Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
fresh to the scene
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just bought a 32 ford dually wondering if the front axle is considered a ford heavy its big looks heavy has big rims and brakes and a big lug pattern also is it posable to use smaller spindle with that axle to fit say some spoked wheels

·
Premium Member
5,809 Posts
Sounds like you've got a BB truck. Gavin on here has a 32 pick up that was put together by Steve Dennish at Limeworks. He started with a BB but I'm not sure if he used the commercial axle or swapped in a passenger car one.

·
Nowheresville
3,049 Posts
I have a feeling that only the cab is the same, plus the bonnet and grille. Not sure about the front fenders or axle. Chassis is obviously different for BB models.

·
fresh to the scene
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

looks like it would be a great front axle if i had it bent with a 4 inch drop if i can change out the spindles to have a smaller lug pattern

·
Nowheresville
3,049 Posts
Right, Ford BB front axles are different to passenger car/commercial ones. The sought-after 1932 'heavy' axle has a nice looking slight drop each end, unlike the one in your photo, which is more like a fat Model A one (which is what it really is, as they were used for '30 to '34 trucks as far as I can tell). The spindles are listed for '30 - '34 trucks as well, again different to the light duty ones.

The steering gear and wishbone are listed for '32-'34 trucks only.

PS I can't tell if you can swap car/pickup hubs and brakes onto the truck spindles as it wasn't an option that Ford appeared to have offered. I think you'd have to scrounge up some from somewhere and just try them. I've seen a few rodded BB trucks in magazines and on the web, and they can be pretty cool. I wouldn't want to carry much more than a bale of hay on one with wire wheels though :)

·
fresh to the scene
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
i have another front end on a frame that i picked up the other day not sure of the year though ill take a pic of it and see what we can make of it definitely car or light truck

·
Premium Member
5,809 Posts
Looking at the photos posted on your intro, the cab certainly looks to be 32-34 but that's not a Deuce commercial grille, it looks to be a 35 big truck grille.
The other frame could be Model A?

·
fresh to the scene
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
wow you guys are on it this is the place to be here are some pics of the other front end it has some kinda tow bar hooked to it

·
Nowheresville
3,049 Posts
That looks like a Model T chassis? Don't know about the axle - it looks Model A, but maybe late Ts were also that style?

I think the cab is '33-'34 as a '32 would have a removeable firewall?

·
Registered
727 Posts
As above the cab is '33 or '34 the '32 has a lot flater firewall and slightly inset not stiky out like yours, and the grill looks to be '36 pickup judging by the stiky up v8 badge on the top, the '35 has the v8 badge on the grill.
And the second chassis does look very Model T at the front crossmember and no frame horns, I could be wrong on the chassis dont know to much bout the over 1/2 ton stuff.
Hope this sorts some confusion.
Martin.
And yes I want it you lucky bugger.
And yes the front axle looks like Model A, The spring perch has the shock mount and the brake actuator mount same as A and Different to the set up on the other chassis.
And yes I want that towing thingy, I'd like to see more pics of that from above and behind the axle please.

·
Premium Member
5,809 Posts
I'd agree with both the last two posts and that towing bar looks to be something interesting too. Not sure the T (?) frame would look right under the truck though. The axle on that frame could be what you need though.

·
fresh to the scene
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
i agree the frame does seem to be a bit weak with a little boxing in it might make it a bit stronger and ill have to put wider cross members in to bring the width of the frame to fit the body better i also have an other frame that i found when i was working at a house that has a good front end and had fram horns it has wood spoked back rims on it and the components on the front are in a lot better shape

·
Premium Member
5,809 Posts
Looking at the pic of the rear end, I'd say T but i'm no early Ford expert. For what it's worth, that cab needs to go on a Deuce frame if you can find one.

·
fresh to the scene
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ill look around. i live in a farm town with lots of barns and fields that are now grown in so if i look i might find something. i might end up buying some steel and make my own. cant be to bad. some 2x4 box stock?

·
fresh to the scene
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
it would be nice to use something from these two cars sounds like the front end might be a score well and the cab

1 - 20 of 25 Posts