Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1958 GMC V8 big back window recovery truck/race car/hot rod hauler

11K views 43 replies 5 participants last post by  v8.jimmy 
#1 ·
Just in from Northern California is this 1958 GMC truck with car hauler/recovery beavertail body.
The cab is in superb condition and is the very desirable big back window version. All glass is excellent, door windows go up and down fine, all handles, etc present apart from vent window handles (I'll see if I have a pair). It has seats from an '80s pickup which do the job and look okay. Cab floor is fully carpeted, carpet has faded in the California sun.
All lights work, but some gauges incl speedo don't at this time and wipers not working either, though they are electric so may be something simple. A set of Dolphin gauges with electronic speedo would be a good and inexpensive purchase as it makes the speedo easy to calibrate for whatever running gear is fitted.
Engine is a 400 cu in crate motor mated to a TH400 auto trans with floor shifter. Both are sweet, can't wait to get the reg number through so I can give it a decent road test and report back.
Brake pedal is a little low but they do work, handbrake needs looked at, will get a look at that shortly.
Tyres are all decent, rears are like new and the full set of 16" Alcoa alloys are in good condition.
Body is 15ft long, 6ft 8 in wide, comes with 6 ft ramps and is apparently a recent build and was never used in anger. It does look heavy but it's the kind of thing you can modify to suit your specific needs if you like. It has a winch mounting plate but no winch.
Great tool to take your ride to the drags, Pendine etc, way kooler than turning up with a Transit or a trailer.
Tax and MOT exempt, it will be UK registered and ready to drive away soon.
Price: £9995
Contact: Jim on 07593 187939 or horn.chevy@blueyonder.co.uk or PM me through this site.

See less See more
#6 ·
Sorry Jay, I should explain that better mate, I overlooked the Chevy Nova connection there. The NOVA is the new customs form that proves duties and VAT have been paid. It gets issued by HMRC to enable UK registration.
PM sent too:tup:

#16 ·
number plates fitted, got some fuel in it and started running about with it. Drives well but will need the beavertail body altered a bit before carrying heavy vehciles as they screwed it up and the tyres can rub. We are thinking of building a complete new body and keeping it, but if somebody wants to buy it, it's ready to go just now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.