Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 20 of 209 Posts

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
1936 Austin 16/6 BOV 287

Edited 12.12.2013. - Just had this moved into the garage section from the Showroom as it has all turned out to be a bit more involved than I first thought and I might get a few more clever suggestions and advice in here :D Also hoping that I can keep up the reports which will spur me on to finish it as I've been a bit lax of late..........

Just unloaded this (thanks to Scottie) October 2010. I've wanted this car since I first saw it near on thirty years ago. It needs a bit of work, some cosmetics, some more serious and it needs the starter sorting, flywheel swapping or maybe the gearbox changing - flywheel and ring gear won't mate up, but hopefully should be up and running soon. Overall it's still surprisingly good considering it was first rodded three decades ago...

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that, I think so too. I've got some serious learning to do to sort various bits and bobs (like the wind open front screen)...
Also, the reg. no. is BOV 287 - I'd love to know some more history on it. It came with three photo' albums of build up photo's, and a plaque from Billing 1985. I know it took nine years to do and was a quality build, and was built by a guy from St. Albans called Nigel Butler. It runs a 4.2 Jaguar lump, lots of Mk10 running gear, a Nick Butler front end and used to be candy red over black. Anyone know anymore?

·
Freak!
458 Posts
Ace John!
Would Nick and Nigel Butler be brothers or father/son then?

Maybe ask on NSRA forum for more info too.

Looks cool though. :tup:

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Chris. The Butler connection? That's what I'd like to know, be cool to find that it shares some DNA with Revenge and Andromeda...

·
Registered
609 Posts

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I checked out the NSRA thread, thanks it was great - some great cars on there, a lot that I remember. No more info' on mine that I could see, but it did keep me from getting an early night....

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Pretty sure there's no connection with the two Butlers.
Somehow I didn't think there would be - interesting coincidence with the two N. Butlers.

Do you think I should have put this in the garage thread? Got a strange feeling there may be more work than first anticipated...now, that'd be a first...

Didn't take long...

Anybody want any chrome shower hose - I'm gonna have about ten feet of it going spare! Oh, those eighties custom tricks...

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hopefully not! The problem with the starter means changing either the bellhousing or the flywheel (and I don't know if that will lead to other things needing changing, like the crank knowing my luck). So as the car came with a new high torque starter the mounting holes have been slotted slightly. I've made up a couple of plates to reinforce that area and we'll see if it works. Thing is, it's damn near impossible to get to without removing the inlet manifold and there is bugger all room down the side of it - and I can't move it 'til I've unseized the brakes and I can't unseize the brakes 'til I've moved it....guh...

·
Premium Member
2,141 Posts
Good to see it's still about.
Here's a couple of bits that may help you.
Cheers, Bob.

1 - 20 of 209 Posts