Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1947(?) Wolseley Eight

16K views 28 replies 19 participants last post by  Rabbs 
#1 ·
Thought this would make a nice first post, so here we go...

This will be my first car when finished, not totally rodding it as my insurance will make my wallet cry. (Sucks being a young driver.:tdown:)

Now for the pictures...

I'll stick a couple of pictures on each post, but it wasn't a bad condition car for £500! :tup:

See less See more
#8 · (Edited)
I aren't thinking of doing anything like I've seen on other cars on this website as I'm only 17 and just passed my test. I'd love to get a bigger engine as it's only a 918cc.

Insurance would turn it into an expensive garden ornament. Plans so far, ( And already started ) are to paint the entire car gloss black, put some new chrome strips on the side where they originally were, raise the suspension at the back by a few inches and tint the windows.
Wheels are a pain as I think they're 17" and the bolt pattern is 6x100(I think), so it's difficult to find something that'd fit that's close to me.

And here's a couple more pics :D
Havn't really taken many pictures on every step, so some jump from not painted to painted and such.

#9 ·
Sorry to drag this thread back from the dead, but I hope ArbitTh3ory knows what he has got there. The Wolseley Eight is an extremely rare car. Only 22 examples are known to still survive! It could become a very valuable car in future years, so I hope he makes sure that any mods are easily reversible. Hacking the roof off or making major mods would destroy its value. A collector would pay good money for it, even in an unrestored state. A better idea would be to restore the car to original spec, sell it, and buy an almost identical Morris 8 Series E (which is much more common) and mod that. I'm not anti-modding by any means, but hacking the Wolseley would be like setting fire to a big pile of £20 notes!

#10 ·
Wow, thanks for that AV8R!
I thought it'd be atleast an uncommon car, I've had it almost a year at the end of March and I've only seen 4 other Wolseley Eights on eBay during that time.

I aren't going to make any modifications that I can't reverse easily anyway, I quite like the shape and style of the car as it is. It's a refreshing change from all the Purgeot 106's, Vaxhaull Corsa's and Fiat Punto's similar aged people drive.

I'll possibly upload some more pictures when I have the time to do so. :D

#12 ·
Managed to take a couple of pictures today, it's really close to being finished now and it only took a year!

Looks like an ordinary classic car here.

And here.

But the inside doesn't!
Sadly most of the original interior was awfully damaged, or not even with the car. The car needed a fairly decent change inside, and I quite like how it's turning out.
If you can see in to the right of the steering wheel and under the ash tray, there's a stereo head unit!
Kinda odd having 64 year old car with a stereo where you can plug your phone in and play music. :D

#21 ·
Cheers for all the messages guys. :D
My dad painted the car, you can probably tell from the black paint on the walls in the garage. :lol:

@hurnleft: I think I remember seeing that Wolseley on eBay a month or so before I got mine, quite liked that one.

@bigyellataxi: It's all wood on mine, not sure if it's supposed to have metal behind it or not though.

Hopefully be wheeling it out onto the drive tomorrow after juggling some other cars around, something is wrong with the fuel pump so it doesn't start all the time.
Haven't taken any pictures of it where the entire car is in shot for almost a year so I'll definately take some!

#22 ·
Cheers for all the messages guys. :D
My dad painted the car, you can probably tell from the black paint on the walls in the garage. :lol:

@hurnleft: I think I remember seeing that Wolseley on eBay a month or so before I got mine, quite liked that one.

@bigyellataxi: It's all wood on mine, not sure if it's supposed to have metal behind it or not though.

Hopefully be wheeling it out onto the drive tomorrow after juggling some other cars around, something is wrong with the fuel pump so it doesn't start all the time.
Haven't taken any pictures of it where the entire car is in shot for almost a year so I'll definately take some!
Not a problem dude, it's just that someone mentioned Wolseleys when talking about my dash, but it's definately metal...!!!

#23 ·
Think it's about time to bring this thread back up a few pages from where it's been buried.

I've got a picture to post, but it's been a slow couple of months so it doesn't look much different. The car is roughly 95-99% complete now though.

Main setback at the moment is the regulator, it runs for a while the cuts out. Have to restart the car to get it running again, until it cuts out...:shake:

Going to be getting some hub adapters soon, tyres for it's current wheels are around £100 each, two look very borderline legal!
Thankfully, I've been given a set of Rostyle wheels of an MGB GT from my dads friend. Aiming for some slot mags in the future though!

It also has mirrors on the front doors now lol
(But not in this picture.)

The car was built in 1946, not 1947 like I'd guessed. :D

#25 ·
Not much of an update still, mostly stuff that can't be seen has been worked on.

Runs with it's tiny 918cc engine , moves, stops and all the things it should do. Probably almost ready for an MOT and such soon.

Visible differences:
See for yourself. =P

Just in case you didn't notice, the only visible differences are wheels and the headlight covers. :D

I know the wheels won't be to everyone's taste, but after re-measuring the MG Rostyles (Was paranoid about the wheel size, thanks James D. =P) they did look gappy. After a frantic search I found those ones for £100 with 3 good tyres.

Maybe the next update will have pictures when it's outside the garage...:tup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.