Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been interested in T's and C cabs from when I was 15/16. Then three years ago the moulds for a Dan Woods C Cab resurfaced. I hadn't seen the finished item before and was totally blown away by the Vern Matsushita cab from the early 70's. Since then three other C cabs using the body but not one of Dan's chassis have come to light.

About a year ago I decided to have a go and build my own buck.I used what pictures I could get hold of to scale up from to get an idea of size.

I had the article from Custom Car on Nick Butler's Revenge,so used the same principle to produce the buck. The base and internal structure is made from 18mm chipboard slotted together. The back panel is 18mm MDF. Lower reveal is 6mm bendy MDFand the upper sides and roof 6mm ply. The curve on the upper sides is formed by cutting through the ply with a circular saw at close intervals.

The returns are either ply or for the tight corners strips of bendy MDF. The curves for the back panel and any other internal structure forms were cut using a router and profiles.

Now the filling and sanding starts,but my work is starting to get busy so will not be able to spend much time on the buck, but hope to take a mould from it in the summer.
This is the second internal structure,the first was slightly wider and the floor was narrower at the bulkhead.
Regards Paul.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi,
Firstly thanks very much for the interest and comments on my project.I started building this buck in about November,having already done the internal structure on another which I wasn't happy with some of the sizes on.I have never done anything like this before,always hated woodwork,but must say I have enjoyed it totally.I think it is trying to work out how to create all the curves.I am filling and sanding at the moment but only able to get the odd hour here and there, because I am busy at work.The buck is fairly straight,there is only one area each side that is needing a bit of attention and that is where the upper side meets the belt line.If you look at picture 8,I should have supported the area where I did the angled cut as this has pulled in causing a dent on the outside.
With the chassis I want to have an opposed coil front end similar to the first picture and just a standard Jag IRS at the rear.
I will keep you up dated as things happen,but it will be slow.
Thanks again Paul.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
As I said before progress would be slow,but here are some more pictures of the buck,which is getting close to the filling and sanding being finished.I know I said it was fairly straight but after nearly 8 litres of filler I have been proved wrong.Regards Paul.

·
Premium Member
14,419 Posts
you don't realise 'til you look at the pallets underneath just how big these bodies are. you're doing a grand job there :tup:

·
Gym Junkie
6,213 Posts
I've subscribed to this thread and I look forward to seeing how this turns out, always liked C Cabs since seeing Revenge at Thruxton in the early 80's :tup:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hello again after two years.I have been working on and off on the buck,but it has been a real learning curve.I used cellulose primer and this would crack and also react with the mdf.I was also still getting movement with the buck because the tin shed I had it in had extremes of temperature morning to evening,so in the end I moved it into the garage next to my house.I then got the buck to the best condition I could and took the mould.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts