Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning all and a Happy New Year!

first off let me introduce myself….. My name is Sam, im a 35 year old HGV technician and have been since leaving school at 16!
Over the past few years ive been building a trad T Bucket but after lots of thinking ive decided to dismantle this as with UK regs its just never going to be.
Onto the next project!
Im wanting to build a ‘30 Model A sedan, fully fendered but am unsure of the pitfalls of IVA!
Ive read through the IVA manual and it seems that most stuff is do-able.
Does anyone have any experience of putting a fresh build rod through IVA and what would be the pitfalls for a Model A?
Ive attached a picture of what im wanting to build.
Your help would be greatly appreciated 😁
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive design

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,366 Posts
Been more than one rod put through BIVA including Model As. No issues specific to Model A except maybe fuel tank position but most variations have already been covered.

I supply a small book covering BIVA builds together with details on how to plan for the registration you want . £20 donation to my charity gets a copy and also If yo have a live build then there is also secret support group available on Facebook populated by those building and who have already pased providing support .

·
Administrator
10,112 Posts
Search on here for 'How to get a pro street pop though biva'

here you go;

·
Registered
191 Posts
I believe this build is going for BIVA as well;

Yep it is, it's been said before- plan for BIVA at the start- otherwise you may build something that would be very difficult to modify to get through. The big things for me were getting adequate seat and belt mounts- given the lack of a decent B pillar. Couple this with using MX5 running gear and that gave a plan of what to use and where it would fit.
It's a pain, but I think it's pushed me to build a better car than I would otherwise have.

There's an alternative view that says 'Don't listen to the BIVA doom mongers'. You could just build it, put it on the orginal reg, and hope. Problem I forsee is a rise in clamping down on modified vehicles. If you have the proper paperwork there's no worry.
You could also not tax or insure it. That's just government paperwork rubbish as well isn't it?

Mines a way off BIVA yet though!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys. Thats my thinking. Im just at the chassis building stage so should be able to build it the right way if carefully planned. If only the IVA manual was worded for us mere mortals 😂.
Seatbelts are going to be a nightmare as the body will be glass but with a solid steel frame glassed in should be ok but that just one hurdle to get passed

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
And i fully agree, the clamp down is going to come eventually. I think rodders have been lucky in the past in the fact that most police officers dont relish doing traffic but nowadays with all the ANPR and interceptors always flying around (especially in northants) things will start to change. Just my thoughts 😂

·
Registered
972 Posts
I think you'd be generally OK if you have a current MoT, and almost by implication insurance and tax, and the vehicle doesn't look too outrageous.. Of course, the police officer following you has all the information he/she need within minutes before they stop you, and depending on what you've got, whether they decide to stop you. As has been said many times on this forum, it can potentially become an issue if your rod is in the Historic category, and thus bypassed the MoT. The police officer then hasn't got the reassurance that a third party has checked it all out, even as, and we all acknowledge, this doesn't cover all Construction & Use requirements.

What I'll be intrigued to see is if what were previously historic classic cars can still be classified historic when they've been converted to electric power. Looking at the rules, strictly speaking they shouldn't be.

·
Registered
191 Posts
To elaborate- there's a definite government push to get everybody to buy new 'green' cars. So legislation is creeping to push out the old ones- congestion zone charging, petrol changes, speed limiters, etc. That's got to lead to stiffer enforcement. It won't happen tomorrow, but maybe 10 years and 'the system' will tie up that you're insuring a 5L Ford pop, with no tax or MOT showing, and it'll get flagged. They could even bring back a condition check/mot/whatever for all cars (again, to force those undesireable cars off the road), you'll then have to hope that the tester is willing to turn a blind eye and say 'looks standard'.

We do all have a choice in what laws we agree with and which we don't, we just weigh up the chance of getting caught against the possible penalty.

BIVA had to define some requirements, some of them are a pain, but they are clear and for the mostpart achievable. Plan ahead. Good strong seat and belt mounts, positioned in the defined place, allowing for the correct forward vision. Pay attention to radius of all edges. Correct glass marking. Neat construction with decent looking welds.
Obviously more, but if it's put together well, that's gonna give the tester confidence you know what you're doing.

·
Administrator
10,112 Posts
And lets face it, who wants to not have good seatbelts that could save your life in a crash? or smooth dash boards that dont smash your knees in a crash?
Yes its more difficult to achieve on an older car, but if you ever are unlucky enough to have an accident you will be thankful for BIVA regs.

As stated, it forces you to build a better car.

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,366 Posts
Thanks guys. Thats my thinking. Im just at the chassis building stage so should be able to build it the right way if carefully planned. If only the IVA manual was worded for us mere mortals 😂.
Seatbelts are going to be a nightmare as the body will be glass but with a solid steel frame glassed in should be ok but that just one hurdle to get passed
My dummies guide translate the manual into plain English with tips and examples shown as well.

·
Rod'a'holic
1,055 Posts
Been there done that!

Fully fendered would be easier. As others have said step by step following the manual.

You do not have to use a single doner but what you use from a previously registered car that you have the V5 for depends upon getting an age related plate or Q reg

1 - 13 of 13 Posts