Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi there , i dont beleive it, the red 58 mercury that was advertised on here for sale ....is on ebay already via mr classic cadillac,,,great.:mad:

·
Registered
7,436 Posts
If someone is happy with the price they got for it then fair enough.
Traders are bound to be on the look out for cheap cars which they can make a profit on. after all that's their business and putting food on their table.

Personally, it'd just put me off buying from them if I saw it re-advertised like this.

It annoys me when I see it done via my site but as I said before, that's their job.

·
MR UN-POPULAR
2,678 Posts
dont see a problem with it, the guy selling got what he wanted for it, if he wanted more he should have asked! the seller or anyone can use e-bay if he thinks he can get a better deal!
i'm no trader but i always try and get a better deal for myself when trying to buy car's n parts etc( if you have any of the bits i'm looking for please dont read this reply :D) i

·
Mr Cadillac :-)
1,717 Posts
I bought the car via this site, i put my money where my mouth was and invested time and transport costs in collecting it! I was the first to contact the seller and he gave me first refusal.

It needs more work than i initially thought, ie most likely an engine rebuild (or at least a set of rings) as it smokes pretty bad until warm. I had intended to do the welding and body repairs, MOT it and resell it for a small profit as a ready to go car however it needs more work than i have the time and facilites to engage in.

I've put it on Ebay to get my money back and maybe a couple of quid extra for my time. i didnt re-advertise it on here as i felt it would look bad although it appears i'll get slagged regardless. I dont think i was the only one enquiring about the car with similar plans. I was going to leave it for while before listing it but i doubt the response would be any different

As you can see the auction has no reserve, my description is thorough and honest. The car will only make what it is worth at the end of the day.

·
MR UN-POPULAR
2,678 Posts
you've done nowt wrong in my book mate, you bought the car , as you say you were first in! its up to you what you do with it! its just the same buying out the auto trader first come first served :tup:

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
mercury

gotta say i think the man has done the right thing and put lots of pics on his ebay ad with what appears to be an honest description . personally i cant knock the guy for making a buck........but maybe at least contact the other parties who were interested via pm in future and at least give someone who genuinely wants a car advertised here a chance to buy it b4 opening up to a bidding war via ebay.........seems only fair.......no?

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
surely the minute you buy a car it then becomes yours to do what you want with it, might sell it on for a good mark up or be stuck with it for months
thats the chance you take, but likes been said the seller got what he wanted or he wouldnt have let it go, so whats the problem.

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
hi there , i dont beleive it, the red 58 mercury that was advertised on here for sale ....is on ebay already via mr classic cadillac,,,great.:mad:
Any you felt compelled to post a derogatory comment because ?

Buyer and seller meet , deal is done , both leave with a smile on their face ... it's called earning a living .

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
mercury

Any you felt compelled to post a derogatory comment because ?

Buyer and seller meet , deal is done , both leave with a smile on their face ... it's called earning a living .
i dont think he was actually derisory stitch.....if u check the original for sale ad u will see that he looked as if he was genuinely interested in the car for himself......and if u think im taking sides....i aint.....but i did suggest what i think was a reasonably fair solution.

·
Mr Cadillac :-)
1,717 Posts
Thanks guys, i'm glad a few of you get it. You'd think i'd mugged a guy for a pot of gold rather than bought a 50 year old car with a bit of rust and a smoky engine. I'd also add the sellers ad was his only contribution to the forum so far so he definitely got what he wanted out of it.

·
MR UN-POPULAR
2,678 Posts
i dont think he was actually derisory stitch.....if u check the original for sale ad u will see that he looked as if he was genuinely interested in the car for himself......and if u think im taking sides....i aint.....but i did suggest what i think was a reasonably fair solution.
thats a fair comment in the origanal add he did express interest in the car but he was'nt first to do so, just a bit of bad luck.. ive done it myself logged on to find ive missed out on something i was looking for. nothing stopping anyone bidding for it on e-bay might get it cheeper dont think there was a reserve price!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts