Rods 'n' Sods banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This has been a slow burner. Purchased in 2012. House Fire, Life and finally a garage build got in the way. Hopefully time for some progress now.
Long time lurker with limited contribution - time I paid some back.

He it is as purchased in 2012.

What is it - friends tell me a hearse! I thought it was a garden ornament for some time....but no.
Its a 1959 Renault Fregate. Known as a Domaine (Estate), its also (was) a Transfluide model - this translates as a manual gearbox, torque converter and electro mechanical clutch :shake: no id didn't work!

What am I after - a family wagon. Lots of dreams of what I could do with it - now chasing a reality to get it on the road first before the kids are too old to care!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's nice.
Mine will end up as a rod or custom I'm afraid. Just haven't got the spares here in the uk and some of the original parts (where available) are silly prices. So look away if you are interested in a restoration!
Once I get the ruddy photos to upload!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So jump forward to 2019......
Garage is up and for the first time ever work can start in the dry.

Where did I get to.....

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Love it or hate it, I wanted something I understand and can work with. A car to cruse with the family, dog on board and maybe the caravan behind.....automatic, and fitting into the shell without surgery.
This translated to replacing the four pot with a four pot and mounting it forward in the original position.
With a narrow width - you will see the inner wings really close the bay down a twin cam width head would be tight....its pinto powered!....

It will serve a purpose. Every element is built at home and in the true sprit of being a rod - all parts are made to fit.
Exhaust is coming together - no large flow bhp here - just a tight fit.
Injection has been retained along with ford loom to work with the A4 electronic overdrive gearbox.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
I had bigger plans for the Simca, but French regs just dont allow it
If you need any parts specific to your car, PM me and I will search the contacts I have

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
If you need any parts specific to your car, PM me and I will search the contacts I have
That is a really kind offer. PM on route.

I think I have most parts handled or substituted locally - some of the items such as front brake cylinders dont stack up at 95 euros each (four required) - may yet end up changing the entire front clip...other parts seem unobtainable so access to some used items/scrap yards if anything exists would be awesome. I do wonder if the scene for french cars and the rules that restrict modification and use has limited the market in this regard.

Front indicator is a priority. I only need one. I could make do with a single lense, though one complete unit would be easier. Hopefully there is one out there rather than trying to get it 3D scanned and printed.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That is a really kind offer. PM on route.

I think I have most parts handled or substituted locally - some of the items such as front brake cylinders dont stack up at 95 euros each (four required) - may yet end up changing the entire front clip...other parts seem unobtainable so access to some used items/scrap yards if anything exists would be awesome. I do wonder if the scene for french cars and the rules that restrict modification and use has limited the market in this regard.

Front indicator is a priority. I only need one.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
A plan for brakes!

So the original car has drums front and rear, single circuit hydraulics and twin cylinders on the front.

I've considered removing the front clip and going with a narrowed jag/chevy/ford item. Still an option, fitting shouldn't be too bad. About the only positive in these cars when new was good ride/suspension and steering geometry (I'm informed) - so seems worthwhile trying to use what is here.

Working with the original equipment I have fitted a Wilwood twin master - this will allow me a twin circuit install for safety. Fitted nice in the original position just needed a bespoke mounting bracket.

Drums will be skimmed, shoes relined and looking at having cylinders sorted with Past Parts.
Hopefully brakes will be sufficient - its not race car and power isnt far away from the original.

Im now playing with the suspension. Its a double wishbone design - shocks look simple enough to source.
Anyone keen to offer advice on air ride? Rear would be straightforward - front would need a shock through spring style. Any suppliers on here? I would like to drop it for style over substance.

Suspension bushes are a problem. All odd metric sizes - have obtained some stock poly material. Looking at turning my own bushes - any tips for this material in the lathe?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Whilst I am at it asking you all questions. Thought on running with original wheels?
Space is tight in the rear so original rims (odd pcd as well) would be a practical route. Probably use. 155 r15 with wide white.
Question. The wheels are riveted and couple are fairly rusty. Originally they would have tubes I assume.
Would you blast the wheels and weld them for safety?

·
Registered
842 Posts
Love this project. Not on the same scale, but in terms of spares support it reminds me of an early '50s Moto Guzzi Super Alce 500 (ex military bike) I bought off an Italian bloke at Beaulieu many years ago. If you could get bits, they had to be specially imported at horrendous cost, so everything I did was using generic stuff or making/adapting parts. My wife thinks I'd make a good Cuban mechanic (as long as there's no electronics involved)!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Love this project. Not on the same scale, but in terms of spares support it reminds me of an early '50s Moto Guzzi Super Alce 500 (ex military bike) I bought off an Italian bloke at Beaulieu many years ago. If you could get bits, they had to be specially imported at horrendous cost, so everything I did was using generic stuff or making/adapting parts. My wife thinks I'd make a good Cuban mechanic (as long as there's no electronics involved)!
Cuban Mechanic - I love that. So much positivity attached to it if you understand what it takes. Brilliant.

I build one project every 18 months or so, some are big, some very small. Many can be cheque book in approach - I've a MGB on the go at the same time and you look at a part and think - where shall i buy that. Its far more enjoyable to have the challenge of how do i do that. I'd love to take on a Panhard next, possibly a PL17. Would be great to buy one that works but it will be a challenge of course.
Have to push on with this one as the A Team van is waiting outside for paint!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts