Thanks to a fregate group on facebook and a friend talking to a seller on lebicoin in france I posted euros (I know, he wouldn't accept any kind of electronic payment) and waited for a package to arrive. Expecting nothing of course.
Now we have a pair of indicators for the front. These have been really hard to find, seems like they were fitted for just a year or so at the end of production.
Raiding the parts bin, I've added Rover P5 trim rings, used lamps removed from dads Amazon.
I was able to re-cycle the original switch on the column to provide side/main and flash with a dip switch on the floor. Excuse the dog - any prospect of a ride in these lockdown times.
No roaring V8 here.
But the pinto is in with all its efi working.
The auto box feels a little confused when driving. Possibly the shock from storage or low fluid.
I still need to add an auto cooler - anyone have thoughts on location under the car and fan cooled? How would you trigger the fan? Do I use a feed from the cooling fan switch or some kind of inline gearbox temp sensor?
Would love to talk gearbox wiring with someone! Sad life I know. I have the correct ford auto relay, 4 terminals. The Haynes wiring diagrams all talk about a 5 terminal relay and list the pin positions with a completely different code. I have just two pins to resolve!
Holding off on the final loom wrap - just in case there is a little more required.
Exhaust benefits from wrapping - more to hide my gorgeous fabrication skills!
Brakes have gone broadly to plan.
Drums all received a pro skim.
Past Parts rebuilt all the wheel cylinders.
I've added a wilwood master and plumbed it all with new pipes with a dual circuit rather than single.
Feels ok from the first short drives. One leak to resolve on a rear joint but performance is better than I expected. Weight wise all is comparable with the renault and sierra both around the 1200kg mark and power hasn't increased drastically.
Picture just for the hell of it!
Brakes lead me to wheels I guess.
I've left the front standard - added some wider 175 tyres on a 65 profile. Need to look at lowering the front, I think the spring design will allow an easy cut to close the gap and give a nose down stance.
Rears I have had banded, 1 inch to the outer. Local tyre shop found me some 185/80r15 car tyres (not van) - am really happy with the fit.
Rear lights were a challenge. It would have had red indicators of course, was keen on keeping standard until I found left and right units have completely different insides.....seems someone has been here before me.
So some bolt on blinkers it is - actually many drivers drive blind I think so orange should be safer.
Reverse light found from the box of useful things to keep - actually triggers from the gearbox as well!
Side marker lights were shot inside. Used replacements at £200 from france has seen the solder and glue guns employed to repurpose these as side repeaters.
Happy with that.
Transmission issues next. Going to get the propshaft to a specialist this week. Think my DIY section is way off - front piece is short so was worth a go. Hopefully that will cure the bad vibrations in the driveline and it can take some proper runs out.
A forum community dedicated to UK Hot Rod & Street Rod owners and enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about Hot Rods, builds, performance, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, maintenance, and more!