friend (was the sound man at BV) on the case as he's in the film business and Curtis Clark is a big wig in the American Cinematography (?) Association. Seems they don't talk to ordinary folks! But we keep trying. we've established that he sold the rights but it's finding out who holds them now.

Nice thought but I wasn't planning to run any more shows... at my age?

Thanks again
Rodger
Wellcome Roger. The Bel Vue Shows were great even with the bomb scares. Dont for get Shutdown also Curtis Clark production be great to get both on one DVD i am sure they would sell well. p.s. what happened to the 1957 Handyman TLR 60. Cheers Ken.

#7 ·
Hi Roger

You may remember me as an eary Rainy City Cruiser . I had a Moggy van named Chunky which I used to turn up to York street on cruise nights painted a different colour each week. Was also at the shows and used to pal around with CVolin Blood who had a trick painted Marina which had body mods and tuck n roll draylon interior.

I'm a father of three daughters and grand dad to three grandsons (9, 7 and 3)and a grand daughter of 6 months. I notice you now live in Newcastle under Lyne. What are you up to these days?

Good to hear you're still around.

Take care ... Jon

#10 ·
Hi Ken,

Shutdown is not forgotten. I think that they should both be out there and available to all but before we can do that we've got find who owns the rights. The search goes on and Curtis is the starting point... if only we could a reply from him!
We only had one bomb scare... maybe it just seemed like more!
I'm actually putting a book together about the shows but perhaps I should start a seperate thread about that but it will also have a dvd with it that was filmed at the '79 show.
The 57 went to someone (for the life of me, I cant remember who) to rebuild. What happened after that I've no idea.

Regards,
Rodger

#11 ·
Welcome from a member of rainy city

Rodger welcome ime still in contact withe a few of the origional members and its suprising just how many of them still have ros and things unfinished about them the last time i saw you i had the chopped 100e van withe the v6 in called resurrection, and that was a life time ago and a lot of cars ago, but i am still building and driving them and thats what its all about . Keep in touch all the best derek.

#12 ·
Welcome from a member of rainy city

Rodger welcome ime still in contact withe a few of the origional members and its suprising just how many of them still have rods and things unfinished about them the last time i saw you i had the chopped 100e van withe the v6 in called resurrection, and that was a life time ago and a lot of cars ago, but i am still building and driving them and thats what its all about . Keep in touch all the best derek.

#13 · (Edited)
hello rodger

hello rodger you dont no me ,but you will know my old fella,his name is colin wood [woody] and was in the north cheshire rod and custom with the likes of chris hay,chris sandbach,steve henshaw etc and rainycity mid 80s.he had a garage in stockport a round the corner from you and ive seen pics of your old peters built truck outside there.at the time he was building his gold and brown pop which i have for my profile pic welcome :tup:

Tire Automotive parking light Wheel Sky Vehicle

#16 ·
Thanks for the information re Cruisin'. I haven't spoken to Jon (film man) for a while but think that he'd made more progress on Shutdown. Need to find who holds the copyright. All the snippets of information all help. Thanks.

Derek, Jon etal, I'm just going to post a thread about the shows, maybe you can help?

Cheers,
Rodger

#17 ·
Hi Rodger
Just a quick message to say hello and hope you're well!
Think you may remember me from your rival shop in Stockport the infamous and much loved " Deals on Wheels"
on the A6 (get ready for all the "Pricks on Slicks" type comments)
Had my Model A in the later shows and ran trade stalls there, brilliant times, good luck with the book, got some meories and pics if any use to you?
Was at the first York Street meet, got some pics of Grahams' car and Steve Myatt's consul complete with sump welded on bonnet as power bulge lol!!!

Also remember American Graffitti opening at the Odeon and having some of the cruisers cars outside.

Only people have seen recently were Geoff Ridgeway and remember Chris Sandbach (bought that 57 Nomad from you) he's now in Scotland restoring antique furniture.

Any news on Moggy Mills???

Good luck with the book (Booker prize in the bag) and if can assist let me know.

Steve

#18 ·
Hi Steve,
Good to hear from you. I was trying to think the other day what happened to that Chevy. Did Chris rebuild it? What happened?

Any photos from the shows would be great (and words/memories as well).

The "booker" would obviously refer to the cash&carry not the award in my case!

Remember regularly seeing you Model a around Stockport when I lived there. Still got it?

Stay in touch
Rodger

#22 ·
I'm grand mate!

Is the crafty old fox related to the grey-faced ferret?

You sent me a photo of your bike in the 2nd show that you'd scanned - I have the original for you! Also got some shots Menace - If I remember you may have had something to do with that Pop!?

Cheers mate

#23 ·
That'd be the ex-Jean Tidwell Pop that Smax bought, he originally called it 'Speed Kills' but somebody power-that-was somewhere wouldn't allow him to race it with that on the side... Somewhere it the archives I've got a shot of it in the original paint, from a very early Belle Vue, but here it is on the road after being re-named:

I wasn't massively involved in it -too busy keeping the fuel bike on the strip. But I could tell one or two tales about it......

#26 ·
Well that sorts that out! I'll have to go through again and see what I can find.

I'm trying to discover details of the early indoor shows in the UK, when did you get into rods, bikes etc?

Am talking with various people from those early days and am off the see an archive from 60s & 70s next week. Should be really interesting.

Cheers for now
Rodger

#28 ·
The Pop:That'll be Bardsea then...

Can still taste the burgers marinated in 4 star that a certain Mr 'Odges decided would get the BBQ moving along a bit quicker.....

Still talk to Ian Unsworth about the hastily constructed accommodation formed out of a hefty branch of a tree with a tarp nailed over it! Oh, and the trip to the offy in town in the pick up formed from a 65'ish (?) Ford Galaxy estate with the roof chopped off (another year I guess). ::p

Think I have the original photy of the Pop somewhere.

#29 ·
Chunky, Cruisin' that was the one filed in the King's Hall at Belle Vue. It was the support film to Car Wash in cinemas. There was another filmed at RCS 79 and that one I already have onto DVD. It would n't be proper to advertise them but if you're intested PM me. However I should mention that a longer version , with interviews etc will be with the book.

Bardsea? takes you back doesn't? I seem to remember a certain person deciding he was going to swim across the bay... but then bonnet surfing took over didn't it?
Rodger

#32 ·
Hi Rodger,
I don't think we have ever met, but we seem to have been like ships in the night for around 40 years! When I was racing sidecar with Alan Jones our regular watering hole was The Cock in the Grove not far from Moggies paint shop. Moggy was a freind of Alan's and used to paint the outfit for us ib return for plumbing and tube bending favors from Alan.
2 wives later we bought a GT40 kit from Graham, Ray and co at GT Developments who had moved to down Poole, and here we are again!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.