Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
201 - 209 of 209 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,063 Posts
a mate with triple su's with no working choke fitted one fuel injector into the end of the inlet and ran an injection type (high pressure) pump from a switch that also energised the injector. so the pump and injector gave enrichment for cold starting. only needed a few seconds then it would start right up.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #202 · (Edited)
'Bout time I updated this again... I did manage to get the old beastie fired up in time for its 80th birthday, first time in three years. Sounded great, no smoke, no nasty noises, clutch worked, gears selected. In a burst of enthusiasm I even insured it with the idea in my head of sorting it over local runs before the trip to Hot rods and hills. However, most of the time the garage just hasn't been a very pleasant place to work so I've not done much at all on it since. Just been out there to see what I can achieve and the battery is flat (again) and the brakes are dragging too much for me to get it out of the garage. I know it's my own fault for leaving it so long but I think I've had enough... I think I really must question my lack of progress, in the time that the Austin has been sat I've worked on God knows how many other vehicles, mine and others, cars and bikes including the dailies and our old Subaru pick up and the kit car - and a shitload of work on the cottage. Maybe, despite my romantic visions I'm just not that keen anymore, maybe if a few mates had been involved and it hadn't all come down to me... anyhow, once I've had a chance to decide a price I shall be putting it up for sale or swap/p.x. It really is very close to going back on the road but it has been for the last couple of years and, if I'm honest, should not have been apart for more than a month or two.
To get it running consistently it needs a choke set up, the new electronic ignition timing up and the carb's setting properly.
To get it driving it needs one engine mount finishing, new dampers, the multi adjustable four bar will want setting up and various other tweaks.
It'll also need a few nuts and bolts, fluids topped up, and the wiring for the headlights will need re-connecting where the wings were off.
To get it back to the standard it was when first built... well, now that would take some serious commitment, not to mention deep pockets.
Put like that, a couple of good weekends should see it done but for me nothing on this one has gone to plan, maybe a keen new owner with a couple of keen mates is what it needs...

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #204 · (Edited)
Cheers mate, it could be a lovely car again but at the moment it's a bit of a paperweight! Decided I'd give it a whole weekend of love and attention and make up my mind what to do with it then. Friday I took my Harley for m.o.t. and returned with a flat tyre so that ended up taking up most of the day; yesterday went to move the other half's Harley so I could get to the Austin and that had a nasty, vicious, spiteful bloody nail through the back tyre as well so another day with the tyre levers! Did manage to spend a day on it today, interesting day at that. Initially had no joy again, no fuel at carb's so bodged an old, cheapy Chinese fuel pump on (instead of a nice, shiny expensive one) which cured that problem. Still wouldn't fire so went back to basics again, voltage at coil was dropping from 13volts to 7volts when cranking and no spark at plugs - didn't manage to find a reason for it so open to ideas. Hooked up the coil to a spare Harley battery and tried again, still no spark so after methodically checking all in turn I replaced what appeared to be the culprit, the (nice, shiny, new) electronic ignition, with the old points set up and it burst into life... fantastic noise, clutch down, into first, clutch up and... the f*ckin garage pixies have been at it again, no drive! It sat there in first, quite happily revving away and didn't move an inch! Oh what a laugh I had as we pushed it back uphill into the garage...
'Think God's trying to tell me something.
Still looks f*ckin' cool tho'...

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #206 ·
This ol' thing really does like pushing its luck... Not done any work on it recently as I decided to slim down the fleet a little, sell off a load of spares and organise some space so that working on the car is actually enjoyable rather than a chore to be endured. Been hankering after an early Ranchero for a few years now, if the Austin went it's almost certainly what I'd replace it with, but figure I'd still be best off finishing this old bus first. Got home from the Hot Rod Drags with a new burst of enthusiasm to pull the motor out and sort the trans' problem. Thought I'd fire it up first just to remind myself of any other issues that might need taking care of whilst the motor's out. Left the battery on charge for a couple of days as it's been sat for so long, tried to start the car and...

So instead of progressing with it I've spent the best part of the day cleaning battery acid off the back half of the Austin, three Harley Davidsons, the garage floor and half the drive... Guess that serves me right for getting inspired!

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #208 ·
Bought an old pick up truck at the weekend so it's time to move this on. Really didn't think I'd sell it, but I look at it more as dead weight than as something to enjoy. It will be a wrench to see it go but hopefully a new owner will be inspired enough to sort it and put it back on the road where it belongs... It's been years since the motor went pop and I bought the 2.8 to replace it, with buckets of hindsight (God, I could make a fortune!) I should have stuck to another 4.2 or accepted there was work involved to make it fit and gone for a more simple motor. Despite being a low mileage unit I've never had the new motor running right, and the car has been off the road for so long now that money and time need spending elsewhere on it. I shouted up our local "Rod and custom" crowd hoping for a bit of help or support but, disappointingly, to no avail so I learnt a lesson there, so the new truck hopefully only needs stuff that I'm confident I can repair/organise myself... That said, I don't regret buying it, just if I was going to quit I should have done so sooner and got out and about in something else. Thanks for the various messages and advice I've had from you guys, but end of chapter - let's see how she does on eBay this weekend...

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #209 ·
As a conclusion to this thread... the old Austin went to a new home the other week. It obviously didn't want to leave me as it took about four hours to load and put up every objection possible, including being too wide for the trailer. I wish the buyer all the best with it, a keen new owner should be able to make good progress, I just ran out of whatever it was that was needed...

201 - 209 of 209 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.