21 - 40 of 209 Posts

·
Registered
2,470 Posts

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Thanks for al the interest, replies and comments so far. The starter mod' didn't work so I reckon I'm going to have to make up a new mounting plate for the high torque motor that moves it closer to the flywheel. The gearing matches but it skips on the teeth and won't engage fully. Shouldn't be too much hassle to get made up (fingers crossed), gotta be worth doing properly once rather than bodge what I've got.

·
1972 Formula 350 owner
673 Posts
Nice to see this vehicle again, I moved it the other year when she was in red! Wish you the best of luck with her and i dont doubt for a moment that the results will be rather pleasing! Think i maybe preferred it when it was red though.........

Good luck!

Marc

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Nice to see this vehicle again, I moved it the other year when she was in red! Wish you the best of luck with her and i dont doubt for a moment that the results will be rather pleasing! Think i maybe preferred it when it was red though.........

Good luck!

Marc
Do you remember where you moved it and what condition it was in? I liked it in the red as well, but paint is something that's staying as is at least for a while yet.
I managed to turn it over on the starter today so my template works - just need to make a thicker one with less holes and more metal - a real milestone as far as I'm concerned.

·
1972 Formula 350 owner
673 Posts
Moved it from sussex to Wiltshire i think, was quite a while ago, here are a couple of pics though. (The jag engine went into the back of my disco, and yes....it was bloody heavy!)

Marc

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Thanks for that, I love finding any history...poor old girl looks a bit sad there tho'. I bet getting that motor in the Disco' was lots of fun, it's not small...

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 · (Edited)
You stay away with your white stripes - I'm having a boot mural with a Fruit Loaf album cover, a half naked tart with a boa constrictor, a few flames, a bit of lacework, some ribboning, a handful of bubbles (cor, remember them?),and a daft name ("Austintatious"?!!) with a dagger stuck in it - like any good tasteful 70s/80s rod should have.......................or.................I might leave it black for now.

Not driving yet. Just grabbing a quick tea break from fitting the starter motor - I got a chunk of ally plate off Ebay and made up a new mounting plate, had to move the starter about ten to fifteen mill' concentrically towards the flywheel and about five out from the bellhousing - works a treat now. Just putting it all back together, found that the inlet manifold studs are too long so having to shorten them and recut the threads...hmmm, well at least it's an interesting job and there are only eighteen of them...Also, sorted the electrics, the guy I bought it from pointed me in the right direction on that - still a few bits of wiring to tidy and make safe but everything works. Still aiming at getting it to the next meeting at The Sun and the Wheels at the White Hart over Odiham - it's a possibility!

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
It drives!!!!

It runs and drives. Just had it running for about twenty minutes - oil pressure seems reasonable, a tad lower than I'd like but it did get a bit hot. Got a bit smoky when it was hot as well so it looks like a rebuild may be on the cards at some point, tho' you never know it might settle down with a bit of use -oooh yea I've heard that one before. Clutch is heavy, gearchange is awful, brakes are lousy...but it sounds gorgeous! And I don't think I'm going to need a heater in it...it's also scary wide to reverse into the garage with those wings and running boards...

Time to change my avatar?

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
You stay away with your white stripes - I'm having a boot mural with a Fruit Loaf album cover, a half naked tart with a boa constrictor, a few flames, a bit of lacework, some ribboning, a handful of bubbles (cor, remember them?),and a daft name ("Austintatious"?!!) with a dagger stuck in it - like any good tasteful 70s/80s rod should have.......................or.................I might leave it black for now.

Not driving yet. Just grabbing a quick tea break from fitting the starter motor - I got a chunk of ally plate off Ebay and made up a new mounting plate, had to move the starter about ten to fifteen mill' concentrically towards the flywheel and about five out from the bellhousing - works a treat now. Just putting it all back together, found that the inlet manifold studs are too long so having to shorten them and recut the threads...hmmm, well at least it's an interesting job and there are only eighteen of them...Also, sorted the electrics, the guy I bought it from pointed me in the right direction on that - still a few bits of wiring to tidy and make safe but everything works. Still aiming at getting it to the next meeting at The Sun and the Wheels at the White Hart over Odiham - it's a possibility!
great to see a icon being saved, would love to own a piece of hot rodding history

Can you expand a little on the odiham meet you refer to ? I would like further details and maybe bring the Old Girl along at some point.

Please keep the thread going.

Barrie

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Err, not sure that I wan't photographic evidence just at the moment Chris....ahem...

And Barrie I love the fact that it's got history, and that it's steel and that it's British. Yours aint exactly shoddy - I looked through your thread - if I can achieve half that standard I'll be a happy man and there's a long way to go to get it that good! The meet at The Sun Inn, Coate Water, Swindon is the first Thursday of each month - Wheels at The White Hart, Hook is Sunday, 7th August, there is a thread in the "What, where, when?" section but I don't know how to link to it...

21 - 40 of 209 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.