Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 3" ground clearance to the lowest point which is my sump :eek:

As you can imagine, my bum contracts every time I see a speed bump.

What clearance do others have on their '34's ?

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,496 Posts
As the sump is between the wheels it should be less of a problem on speed humps ( but not on stray bricks in the road !) .

I try to stick to 4 inch min clearance and that has never caused issues

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
I've got slightly less clearance under the sump than you have Gazza but I do intend lifting my car slightly (15" wheels when I find some suitable items), have scraped the sump a few times on raised manholes etc but speed bumps aren't a problem as Kapri says. My main problem is my side pipe is very low and as it's within the wheelbase tends to ground very easily over the apex of bumps, far more so than the sump, just means if I come to an unexpected speed bump I tend to hold up the traffic while I approach at a strange angle!

·
Registered
240 Posts
Like what has been said above, engine sump on ours is not a problem due to being in between the front wheels, however adapter plate and gearbox sump is another matter due to it being mid span along the wheel base!:(
Its very low, it catches often, but i ain't gunna lift it!:shake:

Here's a pic somebody took recently, doesn't really help you, but it seemed apt for the topic so thought we'd share it all the same.:cool:

Cheers
Tc:tup:

·
Having a cuppa
2,629 Posts
Just thinking out loud, have you measured the ground clearance with people in the car. That's bound to make some difference.

from some quick research it seems the maximum height for speed bumps is 100 mm or 4 inches in olde English. We have some particularly vicious ones round our way so I've become very aware of them.

·
Registered
12,559 Posts
I have approx. 3" ground clearance under my header collectors - and yes you need to be carefull with speed humps and on-ramps to garages etc - its perhaps now time to consider a damper ungrade, stiffening things up a little can help.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So I'm not alone with a low sump. I'll look into the shallow sump suggestion ;)

The full width speed humps aren't a problem it's the single type square humps that make me cringe, I tend to drive over two rather than stradle one.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.