Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine has recently (ish) purchased a 52 chevy stepside. He's got lowering blocks for the rear but the front sits under the leaf springs so blocks wont work. What other options does he have to bring it down a few inches?

Thanks in advance, Bunj.

·
Premium Member
3,454 Posts
Think there was an article in Custom Car a few years ago. When I get a chance I will see if I can find it

·
Premium Member
6,180 Posts
I've seen the front axle put on top of the springs which will drop it 4 inches. It's a cheap way of doing it, but I wouldn't. The clearance to the chassis is only an inch or so and if you put gas shocks on to stop to much movement it will be a hard uncomfortable ride.
The real way is to buy a dropped 'I' beam. They are readily available from the states which is more than I can say for my 46

·
Premium Member
6,180 Posts
I've seen the front axle put on top of the springs which will drop it 4 inches. It's a cheap way of doing it, but I wouldn't. The clearance to the chassis is only an inch or so and if you put gas shocks on to stop to much movement it will be a hard uncomfortable ride.
The real way is to buy a dropped 'I' beam. They are readily available from the states which is more than I can say for my 46
I've got a couple of ideas for mine that may be of use to you. Maybe someone on here will tell me if it'll work???

1) remove and split the springs and turn the top one over to become a reverse eye? The springs sit flat so seems feasible to me and will drop it 1 1/2 inches

2) sit the front axle between the leaves? Spacing blocks will be needed at either end.

Any thoughts?

·
Speed Freak
1,716 Posts
As above option 1 a good idea but not sure about 2 .

Or remove a couple of leaves, the second and third ones from the bottom. Will soften the front and lower about 3 ". About to do this on my 59 apache.

·
Registered
422 Posts
A dropped axle and a couple of leaves removed from the bottom of the leaf pack. Its not as simple as it sounds though as you will have to modify the pitman arm, drag link and bend the steering arm with a acetylene torch . A good site to check out is Nostalgia Sids Dropped Axles. Lots of info on there.

Heres my truck with a 3 inch drop tube axle and two leaves removed. A 6 inch drop in total.

·
Premium Member
3,454 Posts
Found the article only problem is a for a Ford F1 ( well it was six years ago ) they used Posie Dual Flex Springs that have reversed eyes that gave a 2inch drop, might be worth having a word with them to see if they do Chevy ones. If you want to drop your axle try Jerry Denning 01176960370 he might be able to help you out.

·
Speed Freak
1,716 Posts
A dropped axle and a couple of leaves removed from the bottom of the leaf pack. Its not as simple as it sounds though as you will have to modify the pitman arm and drag link. A good site to check out is Nostalgia Sids Dropped Axles. Lots of info on there.

Heres my truck with a 3 inch drop tube axle and two leaves removed. A 6 inch drop in total.
Yep true forgot about that bit.

·
Registered
770 Posts
This is interesting as im looking at doing mine in the near future.

Redoxide, nice looking truck, very similar to mine although mines a bit higher! Where did you get your drop axle from??

Brading - Can Jerry Denning drop axles then?? If he can il be ringing him.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I've just dropped the front of my 47 Chevy 3100. I lowered the rear using blocks and the front by using a 3" drop tube axle. I wanted the truck lower but I didn't want it in the weeds as it must be usable. I can provide pics if required.

Phil

·
Registered
422 Posts
I got lucky on Ebay a few years ago (back when there was some good stuff on Ebay!) A guy was selling it as he wanted a mustang front set up.

The tie rods and drag link have been converted to Moog style and had to drill out the pitman arm ball to accept the tapered shaft.
I made the rear blocks from an old pair of Chevy leaf springs. I cut them with a petrol disk cutter. I removed two bottom leaves from each spring pack.

As with phil k, I didn't want the truck too low, I like the original kinda look.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Thanks for that Brading, il contact him and see if he can help.
You did get lucky Redoxide! I just typed it into ebay and got track rods etc for chevrolet Matiz!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts