Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
41 - 60 of 209 Posts

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
I'll echo something I put in an earlier post - "should have gone in the garage thread"...
Got a few bits and pieces done over the weekend. It now rolls as I've unseized the brakes, makes life a whole lot easier - I can get it in and out of the garage without too much trouble. Turns out that the fronts have had some money spent but the rears are a bit thin. Don't know whether they will be up to MOT standard, I'll let the tester decide that. The stop and tail lights seemed to have a mind of their own, they're Model A types and are fitted with parallel pin bulbholders - you guessed it, the bulbs were the staggered pin type and had been forced in and buggered the light units. I cut open an old Kawasaki rear light and stole the bulbholders, huge great things, so I turned them down on my lathe (it's actually a Ferm bench grinder) to reduce their size. The standard bulbholders were removed using a gentle whiff of propane torch as they were held in with two small spots of solder. I opened out the holes in the light shell by pressing an impact driver socket in the vice and fitted my Kawasaki bulbholders - I now have Model A type lights that take readily available staggered pin stop/tail bulbs.
I then turned my attentions on the steering and suspension as to be perfectly honest the steering is fuckin' diabolical. The Nick Butler front end has getting on for two dozen rose joints! Half of these appeared to be seized. I looked at replacing them but had to reconsider, I hate to see a grown wallet cry like that. In the end I settled for a good clean, soaking in WD40, then gradually working oil and grease into them - surprisingly they all seem to have recovered. Maybe having been sealed up with paint preserved them - it didn't even crack as they weren't moving...the steering is much improved from fuckin' diabolical to fuckin' awful. Anyone know anything about powersteering systems - apparently it's off a Pontiac but I can't believe that even an old Yank could drive this badly!
Suspension is peppered with grease nipples, Hooray! Got a good shot of grease into every one of them, gotta be good, but whilst turning the driveshafts from underneath noticed a nasty clunk and the propshaft dropping near half an inch out of line. Pulled the prop and found it had sprung a UJ circlip, fitted a new one, prop back on and drive take up is transformed - clutch judder and vibration gone...yes.
Spotted a host of oil leaks and loose bolts etc. whilst under there but hopefully sorted them all and it seems to be getting there.
Had to stop at that point as the other half's daily ('67 Herald) needed a new set of dampers fitting, job done but out of time for now...still hoping to get it sorted in time for Odiham, main concern now is the steering and the thickness of the rear discs...

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 · (Edited)
Had a bit more of a play with the steering. The belt was a tad loose but the pump (which is mounted off the back of the dynamo, is this normal?) was at the extent of its adjustment. I tried a small "tweak" but ran out of room and the pump fouled on the chassis. Instead, I made up a couple of spacers and moved the top mounting of the pump, the chrome bracket in the picture, about ten mill' out from the side of the block, just enough to allow me to tension the belt. Fired up in the garage and going from lock to lock it feels a whole lot better but I don't suppose I'll know for sure until I get it out driving - fingers crossed...Whilst running it to check the steering I heard a whistle that gradually got louder, that's right a carb gasket leak, seems like just about every nut and bolt on this is either seized solid or hanging off! Hopefully this one should be a straightforward fix, just a new gasket please... Just waiting on a delivery and I should be able to make the electrics safe, how I miss living in town sometimes when I just had to walk 'round the corner to buy bits...didn't get rabbits, deer and herons in the garden then tho'...

Anyone identify this, it maybe Pontiac but year and model, or it might be Jag' and just the box and column are Pontiac? Sorry about the quality of the pic'.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 · (Edited)
Yep, been busy but not busy enough. Not going to make The Sun in it tonight, nor the Odiham do - tho' I might take the Hurricane to that. Spent half today ringing 'round for insurance so playing on the computer whilst waiting for some calls back.
I don't claim to be the best at this playing with cars lark but I do wonder about the mental state of whoever did some of the bodges on the electrics on this...lots of live wires with bare ends just waiting to short against the carb' (!), the petrol pump, and in the boot next to the tank, oh great that could make a proper "hot" rod...a few other bits leave a little to be desired as well. Found out that the windscreen glass (new laminated one) is too big, which is why it won't close properly, and a compression test shows it to be a bit low on err, a couple...well maybe just a few cylinders. The control box was allowing somewhere around twenty volts into the battery, I tried adjusting it as it was practically new but ended up changing it for a forty year old Herald one left over from when I fitted an alternator to Julie's car.
Having said all that it now starts, drives, changes gear, stops, has lights, indicators, horn, wipers (and there lies another story), the doors close and what else does it need for an MOT? I shall try it next week hopefully, lets keep our fingers crossed that the MOT inspector likes it...next target, Allington cherished cars do at the end of the month...
Oh, and I've just discovered that the Harley has a puncture...bollocks!

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
It's great to see old rods being bought back to life :tup:; restoring an original car is bad enough without having to understand someone else's garage engineering. Congrats on the commitment .

Is it only me or did it look better on the slot mags; i just think they match the 70's style perfectly

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
I don't know if these pictures will be of interest to anybody but me - they came from one of the three albums of build up photo's...Don't worry I'm not going to bore you to death with all three albums, just a couple to show the standard of the build back in the late seventies...

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
I love the look on the slots, who knows...? But my favourite pic' I've got has to be this one...

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 · (Edited)
Just looked up Paris House (marvellous invention this interweb thingy) and certainly does look like you're right. I wouldn't have known. The place is a restaurant nowadays, don't know whether it was at the time of the photo'. As far as I can tell it was taken in about 1985 - wonder how he got permission for that one...

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 · (Edited)
Hi ya Chris, 'Think I've reached that stage of diminishing returns - lots of work but not a lot to show for it (not on pic's anyway). Lots of small stuff like finally sorting the wipers so they sweep more than three inches of screen - you know the sort of thing. Made it to the Odiham do but had to go in the Hurricane, 'twas a bit disappointing but had a cracking top down drive in the rain getting there and back, found some great back roads. Hopefully it should be going for MOT next week, it's not in very clever fettle but is desperately in need of a run to suss out what still needs doing...if it passes expect a visit (I'll start saving for the fuel)...
What about yours, been round Ian's yet? If you get bored come on over....
See you soon, one way or another, John.

·
Freak!
458 Posts
Good luck for the mot mate,hope it goes well!
Might pop over next week,on early shift,but got a few things to sort out for mot myself.
Not been to Ian's yet,got the design sorted,waiting for him to call....

·
Registered
505 Posts
Good to hear it's running. What happened that it was neglected like though? Always amazes me that cars that took so long, and probably so much money to build end up getting left to deteriorate. Looking good now thankfully!

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 · (Edited)
Ooh don't I just love old cars...I'm thinking about chopping it in for a nice Subaru. It was all sort of readyish for a first M.O.T. and I was being diligent and checking all sorts, like you do. I tested the voltage across the battery and the reading was "Run for cover it's about to go BANG!" So after pulling half the wiring out from under the dash (necessary to get to the control box), testing the output, recalibrating the voltage regulator etc. etc. I got it all back together and it doesn't seem to be charging enough now, yet the multimeter still reads "Run for cover" - lots more fiddling and faffing...still reads "RFC". Just for interests sake I tried it on the Harley and Julie's Herald and according to the multimeter they're about to go bang as well! Looks like it may have been the multimeter all along (it is getting on a bit) so I'll have to buy another one and reset the control box again before I can take it for M.O.T. Fingers still crossed...

"Good to hear it's running. What happened that it was neglected like though? Always amazes me that cars that took so long, and probably so much money to build end up getting left to deteriorate. Looking good now thankfully!" - Don't know why it got so neglected, it was obviously sold on by the original builder, who spent about six grand and nearly ten years on it, but it has only had a handful of owners the last three of whom haven't even had it on the road. As far I can tell it has only covered around six thousand miles since it was built. I expect I'll find that it's got a fundamental design flaw and that it's impossible to drive!!! Like most rods it does have a few issues(!) - the clutch is extremely heavy and the driving position is a bit awkward but I'm sure these aren't insurmountable problems...

I have got some other small bits sorted and the guys on here have given me some good advice regarding the missing bits on my carb' set up - not going to be a cheap fix tho' (well by my standards of "I can fix anything for a couple of quid").

I have got the horn working tho' and it can even be heard over the exhaust, and I fitted the safety chain from a gas cooker to the bootlid to stop it dropping open as the catches are a bit worn. And during a low moment of not achieving much I cleaned it...and don't it make a difference...even our neighbours' visitors came round to admire it (turned out that he'd owned a Bristol, several Harleys, an Indian and a split window 'Vette so had pretty good taste).

Right, I'd better look on Ebay for a new multimeter. I'm also looking for a really cheap wheel off a late model XJ as I think they might suit it but I don't want to buy a good set just yet as they might not look right. One of these, they run 225*65*15...

What do you think?

41 - 60 of 209 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.